AVS Forum banner

The Vista

22K views 116 replies 27 participants last post by  ckgolf 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to The Vista. A room with a view...

I guess it's time to start a build thread. I moved into my new house about a year ago and have been planning this ever since. I feel like I should be presented with a degree from AVS University! I officially started the build about 2 months ago.

A little background - I have been in this hobby AKA (sickness) since I was about 12, now 34. I would read all my dad's Stereo Review mags from cover to cover, and dream about the system I would assemble. My first attempt at Home Theater came in 2002 when I bought my first house. I converted an upstairs bedroom into a 12'X15' makeshift theater. I built all my own speakers using Focal drivers, and a big 15" sub. Add an Infocus 4801 projector and I was in heaven.

THE VISTA

Room
23'9"X14'7"
Soundproofed with clips on ceiling, decoupled walls, DD+GG, Solid door w/seals
1st row seats 12'
2nd row seats 17'

Speakers
LCR - 3 DIYSoundgroup 1099
Surround - 4 DIYSoundgroup Volt6
Atmos/DTSX - 4 DIYSoundgroup Volt6
Subwoofers - 4 SI-HT18 18" Martycubes

Receiver
Denon X6200w (pre-ordered)

Amps
INUKE DSP 6000 (subs)
Crown X1000 (Side Surround)
Crown X1000 (Back Surround)

Sources
Samsung Blu-Ray player
Time Warner cable box
Roku
Chromecast

Projector
JVC RS-4910 (Thanks AVS sales!)

AT Screen
Seymour Centerstage XD
130" wide 2.35 CIH

Seats
6 Safavieh Charles George Arm Chairs

HVAC
12k btu Mini Split system at rear of room

Acoustical Treatment Plan
Homemade 4" RPG BAD Absorber/Difusers along side walls.
2"OC703 on ceiling 1st reflection points.
10" pink fluffy floor to ceiling behind screen wall on 10" air gap.

This will be a fun journey!

Estimated completion date: Sept/Oct 2015

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Here's a few shots of the 1099 LCR's. Building these early on was my biggest mistake with regards to starting the theater... I spent WAY to many hours listening to them along with the 2 18" Martycubes. They are outstanding! I don't think I'll every feel the need to upgrade. The soundstage is huge and packs a powerful punch, like a live concert. I love them:)

I've also started the 8 boxes for all the Volt6 surround and height speakers. I'll finish those along with 2 more Martycube subs when the room is almost done.

Attachments

#8 ·
Hey neighbor...good to see upstate representing on here! Build is looking great so far, and it looks like we're at about the same place in the progression. I'm at 14'x23' too, but just going with one row of seats with a bar behind.

How's the building supply out there in Schenectady? There's a warehouse here in Syracuse that carries GG and the 1 5/8" metal track and stud I used...I'm learning that they're sometimes hard to find elsewhere. Also, I'll have several unopened GG tubes that I won't need if you're looking for a discount off of new.

I'm curious to hear your take on using the Volt 6s for OBA surrounds...I may have to look into those rather than the commercial products I've been looking at.

Anyway, I'm subscribed...looking forward to seeing the progress!

#13 ·
I am looking at starting a room that is similar in size. I too built 1099s early on, and after listening to them it has made waiting to start all the more painful. I am trying to decide which Volts to get, so I look forward to your impressions with the Volt 6's and how they blend with the 1099s.

That stack of drywall looks great. I will be having 72 sheets delivered, so now I know what that monster of a stack will look like. My delivery will be to the third floor. I think they will be able to boom up the sheets, but I'll probably need to make sure they are scattered for fear that the entire house will collapse under that much weight. Following along.

#15 ·
You're cruising. Looking forward to following

A few things that you've probably thought about before drywall goes up, but I didn't see mentioned above:
1. What are you doing for lighting? How many zones? Assume you'll have minimal holes in the DD by putting boxes in columns/soffits, etc.
2. Since you're not going with OSB as the first layer, are you installing plywood to mount your projector?
3. Are you installing a Powerbridge equivalent to connect your JVC to a UPS?
4. Good to mark your channel locations on the floor so easier to find them later

#16 ·
RedStripe,
1. I will have 4 zones of lighting consisting of 4 gimbald screen wash lights, 12 recessed lights - 5 down each side and 2 in back, 2 step lights, and 3 up lights behind the screen to reveal the speakers. All on Insteon dimmers.
After the room and hvac soffit get sheetrocked, a small soffit will be built next to hvac soffit for recessed lights. Matching soffits will then be built around the perimeter of the rest of the room for the lights to be contained in. There will only be one small hole for the romex entering the new lighting soffit.

2. Yes. Plywood will be used where the projector will be mounted under the rear soffit when that get built.

3. I wasn't planning on a UPS. Should I? What brand?

4. Thanks, I'll do that.

#17 ·
Lots of progress!

2 layers of drywall successfully installed! My Drywall helpers got the hang of the green glue after a few sheets.

I'll be building the soffits for the lighting tomorrow.

Pic 1 - Lobby entrance
Pic 2 - Front wall
Pic 3 - Rear wall

Attachments

#21 ·
Concur! I could've saved myself a step by just using 2x4 for the soffit verticals like you did. It solves two things: obviously connects the top and bottom, but also provides a nailer.

What's the game plan for the volts as heights? How will they go into/onto the ceiling? How far away from the soffit, and will they be toed in? And what's the correct spelling of toed...that doesn't look right.

#24 ·
I personally like the lip. I beleive there is a carpet reasoning behind it actually to prevent wear and tear on the corner

#29 ·
I played with my JVC RS4910 this morning trying to decide on a screen size and material. I've got samples of Seymour's Centerstage XD, and Falcon's Horizon material. I toyed with 140" wide for a while but it felt a little too big for me from 12' away. I ended up ordered a 130" wide 2.35 Precision frame with Centerstage XD material from Seymour this afternoon. It was the brightness of the XD material that won me over. The Horizon material is also very nice. I'm sure I could have live very happily with either. Should arrive in about 2 weeks! Gotta get working on my room!!

My sawhorse PJ stand with custom cement board top.
And the obligatory dark and blurry screenshot

Attachments

#30 ·
In case anyone was wondering, there has been very little progress in the theater the last 6 weeks. Reason being, I had to finish the rest of the basement because my wife's family was coming to visit and we needed the extra bedroom and bathroom. Now that that's done, and the in-laws have come and gone, I can focus back on meeting my September - October deadline for the theater.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.