Do I need to mud hidden drywall? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old Today, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Do I need to mud hidden drywall?

Hey all, I'm working on a home theater and most of the walls will be covered in either acoustic treatment or columns, so I was wondering if there is any reason to mud and tape the drywall that will be hidden? Since most of the walls will be covered in some way, this seems a bit redundant but maybe someone can give me a good reason to "finish" the room before we finish it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Today, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 53
If isolation isn't an issue, I wouldn't worry about it. But that's just me. I'm sure there are some that would say you theater won't work commit such grave crime against nature. I'm not one of them.
post #3 of 4 Old Today, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 136
You need to mud and do what is referred to, as a fire coat. It doesn't have to be exacting though.

While it might seem redundant, it might very well be a building or fire code issue.
post #4 of 4 Old Today, 07:01 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Fire coat makes sense in single layer drywall wall construction. You want to seal all the cracks to slow the fire spread. In a double drywall construction with overlapped seams and all the corner seams caulked with an acoustical caulk it seems rather pointless. An inspector might think differently. If it is hidden behind wall treatments and molding it won't get inspected.

You can actually do a really quick/sloppy job of taping and mudding if it won't be seen. Throw up some self adhesive fiberglass joint tape and smear on a thick single coat of compound, Don't bother obsessing on smoothing or sanding.

If you think the room might get re-purposed in the future, take the time to make it look good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction