176Likes

post #1 of 321 Old 08-17-2015, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Wartooth Home Theater Build

This is my first attempt to build well pretty much anything structural. I built the wall for my amp rack but, that's about it. Its primarily me doing all the work and the wife helping out with shopping and odds and ends when she has time. Got started 8/9/15 and got our first lumbar delivery on Tuesday the 11th.

I don't have any official plans or drawings and pretty much am building the room as I go along. I do have a general Idea of what it will look like when finished. There is to be small soffit running around the room about 5" deep and 5" wide. Its primarily aesthetic as all my wires are run inside the walls already but I will probably throw some extra lines in for future expansion.

We spent lots of time (me and the wife) deciding on how to best utilize our horribly shaped room. There is no real ideal location so the decision to cut the room in half made the best sense and was the best (least worst) spot. This baseboard heater is the bane of my existence and it prevented me from doing lots of things sadly. But I have been reading and learned a lot from being on the forum and know to make the space work best acoustically I can and get the right gear for the environment and not just get speakers I really want and make them work. That said I don't actually have a speaker choice yet but, I know what type speaker I need. More on that later I suppose.

Room will be Black ceiling with chair rails running lower on the walls. Below the chair rails will be black as well with black base board. The upper half of the wall with be a super dark purple and the crown molding and other trims running along the room will be dark purple as well. The Chair rail will be accented in black but a different finish. Carpet is not decided on yet and we are going with 5 seats in total a dual on the rise and 3 in the front.

We will be doing a painted star ceiling ( my wife wants one bad) with rope black lights run inside the crown molding.

Ill add a equipment list later on.

But stage is 12" and I designed it this way to help your eye hide the baseboard heater. The riser is 16" with three steps. and its full if roxel and is a bass trap. Screen wall has 2" linacoustics covering it and inside the stage as well. I left the stage in front of the subs for a few reasons biggest is I cant stack my subs if I add any extra height to that area they run from floor to ceiling.

Here is the finished Front stage.

AV Gear:

Denon X4000
PS4
DVR
HTPC with 12 TB of movies

Amps:
5 x Crown DSI 1000
2 X crown X1000
1 QSC CS-254 ( 4 channel)
2 x Behringer Inuke 3k DSP
2 x Behringer Inuke6k DSP

Power:
2 x dedicated 15 Amp lines
2 x dedicated 20 amp lines

Speakers:
1099 w flatpack box- LCR
Klipsch RF-82 - Front highs
Klipsch RS-3 - Surrounds

Subwoofers:
12 x Ported HT18's (currently only 7 are installed) ... someday Ill add the other 4 if I get horrendously strong or get 4 friends over to help me list them in place.

Projector:
BenQ 1070w ( this will be upgraded later on)

Screen:
SilverTicket AT 135" diagonal

Calibration will be done by Bob at V-tech who also has spend many hours on the phone with me helping me make choices on speakers and treatments. Excellent guy and very knowledgeable.

Foot Note:
The theater is named after my Dog "Toki Wartooth", he has ostiosarcoma and we don't know how much time we have left with him. But If I was going to be silly and name my theater room I wanted it to remind me of him. Hes my buddy and a stand up dude.

This is a general layout of the room.

and this is how it looked before

Thats the new pup "Ragnar", starting to clear the room out and get the general layout down.

Moved the projector (huge PIA)

First HD trip
( only part of the order. we have had 4 other delivery's since then and a pallet of insulation.)

stating of the riser

and stage wall

with Linacoustics added

The start of the dividing wall

More riser work, first round I needed to make it tall and started electrical

added the steps

and began to insulate

put a top on the stage and insulated the front

Put up drywall

Put the floor on the riser

Thats the wife helping out! @MrsSlush

finished riser and walls half done with tape and plaster, will need to sand again and do a second round today.

then a beer glass full of half a bottle of wine to stair back at all the work I did the past few days. A Very tired Lemonslush
arttu, cdy2179, ahblaza and 3 others like this.

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth

Last edited by lemonslush; 12-08-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 321 Old 08-17-2015, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

And in case anyone is wondering how the silverticket screen looks I did a quick comparison with the materiel hung in front of my white solid screen. We will be sitting 12+ feet away at least so I don't see any issues with moire effects also tech support from silver ticket is excellent. The frame is 3. 25" thick which is great compared the the seymore equivalent and its half the price. Mind the monition blur pics took with a cellphone in a dark room. But it gives a general Idea of how it looks which to my eyes I cant see much of any different. Also keep in mind the AT screen was 3 feet in front of the solid screen. Having it further back in the room will look even better.

My two racks one is in the wall the second (expansion rack) is in a room off the the side of the amp rack. Old pic but give you an idea

The second rack is a rolling rack which is ugly but you cant see it anyways. :-)

Last edited by lemonslush; 08-17-2015 at 06:06 AM.
post #3 of 321 Old 08-17-2015, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Last edited by lemonslush; 12-08-2015 at 10:52 AM.

post #4 of 321 Old 08-17-2015, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2697
"We need more power"
MrsSlush likes this.
post #5 of 321 Old 08-18-2015, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mapped out the four main 6" pot lights, Got LED's with a removable trim plate that I will spray paint black. I actually found very little info on lighting here for "old work", my lights are rated to be in insulation and everything was bought at Home Depot.

They dont sell stair lights that are normal voltage only low voltage junk that was on timers. So the stairs will be getting rope lighting.

The drywall cutter is the biggest piece of junk. It fist lost the bit and I had to fish for it in the trash. Then one of the blades came loose and made one of my holes a double hole. Lucky I saw it before I cut all the way through and patched it up. The small screw came out. I just cut the rest of the holes only using that single blade. Its a Piece of Junk! and will be getting returned.

post #6 of 321 Old 08-18-2015, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
"We need more power"
We do!!!
Kev Greenhalgh likes this.
post #7 of 321 Old 08-18-2015, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Just when you think you have seen everything imaginable on AVS now this...a woman!

