Walk around space behind screen, fronts? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By v0yce
post #1 of 6 Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Walk around space behind screen, fronts?

Hey guys, I'm not able to build a true home theater, more of a general media room and I'm trying to decide the layout to get the best results I can.

Would having a an "open" space behind the front speakers and screen cause major issues with the audio? Basically it's a 14' wide room and I'd have a a 10' wall (leaving 2' open on each side) about 4' from the back of the room allowing a space for my av equipment and media and such.

I've looked at lots of theater build info and threads and haven't run across anything like that so I assume it's not a good idea, but figured I'd ask.

Rouch sketch of the idea.

kac32 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Today, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Any opinions?
post #3 of 6 Old Today, 07:24 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
if you have the room put the speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen, You can also have the equipment back there as well. You will need some acoustic treatment on that wall behind the screen.

If that was my space I'd put the equipment on the sides of the screen facing the room and then cover with a hinged panel. Actually that is what I did in my space. Then the area behind the screen is for the speakers.
post #4 of 6 Unread Today, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Motorized AT screen? I agree with Big, don't have components where you can see all the pretty twinkling lights, put them in a rack or closet with a door.

Want to learn about home theater design and acoustics? Read our blog.

Company: Acoustic Frontiers - design and creation of high performance home theaters for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Certifications: HAA Level I & II, THX Video Level I & II, CEDIA EST I & II.
AVS Projects: Plains, Hodor, Beast Unleashed, Savoy, Roll in Reels, Creekside, CIH...
post #5 of 6 Unread Today, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The idea was that there would be a TV mounted on the wall facing the seating with a drop down screen on the ceiling coming in front of that. The components would be on shelves on the back of the wall the TV is mounted on, with cables running through the wall.

Really it's just a closet with entrance on each side without doors

I feel I need the AV stuff at the front of the room because I think the room is a bit tight width wise, and my young son will have some play space at the back.

My original idea was like Bigmouth suggested about having a cabinet/space/whatever at the front to the side but I was a bit worried about heat and aesthetic so I was brainstorming if there was another option.

My main concern was if those 2' open spaces on each side of the TV wall and the void behind would eat up the sound.
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 02:52 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
yes the sound is going to enter those two doorways and rattle around in the cave you are creating. You should tame it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page