AVS Forum banner

Stoked Home Theater in KC

26K views 627 replies 40 participants last post by  Stoked21 
#1 ·
So as opposed to beating up the local KC thread, and numerous others, I'm opening a dedicated thread for my HT.

Summary, 2 years ago we bought a 10 year old house in Lenexa, KS. Basement length is about 40' and L shaped. It's about 17' wide in the theater area and had an unfinished bar area that adds another 15x15 or so as the end of the L. Previous homeowner had a massive 65" rear projection TV built into the carpentry and an RBH 5.1 system. The two rear surrounds were in-walls speakers mounted in the ceiling. The sub was a 10" RBH that is cut into the wall of a closet that is under the stairs. Rack for all of the electronics which included everything from CD changer to VHS and 3 HK AVRs. One AVR was for upstairs TV, one for downstairs TV and one was for the whole house audio system (Russound Airbus). Obviously all non-HDMI and the wiring from the contractor was a NIGHTMARE. More coax than I've ever seen in any one room. Unfortunately, I did not save pictures of any of the old equipment rack. We only used the room for storage for the first 2 years until I took it over and started my 7 month journey to bring me to where I am now. Operating the old system would have been a nightmare with literally 20 remotes and IR transceivers everywhere.

Pics show latest rack rework in progress but with the old wiring cleaned up to the best as possible without cutting them! It was 100 times worse than this when I started half a year ago. I also have some of the new speakers installed in this room pic as I had already started fishing over 1000' of cable. But it gives a little bit of a baseline as to what I started with in March/April 2015. The fun part was I started it all the day after having foot surgery. High on pain killers with a surgical boot on. Climbing ladders and fishing cables through areas with lots of electrical wiring.....:eek:

Attachments

See less See more
#619 ·
Coming along. TV mounted today and all cable holes prepped except for where the cabinet goes. I'm going to have to turn the cabinet into swiss cheese to wire everything. 4 HDMI, 9 power supplies, 3 power strips, wireless sub xcvr, speaker power supplies, IR repeaters, speaker cable, AM/FM antennas etc. I'm guessing I'll need to drill about 7-9 holes in the cabinet and 2-3 more holes in the wall! I must admit for 3 partial days of work it looks pretty sharp even with the dinky TV, which come to find out is only 40"!! Should have cabinet up by tomorrow night to start fishing/wiring everything on Thursday. May be done with the whole project by Friday to start running Audy and tweaking over the weekend. I think about 1 week is the maximum that my clean-freak wife can have the bedroom in construction disarray.

I need to meet up with @d_c to drop off sub parts for when he's free and healthy to build!

Attachments

#622 ·
Half fished....all mounted and drilled. Why r all cabinet manufacturers sold on 12-14" deep cabinets? A standard avr is 15"!!! Clearly no one who wants to use separates is entitled to a prefab cabinet!!!

Attachments

#623 · (Edited)
Basically done. Everything wired and running. Speakers need 90db 72 hour break in so that will take a week or two. Have to get both dual infinity sub boxes built and integrated. May throw in a used ML Motif X electrostat center too. Clean up my pencil marks on wall, replace baseboard, caulk and touch up paint. Disappointed that I couldn't hide the AVR, but oh well. Ironically the Google box doesn't work so there isn't even any TV programming in there! Just music, AppleTV and Blu-Ray.

It's pretty bass-lite. Speakers cut off at 68hz +/-3db. Hopefully once the rubber surrounds loosen on the woofers it will have some more mid-bass punch. Once everything is broken in I will run Audy.

EDIT: Just gave it about 30 mins of music listening. Man I missed having stats! They are so open and detailed. Phenomenal sound despite lacking in the bass department.

Attachments

#624 ·
New additions to stoked theater. Third 88a!! Complete future expansion up to 24chs!

Plus this...410 classic games for us old bastards that are children of the 80s

Attachments

#626 ·
Yeah it'll go great by the windows next to popcorn machine. Unfortunately they didn't ship quick enough from Cali for this Friday delivery. With Labor Day looks like a 180lb palette showing up on Tuesday. Sucks cus was hoping to play all extended weekend! No stools shipped yet so I guess moot point.

I don't know why I put myself through getting big heavy crap down that horrible switchback staircase! I'm guessing this exercise will be even worse than moving Caps!!! Larger and heavier.

#628 ·
Worst thing that had ever happened in my theater....cocktail table arcade. I might as well start smoking crack. My neighbors just left at 1:30am. Shoot up with heroin? Screw that. Play dig dug or time pilot or 1942. Where's the vein??? F me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.