I will be interested to see the frequency response in your little alcove there; heart stopping bass would be my guess.
post #8 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, @MrsSlush is a great help, She did some drywall sanding last night, carried around some lumber and helped with measurements. Also picked me up a assortment of excellent beers to enjoy while I work.

I am a quarter finished with the soffits, just need to tack the rest up and put the fronts on them. Picking up some quarter round today and more lumber.

Need to get an idea of how I want the walls to look. We were thinking do a chair rail 25" up from the floor or so then do panels between the bottom of the soffit and the chair rail. Was not sure how that would look if I should fill it up not showing any wall or space out the panels. I cant use columns sadly because of the baseboard heater.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
MrsSlush likes this.

post #9 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Just when you think you have seen everything imaginable on AVS now this...a woman!

I will be interested to see the frequency response in your little alcove there; heart stopping bass would be my guess.

The room was 3,300 cubic feet before with all those subs and no dedicated 20amp lines and we hit 130db @10hz. Room is half that size now and a much better shape with a nice bass trap in the back. It will be interesting to see what happens.

One of my friends suggested "butt kickers", I laughed.
ahblaza likes this.

post #10 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 06:03 AM

You should train my wife. She needs a lot of training. There's a zero percent chance she helps me with my theater, but there's about a 99.9% chance she will make me build her a closet.
post #11 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You should train my wife. She needs a lot of training. There's a zero percent chance she helps me with my theater, but there's about a 99.9% chance she will make me build her a closet.

Closet building is practice for HT building. You better make her that closet first!
ahblaza and MrsSlush like this.

post #12 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 06:05 AM

I would do panels 100%, it will look more uniform and deliberate. If you soace them out it looks like acoustic panels on the wall.

You could do columns, build the base hollow and have the baseboard run right through the column.
post #13 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would do panels 100%, it will look more uniform and deliberate. If you soace them out it looks like acoustic panels on the wall.

You could do columns, build the base hollow and have the baseboard run right through the column.
So soffit to chair rail panels?

Should I rise the chair rail off the wall a bit with a 1" piece of wood to make a box for the panels if that makes sense?

post #14 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 06:17 AM

Wainscoting to chair rail decorative trim then fabric panels above to soffit with treatments behind.

Use a combo panel on the side walls, you have too much absorption.

Run as fast as you can away from 60x60 pro audio speakers and get a properly wide HIFI speaker with great directivity index.

I don't feel like pandering to the masses so you get the truth today.
post #15 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

If I did that I would make below the chair rail purple instead of making it black but still keep the base board trim black. Otherwise whats the point in painting it purple if its covered with panels.

post #16 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

But seriously, @lemonslush got into AVS and wouldn't shut up about it, so it was either roll my eyes or get into it too. This seemed easier.
post #17 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I feel like that would get us both in trouble... Be glad she's not reading this

Mostly here to support @lemonslush
post #18 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Good to see another MA build. I like your re-design of the room and the use of the space for the riser. Best of luck with everything.
post #19 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 07:10 AM

@oman321 Thanks! moving the room to that shape was my idea actually. We know its not ideal but, no real "ideal" placement existed.

I will check out your Harmony thread, we are in the process of picking out what universal remote to use. Something that can integrate with the AV and lutron lights.

post #20 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 07:11 AM

@Mfusick I heard you like Purple

post #21 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSlush View Post
@oman321 Thanks! moving the room to that shape was my idea actually. We know its not ideal but, no real "ideal" placement existed.

I will check out your Harmony thread, we are in the process of picking out what universal remote to use. Something that can integrate with the AV and lutron lights.
Smart idea with the room.

The harmony link is just to show how to do Macros/sequences workaround with the older Harmony's which had been removed from the 1100 and 900 models. You should look at the Harmony Ultimate which is way more robust.

This was my build thread if your interested. Kind of dated now.
Breaking the rules theater build

I recently upgraded my projector and plan to re-arrange equipment to go thru the wall from the closet so I may just do update
ahblaza, lemonslush and MrsSlush like this.
post #22 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
@Mfusick I heard you like Purple
Tis true and I can not tell a lie; I do like me some purple. Best color ever. Purple is the color most often associated with royalty, magic, and mystery. If you are a king or queen or pope or wizard you'd wear purple.

Looks like another round of dye for your hair is in order.

Quote:
@oman321

Tell Lemonslush to step up
post #23 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 08:50 AM

Someone explain to me the theater name...
post #24 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Its named after our dog Toki Wartooth.

post #25 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:

The pup with osteosarcoma is named Toki Wartooth, after the second best guitar player of all time. Since he doesn't have much longer with us, we wanted to dedicate the theater to him. He's a pretty rad dude.

post #26 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
The pup with osteosarcoma is named Toki Wartooth, after the second best guitar player of all time. Since he doesn't have much longer with us, we wanted to dedicate the theater to him. He's a pretty rad dude.
If he is the second best, who is the best?

Dime? Zak ? Randy ?
post #27 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's quite the step, what's a typical Creston install running these days?
post #28 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
Its named after our dog Toki Wartooth.
I only knew the Toki part. Now it makes more sense.
post #29 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post
That's quite the step, what's a typical Creston install running these days?
lol I was only half serious. Mrs Slush is pretty smart with stuff like that I bet should could DIY it.
post #30 of 321 Old 08-19-2015, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I bet he can, I was gonna suggest DIY in my reply:

If you have an old iPad or Android tablet around it can actually be a low cost solution.

iOS solution
http://www.roomieremote.com/

iOS or Android
http://www.iruleathome.com/
ahblaza likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page