Does your screen wall panels have to match the velvet trim on the screen or can you u - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 1 Post By eng-399
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 1 Post By eng-399

post #1 of 19 Old 07-30-2015, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Does your screen wall panels have to match the velvet trim on the screen or can you u

I got my screen frame in yesterday, and I had expected to use Acoustimac's DMD Black or their regular black for my screen wall panels. The problem is that of course it does not match the black velvet of the screen. I really like the pattern of the DMD fabric, looks clean. I'm really not a velvet person at ALL, but wife is on the fence letting me use the DMD Black. Will it look that bad if I use the DMD?? Any other suggestions?? The DMD is $9.95 per yard. Also I guess I will need around 8-9 yards to cover panels. Thanks as always!

-Brion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-30-2015, 04:31 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2616 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
the only time you will be able to tell the difference is with all the lights on in the theater. How often will that happen? When it does trust me it won't look bad. Many guys have used GOM FR701 which can't stand up to black velvet either. Just not as black.

confession: I had GOM and swapped it out for Velvet. I had to rebuild my front panels when I switched from 16:9 to 2.35. At the time I thought why not go for the velvet.

Joannes royalty 3 black velvet is $19.99 you can wait for a sale and get it for 50% off. I buy it online as store inventory is spotty.
bsuave likes this.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 07-30-2015 at 04:39 PM.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-30-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1190
Did you buy there fabric sample pack. If you didn't the one you picked is the best looking black fabric they have imo. I bought it and went through all there blacks which is only a few and the DMD black was the best looking one. Like big says above when the lights are out its hard to see the difference. I put the sample next to my screen and was hard to see the difference between the two with the lights out. I have the fabric from joann fabrics out by me and the DMD black looks better. If you would like to see the difference I'll be home in a few hours and can post a picture in comparison of the two.
bsuave likes this.
post #4 of 19 Old 07-30-2015, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Good thinking! And yes eng, I have all samples from Acoustimac and select ones from GOM. Big right now they only have it at 20% off and that won't make my budget. I can hold out 1-2 weeks or so, but need to start getting it here within that time.
post #5 of 19 Old 07-31-2015, 06:57 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

The discounts do change weekly. Often Joannes will honor Hancock fabrics coupons and they have one right now at 50% off any one item. You would have to print it out and go to the Joannes store. Or go to Hancock and see what they have. Just another hint from Heloise.
bsuave likes this.
post #6 of 19 Old 07-31-2015, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Does your screen wall panels have to match the velvet trim on the screen or c...

Finally was able to take some pictures fabric on the right is from Joanne fabrics. The top left is Gom FR701 black the middle left is acoustic executive black and the bottom left is acoustic DMD black. Here ya go.
I also want to add that after looking at the joann fabric material that is black it's really not that bad but the difference between the Joanne fabric and the acoustic DMD black is that DMD seems a little thicker than the Joanne fabric and if you hold them up to a light bulb the DMD fabric is harder to see through and made a little more of a heavy duty piece fabric cotton.
bsuave likes this.

Last edited by eng-399; 07-31-2015 at 10:36 AM.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-31-2015, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
I also want to add that after looking at the joann fabric material that is black it's really not that bad but the difference between the Joanne fabric and the acoustic DMD black is that DMD seems a little thicker than the Joanne fabric and if you hold them up to a light bulb the DMD fabric is harder to see through and made a little more of a heavy duty piece fabric cotton.
Is that just black fabric from Joann's? It doesn't look like velvet in the picture.

Unless you are really budget constrained, I'd go with the Joann's velvet. It makes the whole front wall disappear lights on or off, and it adds an extra flair. I got enough to cover my panels for about $50 and it matches the velvet on my screen frame almost exactly.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #8 of 19 Old 07-31-2015, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
Is that just black fabric from Joann's? It doesn't look like velvet in the picture.

Unless you are really budget constrained, I'd go with the Joann's velvet. It makes the whole front wall disappear lights on or off, and it adds an extra flair. I got enough to cover my panels for about $50 and it matches the velvet on my screen frame almost exactly.

