Upstairs Home Theater Room from scratch - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-29-2015, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Upstairs Home Theater Room from scratch

Hi guys,

I live in Australia and I'm currently having plans drawn up for my new house to be built. I need to give the architect room dimensions for my home theater room.

I have picked the seats out already which are:
Rear row - 5 recliner seats angled with 2 consoles.
Front row - 4 recliner seats angled with 2 consoles.
Rear row will be set on a riser with my gaming computer setup and receiver cabinet behind.

The rear row sits 4.6m wide. But width isn't the issue.
Obviously i need to have a certain distance between the front row and the screen. To know this distance, i need to choose a screen size.

I plan to have a 2.35:1 setup with retracting black panels for 16:9 content. Will have a 4K projector, unsure of JVC or Sony. Will depend on whats available at what price when the time comes to make that purchase (will be a few years so id imagine prices will have dropped a fair bit by then).

Just looking for some input to what size screens people have gone with and why. basically i don't want to go too small and be disappointed , but i also don't want to go too big and be overwhelmed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seats.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	743417  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-29-2015, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew Bambridge View Post
The rear row sits 4.6m wide. But width isn't the issue.
Obviously i need to have a certain distance between the front row and the screen. To know this distance, i need to choose a screen size.
No, it's the other way around... Figure your seating distances, then choose the screen based on that.

If you've got total flexibility on room dimensions (length), try shooting for around 10-11' for your front row. Far enough away that you wouldn't see weave or patterns in an AT screen material, but no further. Adding more front-row distance just increases the screen size needed to get the same viewing angles, which will place more light burden on the projector.

Also, given a proper layout, you don't need curved seating. If you like it, fine, but especially with a 2.35 setup, all of your seats should be inside the screen width.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 14 Old 05-29-2015, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
...The rear row sits 4.6m wide. But width isn't the issue.

I plan to have a 2.35:1 setup with retracting black panels for 16:9 content. Will have a 4K projector, unsure of JVC or Sony. Will depend on whats available at what price when the time comes to make that purchase (will be a few years so id imagine prices will have dropped a fair bit by then).

Just looking for some input to what size screens people have gone with and why. basically i don't want to go too small and be disappointed , but i also don't want to go too big and be overwhelmed
I just completed a room with 144" wide 2.35:1 AT screen. My front row is 12 ft. back from screen (to eyeballs). If I had the room size, I might have made it 13 ft., but I find I have adapted to the giant screen pretty rapidly.

My room is 19 ft wide by 22' deep. I wish I had another 3 ft. or so of depth, but it wasn't in the cards. The new rooms looks and sounds great!
post #4 of 14 Old 06-04-2015, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
No, it's the other way around... Figure your seating distances, then choose the screen based on that.

If you've got total flexibility on room dimensions (length), try shooting for around 10-11' for your front row. Far enough away that you wouldn't see weave or patterns in an AT screen material, but no further. Adding more front-row distance just increases the screen size needed to get the same viewing angles, which will place more light burden on the projector.

Also, given a proper layout, you don't need curved seating. If you like it, fine, but especially with a 2.35 setup, all of your seats should be inside the screen width.

Jeff
hi jeff,

im very flexible on room size so i can give whatever dimensions i like to suit. so what your saying is 10-11' is optimal?

as for the seat, i kinda like the angled but i suppose straight forward seating would be better with recliners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post
I just completed a room with 144" wide 2.35:1 AT screen. My front row is 12 ft. back from screen (to eyeballs). If I had the room size, I might have made it 13 ft., but I find I have adapted to the giant screen pretty rapidly.

My room is 19 ft wide by 22' deep. I wish I had another 3 ft. or so of depth, but it wasn't in the cards. The new rooms looks and sounds great!
Hi LeBon,

do you find the 144" 2.35:1 big enough or too big?
post #5 of 14 Old 06-04-2015, 06:04 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
I'd do a 140-144 inch wide 2:35 screen and put the chair backs for the first row at 12-13 ft from the screen Add at least 6 1/2 ft for the second row seat backs try to leave space behind the second row so you are not sitting on top of the surround speakers. I'd also leave room up front for a false wall to hold the screen and hide the speakers.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-04-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
do you find the 144" 2.35:1 big enough or too big?
For me, the 144" screen is just right for my room size. Others who have seen it also seem to like it. I think the psychologists call it "confirmation bias" (where you ignore evidence that doesn't fit your ideas, for example, hearing the difference in a $500 power cord for your amplifier...), but I am very happy with it.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-04-2015, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I went 130" wide 2.35 screen with 10ft viewing distance and LOVE it. It is almost wall to wall.

If I had more room width I would have gone maybe 10" wider.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #8 of 14 Old 06-04-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
but i also don't want to go too big and be overwhelmed
Where do you like to sit in a theater? I found that from 12', 12' wide (which was wall-to-wall-floor-to-ceiling) was FAR too big. I had to turn my head to see the sides of the screen, so following any action across the screen is like watching a tennis match (or Pong, if youre old enough!).

Anyway, without an actual room to try screen size in, I would print a copy of the THX specs for screen sweet spots, go to a theater, sit in your favorite spot and see where it matches up with the THX diagram. Transfer that to your room and calculate dimensions from there.

Here's a link to an old thread that should help you out.

Chart Distance x Screen Size - Standards SMPTE and THX

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
post #9 of 14 Old 06-06-2015, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
I'd do a 140-144 inch wide 2:35 screen and put the chair backs for the first row at 12-13 ft from the screen Add at least 6 1/2 ft for the second row seat backs try to leave space behind the second row so you are not sitting on top of the surround speakers. I'd also leave room up front for a false wall to hold the screen and hide the speakers.
sounds pretty much what ill go with i think

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post
For me, the 144" screen is just right for my room size. Others who have seen it also seem to like it. I think the psychologists call it "confirmation bias" (where you ignore evidence that doesn't fit your ideas, for example, hearing the difference in a $500 power cord for your amplifier...), but I am very happy with it.
thanks mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
I went 130" wide 2.35 screen with 10ft viewing distance and LOVE it. It is almost wall to wall.

If I had more room width I would have gone maybe 10" wider.
thats the plus side of building from scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post
Where do you like to sit in a theater? I found that from 12', 12' wide (which was wall-to-wall-floor-to-ceiling) was FAR too big. I had to turn my head to see the sides of the screen, so following any action across the screen is like watching a tennis match (or Pong, if youre old enough!).

Anyway, without an actual room to try screen size in, I would print a copy of the THX specs for screen sweet spots, go to a theater, sit in your favorite spot and see where it matches up with the THX diagram. Transfer that to your room and calculate dimensions from there.

Here's a link to an old thread that should help you out.
i dont like sitting anywhere in the theatres because of the people haha hence the home theatre build. thanks for the advice though mate.
a friend of mine has a home theatre setup so i might check what size his is and go from there
post #10 of 14 Old 06-19-2015, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

so I've been playing with some numbers to try get this nutted out.

I've started with a 144" diagonal 2.35:1 screen. bottom of screen is 2' from the floor. set the first row at 13' and the rear row at 19' with a 1' riser.

viewing angles for the center seat on each row are as follows:
13' front row - 46° horizontal 20° vertical
19' rear row - 32° horizontal 14° vertical

THX recommends 40° or less horizontal and 15° or less vertical. For THX recommended seating distance divide the size of your screen by .84 (screen size is measured diagonally). So for a 144" screen i should sit at 14.2' according to THX. is 13' going to be too close?

have attached some sketches for a rough idea. Will be setting up an automatic masking system for 16:9 content
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theatre rear.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	784882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theatre side.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	784890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theatre Top.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	784898  
post #11 of 14 Old 06-19-2015, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

room size is 21' x 26.6', 170.6sq' with a 3.3' false wall space behind the screen. so 21' x 29.9', 191.6sq' total.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-19-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd pull both rows forward 2' (front row at 11'). Screen is slightly larger than mine, and I think I'm at 'max comfort' size at 9'. 13' seems too far - is there something in the plan that puts it back?

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #13 of 14 Old Today, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
I'd pull both rows forward 2' (front row at 11'). Screen is slightly larger than mine, and I think I'm at 'max comfort' size at 9'. 13' seems too far - is there something in the plan that puts it back?
No plan that requires the seats to be that distance back. But bringing them closer only makes those angles bigger. And i thought the aim was to get as close as possible to what THX recommends.
post #14 of 14 Old Today, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No plan that requires the seats to be that distance back. But bringing them closer only makes those angles bigger. And i thought the aim was to get as close as possible to what THX recommends.
You're doing a CIH setup - use the screen height when comparing to all the recommendations. Get the 16:9 right, and you'll be fine with 2.35 content, too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction