Javery's NJ Theater - finally started! - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 144Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #661 of 697 Old 10-02-2017, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
javeryh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Alright... here are some "finished" shots. I need to try again maybe without the lights on and using the flash becasue there is a lot of glare but here goes:













So the room looks great but will I ever get it to work???
javeryh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #662 of 697 Old 10-02-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
@filmmixr - thank you so much for the detailed response! I'm going to have to read it a bunch of times for it all to sink in. I will definitely download the app and give it a shot. The issue is that I don't know what the room is supposed to sound like so how will I know when I get it right?

The subwoofer humming issue really concerns me - I really hope there is a way to fix it.

From what I've been reading and what everyone here has been telling me I can tell I need to hire a professional to come in and calibrate everything for me. Maybe he (or she) will let me watch so I can learn a thing or two.

Should I also call Verizon and get the additional cable box and any other equipment I'm thinking of so everything is done all at the same time? I need to start looking at universal remotes too. It never ends!!!

I didn't have a chance yesterday to mess around or even watch anything in the theater because of kid activities and cleaning out the garage - now that this project is winding down I need to get organized. I have been leaving tools all over the place and I'm trying to organize everything to one central location. The amount of stuff I bought (like spray paint, sandpaper, etc.) and didn't know I already had is making my head spin.
Verizon does cable? When did they start doing that. I have Google Fiber and have to have a box for every TV in the house for it to work except my Android tablet or phone where I can stream it at home as long as I am on my home network.

As for Universal remotes everyone seems to like Logitech Harmony Elite. I have Harmony Ultimate, but have yet to hook it up. I may play with in a few weeks when I wife and kid will be gone over a weekend at a wedding I got of going to.

If you want something for the whole house there is Control 4 which is pretty cool. My brother in law has it, but it is not cheep and programming cost a little bit to get it to work right,

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is online now  
post #663 of 697 Old 10-02-2017, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
VTstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
Alright... here are some "finished" shots. I need to try again maybe without the lights on and using the flash becasue there is a lot of glare but here goes:


So the room looks great but will I ever get it to work???
Looks good. Did you finish your fiber optic ceiling? I don't think I have seen any pics of that.

Also, how far is your first row to the screen, and how big is the screen. I am still flip-flopping on the aspect ratio of my screen, so I haven't built the false wall yet, but I need to get on with things.
VTstang is online now  
 
post #664 of 697 Old 10-02-2017, 08:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 17
As per your humming from your subs I know a lot of guys have had this problem, @eng-399 has a solution for this so hopefully he could you help out.
Mahuzz13 is offline  
post #665 of 697 Old 10-02-2017, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
javeryh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTstang View Post
Looks good. Did you finish your fiber optic ceiling? I don't think I have seen any pics of that.

Also, how far is your first row to the screen, and how big is the screen. I am still flip-flopping on the aspect ratio of my screen, so I haven't built the false wall yet, but I need to get on with things.
Ceiling is finished - thought I posted this but maybe not.


The screen is 130" wide. First row (eyeballs) to the screen is about 10'-6"-11'-0" if I had to guess. Screen to front of riser is 11'-6". I cannot see the weave in the screen at all and I have good eyesight so I'm quite pleased. The masking panels that came with my screen are held on with magnets so they line up perfectly every time. I expect I'll leave them on most of the time and only remove them when I want to watch a 2.40:1 movie since most content is 16:9 these days. The true widescreen is stunning - I am 1000% happy I went with the wider screen. If I had gone with a 16:9 screen, the 2.40:1 movies would have looked tiny.
javeryh is offline  
post #666 of 697 Old 10-02-2017, 08:47 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi Javery,
No worries, hope it helps. Regarding your question "how will I know when I have it right?". The answer is that the SPL calibration method is an objective way to calibrate a surround sound system. I always use rooms that are exactly calibrated this way but that's for my work where we have to use calibrated and aligned systems.

In a home environment, once you've run the SPL calibration using this method then I would put on some material that you're familiar with (like a favorite film) and see how it feels to you. You may want a little more LFE or a little more Surrounds.. those adjustments are purely personal taste and may also reflect the acoustics of the room. There is no wrong answer with the result. It should sound the way you want it to!
Cheers,
David.
filmmixr is offline  
post #667 of 697 Old 10-02-2017, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eng-399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Plainfield IL.
Posts: 4,279
Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked: 2988
sent you a pm
eng-399 is online now  
post #668 of 697 Old 10-02-2017, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SteveCallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 7,243
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Most content is 16:9 nowadays? I guess if you are watching tv, but it seems like 80% of movies are 2.35:1.
SteveCallas is offline  
post #669 of 697 Old 10-02-2017, 09:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
Alright... here are some "finished" shots. I need to try again maybe without the lights on and using the flash becasue there is a lot of glare but here goes:













So the room looks great but will I ever get it to work???
The room has turned out absolutely amazing.
You said you bought the widescreen F130HD and you are keeping the masking panels on so the pictures above are they with or without the masking panels on, do you have a picture to show the comparison of the 2 aspect ratios?
Again beautiful room!!!
Mahuzz13 is offline  
post #670 of 697 Old 10-02-2017, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
javeryh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmixr View Post
Hi Javery,
No worries, hope it helps. Regarding your question "how will I know when I have it right?". The answer is that the SPL calibration method is an objective way to calibrate a surround sound system. I always use rooms that are exactly calibrated this way but that's for my work where we have to use calibrated and aligned systems.

In a home environment, once you've run the SPL calibration using this method then I would put on some material that you're familiar with (like a favorite film) and see how it feels to you. You may want a little more LFE or a little more Surrounds.. those adjustments are purely personal taste and may also reflect the acoustics of the room. There is no wrong answer with the result. It should sound the way you want it to!
Cheers,
David.
Thanks - I like objective! I'm not quite sure what to expect since I've never owned any equipment before where you would care enough to play with the settings. I've recently been using a UE Boom over bluetooth for sound out of my (only) TV upstairs which was a big improvement over the TV speakers. Plus, we have an open concept house on the first floor so if someone is talking somewhere else the TV is hard to hear due to the acoustics so I've been slumming it for a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
sent you a pm
Got it thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Most content is 16:9 nowadays? I guess if you are watching tv, but it seems like 80% of movies are 2.35:1.
Well... yeah.

I envision my son (and I) playing a lot of video games and my wife and I watching a lot of TV during the week (HBO, Amazon and Netflix mostly) so movies will probably be reserved for the weekends. Of course, a lot of the Pixar/Disney movies are 16:9 too if I recall correctly and my little one will be enjoying those. I guess I'll get a feel for it after a few months but all I've been hearing for the past year from my son is how awesome Madden is going to look on the big screen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 View Post
The room has turned out absolutely amazing.
You said you bought the widescreen F130HD and you are keeping the masking panels on so the pictures above are they with or without the masking panels on, do you have a picture to show the comparison of the 2 aspect ratios?
Again beautiful room!!!
Thank you! The pic above are without the masking panels. I don't have any with them on but I'll snap a couple when I get home from work. I do not think I could have gone any larger with a 16:9 screen because the back row needs to see over the front row so I had maybe a couple of inches to play with at most. The bottom of the screen is as far down as I'd like it and the top of the screen (the frame) is only 2" from the bottom of the soffit.
javeryh is offline  
post #671 of 697 Old 10-02-2017, 11:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Our rooms are very similar in size and I can't decide if I should go with the same screen material as you but do a DIY screen as big as can and a DIY 4-way masking system to give me any size screen I want but if you tell me that your 16x9 image is big enough and the cinemascope image is amazing I might just go the way you have and save the trouble of building the masking system.

Here is the link of the 4-way masking system so you get the idea, the picture quality isn't good though.

Mahuzz13 is offline  
post #672 of 697 Old 10-02-2017, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
javeryh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 View Post
Our rooms are very similar in size and I can't decide if I should go with the same screen material as you but do a DIY screen as big as can and a DIY 4-way masking system to give me any size screen I want but if you tell me that your 16x9 image is big enough and the cinemascope image is amazing I might just go the way you have and save the trouble of building the masking system.
That is really cool. I know 16:9 content could be slightly larger in my room because there is space below the screen. I also know that going lower would affect viewing angle and ability of people in my second row to see the bottom (which may be an OK compromise if you will be mainly watching from the front row). Of course, if you can make something as cool as that auto masking system then it's tough to say no to that!

Last edited by javeryh; 10-02-2017 at 01:21 PM.
javeryh is offline  
post #673 of 697 Old 10-03-2017, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
javeryh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Alright - not too exciting update but here's what I did to manage the speaker wire and cables coming into the equipment closet:

I went out and bought a 2' section of PVC pipe (2" interior diameter) for a few dollars at Home Depot. I used my miter box and hand saw and cut it into 4 equal sections (that's 6" each for you math whizzes out there).



I also bought 4 collars that looked like they could be used as "stops" on the ends of the pipes so they wouldn't fall through the opening in the ceiling.



This was my plan:


So the first thing I did was get out my 2-3/8" hole saw to drill the holes in the ceiling of the equipment closet. The hole saw has to be bigger than 2" because that is the interior diameter of the PVC pipe.



Next, I drilled the holes. This took a bit of planning due to the studs and framing of the closet on the outside. To the far right I also had an HVAC duct going over the closet so I couldn't get anything to work on that side. Once I knew where it was safe to drill I just tried spacing them out evenly.



Then I installed the pipes (after taking a rubber mallet to the collars to get them on nice and tight - they are not ever coming apart):



Finally, I threaded all of the pipes with the speaker wire and HDMI cables. There is plenty of room for more cables if I need them (I have a ton of CAT6 behind the closet that has been run to various locations in the theater but I am currently not using).



I still need to use some zip ties to make it all look nice but I'm quite pleased with how this worked out.



I think I may also need to install a light in the closet.... hmmm...
Ladeback and bubbrik like this.
javeryh is offline  
post #674 of 697 Old 10-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Member
 
moe80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Great work Javery.
The theater turned out awesome.
The hard work paid off and now you get to finally enjoy it.
I'm close, but still some work to be done. cannot wait.



Moe80
moe80 is online now  
post #675 of 697 Old 10-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
Alright - not too exciting update but here's what I did to manage the speaker wire and cables coming into the equipment closet:

I went out and bought a 2' section of PVC pipe (2" interior diameter) for a few dollars at Home Depot. I used my miter box and hand saw and cut it into 4 equal sections (that's 6" each for you math whizzes out there).



I also bought 4 collars that looked like they could be used as "stops" on the ends of the pipes so they wouldn't fall through the opening in the ceiling.



This was my plan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP1D9ALH_fU

So the first thing I did was get out my 2-3/8" hole saw to drill the holes in the ceiling of the equipment closet. The hole saw has to be bigger than 2" because that is the interior diameter of the PVC pipe.



Next, I drilled the holes. This took a bit of planning due to the studs and framing of the closet on the outside. To the far right I also had an HVAC duct going over the closet so I couldn't get anything to work on that side. Once I knew where it was safe to drill I just tried spacing them out evenly.



Then I installed the pipes (after taking a rubber mallet to the collars to get them on nice and tight - they are not ever coming apart):



Finally, I threaded all of the pipes with the speaker wire and HDMI cables. There is plenty of room for more cables if I need them (I have a ton of CAT6 behind the closet that has been run to various locations in the theater but I am currently not using).



I still need to use some zip ties to make it all look nice but I'm quite pleased with how this worked out.



I think I may also need to install a light in the closet.... hmmm...


Wow @javeryh that was very creative! Hope your speakers/electronics get back on track.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bubbrik is online now  
post #676 of 697 Old 10-04-2017, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
javeryh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbrik View Post
Wow @javeryh that was very creative! Hope your speakers/electronics get back on track.
Thanks. I'm slowly but surely working on things. I messed around a bit last night and figured out how to save lens settings (I read the instructions!) so now I can switch between 16:9 and 2.40:1 easily. The 16:9 looks WAY better than I thought it would. The picture is obviously great but the smaller size didn't bother me at all. It still seemed huge and immersive. I used "Bolt" to set the edge of the picture because that movie is in 16:9 and the beginning is awesome - there is a chase scene with helicopters and when the blades are spinning my chairs are shaking. I have a feeling everything is going to seem awesome in there from now on.



It is still FAR from perfect - I have to tweak the zoom and focus settings a bit more so that the picture hits the edge of the screen but doesn't overlap too much - the velvet border is awesome - makes the picture completely disappear. The projector also needs to be leveled as it is still leaning to the left a tiny bit but the room is definitely usable. I think the issue there is that the projector is not exactly perpendicular to the screen. It just dawned on me this morning during my run so when I get home I'll see if moving it slightly will level it out.

The subs are still making a lot of unwanted noise - I haven't even attempted to work that out but @eng-399 is going to try and walk me through it. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

I'm also in the market for professional calibration. Should I do this now or wait until the equipment is "broken in" after say, 100 hours or so? I preordered an Xbox One X and am planning on using that as my player for 4K content (in addition to using it for video games, Netflix, HBOGO, Amazon Prime, etc.). Should I at least wait until I have that in hand before hiring someone? Any recommendations in this area would be appreciated.

Other than that, I can't say enough about how ridiculous it is having a movie theater in my house!!
DavidK442 and Ladeback like this.
javeryh is offline  
post #677 of 697 Old 10-05-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,114
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
Thanks. I'm slowly but surely working on things. I messed around a bit last night and figured out how to save lens settings (I read the instructions!) so now I can switch between 16:9 and 2.40:1 easily. The 16:9 looks WAY better than I thought it would. The picture is obviously great but the smaller size didn't bother me at all. It still seemed huge and immersive. I used "Bolt" to set the edge of the picture because that movie is in 16:9 and the beginning is awesome - there is a chase scene with helicopters and when the blades are spinning my chairs are shaking. I have a feeling everything is going to seem awesome in there from now on.



It is still FAR from perfect - I have to tweak the zoom and focus settings a bit more so that the picture hits the edge of the screen but doesn't overlap too much - the velvet border is awesome - makes the picture completely disappear. The projector also needs to be leveled as it is still leaning to the left a tiny bit but the room is definitely usable. I think the issue there is that the projector is not exactly perpendicular to the screen. It just dawned on me this morning during my run so when I get home I'll see if moving it slightly will level it out.

The subs are still making a lot of unwanted noise - I haven't even attempted to work that out but @eng-399 is going to try and walk me through it. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

I'm also in the market for professional calibration. Should I do this now or wait until the equipment is "broken in" after say, 100 hours or so? I preordered an Xbox One X and am planning on using that as my player for 4K content (in addition to using it for video games, Netflix, HBOGO, Amazon Prime, etc.). Should I at least wait until I have that in hand before hiring someone? Any recommendations in this area would be appreciated.

Other than that, I can't say enough about how ridiculous it is having a movie theater in my house!!
Are those masking panels you are using? If so, did you get them from Seymour or did you make them yourself?

Thanks.
COACH2369 is offline  
post #678 of 697 Old 10-05-2017, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
javeryh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Are those masking panels you are using? If so, did you get them from Seymour or did you make them yourself?

Thanks.
I'm using masking panels made by Seymour. They were custom fit to my screen and are held in place by magnets. Super easy to install.
Ladeback likes this.
javeryh is offline  
post #679 of 697 Old 10-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How close are your subs to the screen material? Do you notice the screen vibrating at all?
bochoss is offline  
post #680 of 697 Old 10-05-2017, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
javeryh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by bochoss View Post
How close are your subs to the screen material? Do you notice the screen vibrating at all?
The subs are probably 3-4" from the screen material if I had to guess. The screen does not move.
javeryh is offline  
post #681 of 697 Old 10-05-2017, 02:32 PM
Member
 
CaptKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Very Simply- that theater looks amazing. You did an outstanding job.
CaptKid is offline  
post #682 of 697 Old 10-06-2017, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,114
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
I'm using masking panels made by Seymour. They were custom fit to my screen and are held in place by magnets. Super easy to install.
Good deal. I am thinking about adding some to my new screen at some point.
COACH2369 is offline  
post #683 of 697 Old 10-06-2017, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
javeryh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKid View Post
Very Simply- that theater looks amazing. You did an outstanding job.
Thanks a lot. Readibng that makes it all seems worth it. It has been a loooooong road and I'm not done yet. Lots and lots of tweaking to do and I have to sort out the cable box/internet situation and I'm still waiting on the Xbox One X for 4K blu-ray capability and may want to add some other equipment as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Good deal. I am thinking about adding some to my new screen at some point.
Did you get your screen from Seymour? If so I'd give them a call - I was told that I could not order the masking panels after the fact because they were custom tailored to my screen to ensure a perfect fit. I didn't want to spend the extra money at that point but I went ahead anyway based on that. Not sure how true it is but I am glad I ordered them.

Question: Anyone know if it is possible to add a second router to my house so I can hard wire devices to my network in the basement? I have FIOS and they gave me a router that I use upstairs for the Xbox One, PS4, Switch and the cable box. We watch Netflix, Amazon, etc. through the Xbox upstairs and I'd like a similar setup in the basement - hard wired as well.

The fiber comes into my house in the basement into a Verizon box and then it looks like a coax cable comes out and goes upstairs to feed the rest of the house. Can I split that coax cable and run one end to the equipment closet in the basement and the other end upstairs? Where is the modem? I'm not sure how this works but relying on a wireless signal from upstairs is not a good solution for me - I haven't had any luck with range extenders or any other wireless solutions either.
javeryh is offline  
post #684 of 697 Old 10-06-2017, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
Thanks a lot. Readibng that makes it all seems worth it. It has been a loooooong road and I'm not done yet. Lots and lots of tweaking to do and I have to sort out the cable box/internet situation and I'm still waiting on the Xbox One X for 4K blu-ray capability and may want to add some other equipment as well.



Did you get your screen from Seymour? If so I'd give them a call - I was told that I could not order the masking panels after the fact because they were custom tailored to my screen to ensure a perfect fit. I didn't want to spend the extra money at that point but I went ahead anyway based on that. Not sure how true it is but I am glad I ordered them.

Question: Anyone know if it is possible to add a second router to my house so I can hard wire devices to my network in the basement? I have FIOS and they gave me a router that I use upstairs for the Xbox One, PS4, Switch and the cable box. We watch Netflix, Amazon, etc. through the Xbox upstairs and I'd like a similar setup in the basement - hard wired as well.

The fiber comes into my house in the basement into a Verizon box and then it looks like a coax cable comes out and goes upstairs to feed the rest of the house. Can I split that coax cable and run one end to the equipment closet in the basement and the other end upstairs? Where is the modem? I'm not sure how this works but relying on a wireless signal from upstairs is not a good solution for me - I haven't had any luck with range extenders or any other wireless solutions either.
I use a Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch that plugs into my modem router upstairs via a 50' Cat 6 Ethernet cable. You can get switches with 4,5, 8 or even 16 connection plug ins to it. I have Google Fiber and this has made it nice to plug in a PS3, Pre/Pro, AVR and my personal computer. I also have extra ports if needed. I got an 8 port one. I will look at the brand I bought when I get home tonight.

You don't know where your modem is? Is yours and all in one? Most are now a days. What are you plugging into now? When I plug into my main modem/router I can get 1 GB from those 4 ports. With Google Fiber TV boxes they have a single Ethernet connection in them and they are good to 100 MB.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is online now  
post #685 of 697 Old 10-06-2017, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
javeryh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I use a Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch that plugs into my modem router upstairs via a 50' Cat 6 Ethernet cable. You can get switches with 4,5, 8 or even 16 connection plug ins to it. I have Google Fiber and this has made it nice to plug in a PS3, Pre/Pro, AVR and my personal computer. I also have extra ports if needed. I got an 8 port one. I will look at the brand I bought when I get home tonight.

You don't know where your modem is? Is yours and all in one? Most are now a days. What are you plugging into now? When I plug into my main modem/router I can get 1 GB from those 4 ports. With Google Fiber TV boxes they have a single Ethernet connection in them and they are good to 100 MB.
I'm reasonably certain it is an all in one device for the modem and wifi. I have a cable box from Verizon for watching TV (DVR too) and on top of that sits the modem/router. The problem will be getting any wire to that area (other than the coax that goes up from the basement). So a wired range extender wouldn't be feasible.
javeryh is offline  
post #686 of 697 Old 10-06-2017, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
I'm reasonably certain it is an all in one device for the modem and wifi. I have a cable box from Verizon for watching TV (DVR too) and on top of that sits the modem/router. The problem will be getting any wire to that area (other than the coax that goes up from the basement). So a wired range extender wouldn't be feasible.
The last Google tech at my house said that he liked eero for wireless WIFi extenders. They are not cheap, but are suppose to be really good. Amazon sells it as well, but I think it may be cheaper from the manufacturer below. I had a problem at home until I had my modem/router moved up to our main level.


https://eero.com/?cvosrc=ppc.google....MaAjdREALw_wcB

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is online now  
post #687 of 697 Old 10-06-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,114
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
Thanks a lot. Readibng that makes it all seems worth it. It has been a loooooong road and I'm not done yet. Lots and lots of tweaking to do and I have to sort out the cable box/internet situation and I'm still waiting on the Xbox One X for 4K blu-ray capability and may want to add some other equipment as well.



Did you get your screen from Seymour? If so I'd give them a call - I was told that I could not order the masking panels after the fact because they were custom tailored to my screen to ensure a perfect fit. I didn't want to spend the extra money at that point but I went ahead anyway based on that. Not sure how true it is but I am glad I ordered them.

Question: Anyone know if it is possible to add a second router to my house so I can hard wire devices to my network in the basement? I have FIOS and they gave me a router that I use upstairs for the Xbox One, PS4, Switch and the cable box. We watch Netflix, Amazon, etc. through the Xbox upstairs and I'd like a similar setup in the basement - hard wired as well.

The fiber comes into my house in the basement into a Verizon box and then it looks like a coax cable comes out and goes upstairs to feed the rest of the house. Can I split that coax cable and run one end to the equipment closet in the basement and the other end upstairs? Where is the modem? I'm not sure how this works but relying on a wireless signal from upstairs is not a good solution for me - I haven't had any luck with range extenders or any other wireless solutions either.
Bummer....I did order my screen from Seymour but it has already shipped, so I might contact them and see if I am able to get some. Worse case, I can probably figure out how to make some.
COACH2369 is offline  
post #688 of 697 Old 10-16-2017, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
javeryh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 221
So we have been enjoying the theater for the past couple of weeks even though things still need to be calibrated/tweaked quite a bit. I'm trying to keep track of everything that's left but it is definitely true that progress stops once the theater becomes functional! Here's a walkthrough from a couple weeks ago that I never posted:


So far Rogue One and The LEGO Batman movie were amazing. Picture and sound were excellent. The other movies we've watched have varied in quality - Back to the Future was great but in 16:9 so a bit of a disappointment there. That movie is timeless though - one of my favorites and to see it for the first time on the big screen was fantastic. Same thing with Tangled - looked great but was in 16:9. Actually, most of the blu-rays that I own are in 16:9 format, which stinks - why movie studios??? I only own 5 or 6 non-animated movies so.... yeah. Most of the Pixar, Dreamworks and Disney movies are 16:9. Moana is 2.40:1 though so I'm looking forward to that. My son has been asking to watch all 7 Star Wars movies so we will do that soon enough. I need to figure out a way to get some high quality movie files for a HTPC or something to that effect - buying blu-rays will bankrupt me.

I got the subwoofer humming to stop - it was such an easy fix so I was lucky. It was a ground loop so a 2 prong to 3 prong plug adapter was all it took to correct the issue. However, I have another issue and I'm not sure if it is fixable - I can hear the projector fan. Due to heat concerns, I haven't had the front panel of the projector box on during a movie yet so everything we have watched has been without the cover on. With the cover, there would be no ventilation for the projector (other than whatever air could pass through FR701 fabric), which won't be good so I need to figure something out. Maybe cut a hole in the bottom of the box and install a vent? Maybe add a fan inside the box to pull air into the soffit? I don't know. The fan is distracting for people in the back row so I need to think of something. Speaking of that - I have yet to sit in the MLP! Kids have been in the front row for everything so far!

Here's my running list of what's in the immediate future:

Equipment
  • Fix/mask fan noise from projector
  • Get another cable box from Verizon for TV
  • Figure out Wifi mesh so I can hard wire devices to home network in basement and upstairs in TV room
  • Buy universal RF remote (Harmony Elite?)
  • Buy 3D dongle for projector and 7 sets of glasses
  • Waiting on Xbox One X (for 4K - November 7)
  • Figure out Insteon light system (buttons on wall are programmed but app is wonky)
  • Calibrate picture and sound

Room
  • Paint 11 light bezels black around soffit
  • Screw floor vents in place
  • Buy and install light cover (4 switches) for equipment closet
  • Install light in equipment closet


I haven't had time in the past 2 weeks to do much - family stuff going on so not a lot of free time. Hopefully as the weather gets colder and I streamline operations I'll be getting more and more use out of the room. Right now I won't let anyone watch anything if I'm not home - I'd like to get to a point where my oldest kids can go down there and turn everything on and watch whatever they want without my help. More later...
Ladeback likes this.
javeryh is offline  
post #689 of 697 Old 10-16-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SteveCallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 7,243
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I bet the hush box is actually amplifying the fan noise of the projector. Mine is sitting in free air, hanging 12? from the ceiling, and it is pretty whisper quiet. Can you deconstruct your hush box as a test?
SteveCallas is offline  
post #690 of 697 Old 10-16-2017, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
javeryh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
I bet the hush box is actually amplifying the fan noise of the projector. Mine is sitting in free air, hanging 12? from the ceiling, and it is pretty whisper quiet. Can you deconstruct your hush box as a test?
I hadn't thought of that. The inside of the box is not lined with anything (it's bare plywood) so it probably is amplifying the noise into the room. Unfortunately, I cannot deconstruct it - it is built into the rear soffit. Perhaps if I lined the inside with linacoustic or something it might absorb some of the noise?
javeryh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off