DIY AT Fabric -- Landscape Fabric? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 5 Old 05-25-2015, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 285
DIY AT Fabric -- Landscape Fabric?

Home Depot sells Scotts Landscape Fabric for dirt cheap (pun intended). It's this:

It has a few things going for it:
  • Easily passes the "blow test" (acoustically transparent)
  • Black
  • Cheap ($1.80/yard)
  • Readily available (HD)

So does it make a good AT fabric?

The Look

Up close, the fabric has a quilted pattern that's not unattractive. It doesn't stretch very much at all -- think canvas, in terms of stretchability:

It's very thin and notably see-through depending on what's behind it. Here's a quick panel I threw together with a white primed frame and yellow OC 703:

That's sort of a look in it's own right, though. It almost looks like an intended pattern in person.

If you build wall panels with it, then the see-through ability is magnified:

If you shine a light through it (even indirectly), you will see what's behind it unless everything is flat black.

Does it Burn?

Another hallmark of fabric intended for use in wall panels (like Guilford of Maine) is that they are flame spread resistance. Specifically, GOM fabric is ASTM E84 Class A rated, which is the lowest flame spread. How well does Scotts Landscape Fabric hold up in that respect?

I decided to test that out myself and posted the following video:

The TL;DW is that it is one of the fastest burning substances I've ever seen. It's made of some kind of plastic, which instantly sets on fire and burns through very quickly. It drops molten blobs of plastic the entire time it burns.

The Conclusion

I'm using it pretty extensively as a temporary fabric, but I probably will replace all of it with something a bit more safe in the final iteration of my theater. It works "okay" for now, but the thinness plus the safety factor make it less attractive to me in the long run.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7841.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	737578   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7815.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	737586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7813.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	737594  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Yesterday, 05:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post
... it is one of the fastest burning substances I've ever seen. It's made of some kind of plastic, which instantly sets on fire and burns through very quickly. It drops molten blobs of plastic the entire time it burns.

The Conclusion
I'm using it pretty extensively...

Do you have a family in that house? I have 53 yards of GoM... way more than I'll need. How much do you need?

Or was this an arsonist's joke for the "Phoenix Theater... rising from the ashes"?
post #3 of 5 Old Yesterday, 06:05 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
We did the same test at White Oaks and were very concerned. Actually Auburn held the fabric out over the edge of his deck and hit it with a lighter, he couldn't let go fast enough and burned his fingers. Then we wrapped the OC 705 with a layer of the landscape fabric and a layer of GOM. Couldn't get it to hold a flame, melt yes, but it couldn't sustain a flame.

Our goal was to cut down the shine through of GOM and it worked.

If you like the look of the fabric you will probably like Medium Grey GOM FR701 That is a tweed mix of greys not monochromatic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1102.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	737882  

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; Yesterday at 02:28 PM.
post #4 of 5 Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

Do you have a family in that house? I have 53 yards of GoM... way more than I'll need. How much do you need?

Or was this an arsonist's joke for the "Phoenix Theater... rising from the ashes"?
Heh, no, but I do stress the "temporary" part of my use of it. I'm building my theater in two distinct phases ("Minimally Viable Product" and "Full") and just needed a cheap and essentially disposable fabric for some uses for my upcoming MVP release next week. It'll all be replaced with more robust fabric for my Full release.

As my wife says "no open flames in the theater!"
post #5 of 5 Unread Today, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 1578
I like your threads Kurt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version