acoustic panels for sound deadening in apartment? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-12-2003, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in an apartment and want to keep noise from getting out. Im not too concerned with the sound quality, just sound deadening. I dont mind turning off the sub at night. Are my voice, guests voices, and surround sound frequencies in the range of cheap DYI acoustic panels, like the ones made of fiberglass and burlap? Maybe putting some hard mass on the back of the panel and keeping it 4 inches off the wall would make the sound waves work harder (more abrupt changes)? My room is @20x12x9, with two full size couches side to side against the long wall (my neighbor is on the other side) slightly angled to the soon to be screen. I figure lining the wall behind me with these things all the way to the top, and some around/on top of the screen would keep things quiet. What do you guys think?

sleep = less anime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-12-2003, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would throwing a second layer of drywall on that wall out?

You could also try hanging a large carpet on that wall, like a persian or whatever. The sub is typically what you have to worry about the most. I guess I was lucky because the apartment I was living in for the past 3 years was all concrete and I had my Home Theatre pounding some nights with nary a complaint, and I rarely heard anyone else either. I didn't buy a sub for my home theatre until I moved into my house though since I did have a little respect for them. :P

I'm not sure how but this both sucks and blows...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page