MI Man Cave - Concerts & Lions & Tigers..... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 12 Old 06-14-2015, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MI Man Cave - Concerts & Lions & Tigers.....

I have completed the first step in finishing my basement. It sits unfinished, all 2300sqft. I had an architect draw up an idea, and want to get input. Here are my requirements:
1) Largest practical Screen with a sub $5000 projector shinning on it
2) Audio is HUGELY important. I will have a complicated setup, using a two channel system and a multi-channel system.
3) Seating needs, I will be the sole occupant 75% of the time. 10% will be large sports groups, 15% will be small gatherings.
4) Ceiling height is 8'9" cement to floor joist bottom. Some I-Beams to work with in the room.

In this stage, I look for ideas to tweak this room. Do I need the back room for speakers/equipment? Projector placement, screen material, and how I light up a huge 6-7' high screen.
FLOOR PLAN WITH DIMENSIONS.pdf
Thanks for the read. Share your knowledge and experience.

Jeff in Detroit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-14-2015, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Go Tigers!!! (had to get that out of the way) Are soundproofing and acoustics important to you? I take it that the room will be for viewing and listening to music? Any idea how many seats you envision? A separate room for equipment is a good idea. Do you want a false wall?

Last edited by willmo; 06-15-2015 at 02:59 AM.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-15-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
You definitely don't want french doors leading into your theater. They'll leak noise like crazy.

Your first step is to figure out how many seats you want, and what sort of setup you want. Do you want an acoustically transparent screen with all your gear hidden? That seems unlikely considering you mentioned 2 channel...

Your room as shown is a tad short for 2 rows of seats. You could push the rear wall further back to gain a few more feet and shrink the equipment room. Otherwise, you could lose the equipment room and add a 3rd row bar with stools.

Last edited by Stereodude; 06-15-2015 at 01:56 PM.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-15-2015, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmo View Post
Are soundproofing and acoustics important to you?
I take it that the room will be for viewing and listening to music?
Any idea how many seats you envision?
A separate room for equipment is a good idea.
Do you want a false wall?
*Soundproofing is important, but not CrAZzY important. I believe Green GOO and two layers makes sense. Not sure if I completely separate the room from the floor joists above. Need some help here.
*Yes, this will be a media room, for both listening and viewing. I would like to put the turntable in the room, but all other equipment hidden away.
*Not sure on the seats. Two rows - three in the first and 4 in the second, with room to the back and sides for temp chairs for big events?
*I want the clean front wall for optimal viewing in the room. Speakers for Theater will be within the screen width, Two Channel speakers outside the screen width, but only speaker material covering the area? Not sure how do so that, so I ask for help/ideas.

Jeff in Detroit
post #5 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Suggest you specifically reach out to SierraMikeBravo or Nyal Mellor both contributors to the forum and are quite knowledgeable. You want to get the acoustics design right.

Last edited by willmo; 06-16-2015 at 03:51 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 06:19 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Entry door is in the wrong location
The equipment room wastes room you need and the two door interface sucks.

Your guy knows nothing about high performing home theaters
Stereodude and mtbdudex like this.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryngelson View Post
I have completed the first step in finishing my basement. It sits unfinished, all 2300sqft. I had an architect draw up an idea, and want to get input. Here are my requirements:
1) Largest practical Screen with a sub $5000 projector shinning on it
2) Audio is HUGELY important. I will have a complicated setup, using a two channel system and a multi-channel system.
3) Seating needs, I will be the sole occupant 75% of the time. 10% will be large sports groups, 15% will be small gatherings.
4) Ceiling height is 8'9" cement to floor joist bottom. Some I-Beams to work with in the room.

In this stage, I look for ideas to tweak this room. Do I need the back room for speakers/equipment? Projector placement, screen material, and how I light up a huge 6-7' high screen.
Attachment 776521
Thanks for the read. Share your knowledge and experience.

Jeff in Detroit
1) Buy your PJ last, as technology is changing too fast
Consider this for screen size mindset for immerse video feeling

2) Reduce that big room behind the front wall, however keep it big enough for a IB SBA sub
Consider DIY audio group high efficiency speakers, AIY, save $$ and top quality sound

3) Consider appropriate HVAC needs upfront, quite yet keep you comfortable, remember lots of people = lots of heat generated

4) 8'9" is not bad for HT room ceiling height, 2 rows should be fine.

I agree getting Shawn or Nyal on this project if you are a noob, I see you are member from 1999, is this your 1st dedicated HT?

I live in Howell M59/US23, come visit my HT.

Also agree with Jeff drop the dual french doors, go with a sealed solid core door.
(drop your current HT adviser, he/she is leading you astray)
post #8 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmo View Post
Suggest you specifically reach out to SierraMikeBravo or Nyal Mellor both contributors to the forum and are quite knowledgeable. You want to get the acoustics design right.
AGREE My Michigan Brother. I want to enjoy this room for years and years, so a few bucks now makes lots of acoustic sense. I have talked to Dennis in the past. Not quite ready to commit to that level of cash, but we shall see.

Jeff in Detroit
post #9 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Entry door is in the wrong location
The equipment room wastes room you need and the two door interface sucks.

Your guy knows nothing about high performing home theaters

This design is a simple space design. It is up to me to get the room right. Change door location, change dimensions etc. I am guessing you do not like entering from the rear of the room? I never would put a French door in a theater...its just his first drawing.

Help me out BIG.

Jeff in Detroit
PS - This is my 2nd theater. I have a few scars to learn from.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
1) Buy your PJ last, as technology is changing too fast
Consider this for screen size mindset for immerse video feeling

2) Reduce that big room behind the front wall, however keep it big enough for a IB SBA sub
Consider DIY audio group high efficiency speakers, AIY, save $$ and top quality sound

3) Consider appropriate HVAC needs upfront, quite yet keep you comfortable, remember lots of people = lots of heat generated

4) 8'9" is not bad for HT room ceiling height, 2 rows should be fine.

I agree getting Shawn or Nyal on this project if you are a noob, I see you are member from 1999, is this your 1st dedicated HT?

I live in Howell M59/US23, come visit my HT.

Also agree with Jeff drop the dual french doors, go with a sealed solid core door.
(drop your current HT adviser, he/she is leading you astray)

Good Info Mike. As mentioned to BIG, I never would put in a French door. This is a home architect, not a theater architect. Consider his space planning. Details are all up in the air. I think I need to plot out the dimensions to scale, and see if two rows of seating works well. I like the idea of a stand up bar at the back of the room for events, keeping the door where it is, but changing to a solid single sealing door (36").

Drop me your number or give me a call. I would welcome the discussion.

Jeff in Detroit
248-444-6766
post #11 of 12 Old 06-17-2015, 04:47 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Put a single door as close to the bathroom as you can reasonably design and still have it look proper. This should leave space to the right inside the door for an acoustically transparent screen wall and screen.

Pull the equipment wall down a bit and then figure out the best way to access it at the rear not the front of your theater

Not sure I would go the IB sub route but DIY speakers is in my blood.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-18-2015, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Subscribed. I will be building an HT across the river from you once my house is complete. It will be a Lions & Tigers den as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page