Yes it's just the fabric not the velvet from Joanns. I think if someone used one of the samples I took the picture of your not going to go wrong. There all nice. Some are just a little darker then others and the pattern is slightly different but not much.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-31-2015, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Finally was able to take some pictures fabric on the right is from Joanne fabrics. The top left is Gom FR701 black the middle left is acoustic executive black and the bottom left is acoustic DMD black. Here ya go.

Now see the DMD Black looks the best to me in that picture. I wonder how much I will see of the screen trim. I plan on using BIG's minimalist screen wall approach, which will recess the screen a tad in the wall.
post #10 of 19 Old 07-31-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsuave View Post
Now see the DMD Black looks the best to me in that picture. I wonder how much I will see of the screen trim. I plan on using BIG's minimalist screen wall approach, which will recess the screen a tad in the wall.
Doing the same as you if I have any luck once I get the fabric I'll post a picture and show how it looks. In dedicated home theater thread big explains what he used and how he did it. It's in auburn's thread please excuse the wrong spelling of his member/user name😊
post #11 of 19 Old 08-13-2015, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
the only time you will be able to tell the difference is with all the lights on in the theater. How often will that happen? When it does trust me it won't look bad. Many guys have used GOM FR701 which can't stand up to black velvet either. Just not as black.

confession: I had GOM and swapped it out for Velvet. I had to rebuild my front panels when I switched from 16:9 to 2.35. At the time I thought why not go for the velvet.

Joannes royalty 3 black velvet is $19.99 you can wait for a sale and get it for 50% off. I buy it online as store inventory is spotty.
I am building a "bigmouth" AT screen wall. Are any of these choices to cover the side panels more or less AT?

My priorities for this fabric:
1) AT (do I need to make this a priority?)
2) price
3) deepest, most luxurious black

I'm also considering the Syfabrics Triple black

My Gear: Sony VPL-HW40ES, 130" Spandex Screen, Onkyo TX-NR818, Fusion 12 Tempests (LCR), Axiom M3 & M2 Surrounds, Mach 5 UXL 18 Subwoofer

My theater: Escape from New York theater build

Last edited by Spiderm0n; 08-13-2015 at 01:06 PM.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-13-2015, 02:25 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

from memory Syfabrics velvet is the least AT of the fabrics I've used.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-30-2016, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
from memory Syfabrics velvet is the least AT of the fabrics I've used.
Is this fabric you recommended AT (the Joannes royalty 3 black velvet is $19.99 you can wait for a sale and get it for 50% off. I buy it online as store inventory is spotty.)
Thanks
Allen
post #14 of 19 Old 01-31-2016, 02:37 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

There is a big difference being AT for your front main speakers and being AT for your subwoofers. Joanne's Velvet is not AT enough for mains. It will clip the high frequencies.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-31-2016, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 30
^^^Thanks Jeff for the information

Allen
post #16 of 19 Old 06-14-2016, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
There is a big difference being AT for your front main speakers and being AT for your subwoofers. Joanne's Velvet is not AT enough for mains. It will clip the high frequencies.
I know this is an older thread, but it's exactly what I was looking for when searching.

I'm planning on an AT screen and was going to wrap the walls near the screen with the Royalty 3 black velvet.

Can I also use the same material on the screen wall and then just put the front and center speakers directly behind the screen? Or would that not allow for proper separation between the channels?
post #17 of 19 Old 06-14-2016, 04:43 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

depends on screen size, room width and distance to the seating. I've worked on many theaters where the mains behind the screen works just fine.
post #18 of 19 Old 06-15-2016, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The room is 11' 4" wide. The front of the first row is 8' 10" from the screen wall and then front of the second row is 14' 10" from the screen wall.

I'm planning on a screen around 120". I am considering bumping that up to 130", but need to get some tape on the wall.

Would that work?
post #19 of 19 Old 06-15-2016, 06:24 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

sounds like it should be fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction