• 4 Post By woodgieroo
  • 1 Post By Rengozu

post #1 of 24 Old 12-01-2015, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Cobbled, but functional!

Be forewarned; this is nowhere near intended to be a high-scale build! Those are the things I dream about while I'm settling for gear in my price range.

When my wife and I decided a few years ago to move to a larger house, we had our list of "must haves" and "would likes", a theater room being part of the latter group. Low and behold our realtor found the perfect house. Bonus, or so I thought at the time: the theater room was already set up!

Before we bought it, the house was locked into being on a local parade of homes so the theater already had a couch, 2 chairs, projector, receiver, an 8" sub, (2) ceiling surrounds and (2) tiny tower speakers. No center speaker in sight. It sounded… decent but I was still very annoyed that there were 3 "missing" speakers to get the full 7.1 surround effect.

Nevertheless, I asked the installer how much for them to just leave all their gear after the parade. Ten. Grand. Small potatoes for some of you, but to me, that's a lot of cash, especially for what I considered sub-par.

Now, I'd already ran numbers for how much it would run me to reuse my existing gear and upgrade as I could and that clocked in at somewhere between $1k-2k. Liking that number A LOT more, I told them to pack their stuff up. I have since added a few more items so the price tag is edging closer to $3k but I think it sounds a lot better than what they had installed and for 1/3 the price.

Without further ado, I give you my build - The Cobblepit.

Left channel: Cerwin Vega E-312
Left subwoofer: JBL PSW-1000

Center channel: Sony SS-CN550H
Just visible to the right of the center: IR blaster from the Harmony Hub to control the projector and lights

Right channel: Cerwin Vega E-312
Right subwoofer: Monoprice 605999

Surround left and right: (2) Niles CM7BG
Surround rear left and right: (2) Monoprice 4104
Projector: BenQ W1070

Any suggestions for removing some of the overcast light on the ceiling? Short of aiming the projector down more, of course.

Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR616 located in the mechanical room, hence the need for an RF remote
Remote: LogitechHarmony Hub
BR player: fat PS3 (not pictured)

Light switch: Lutron Maestro IR Digital Dimmer

Note: The play, pause and stop buttons have been re-mapped to turn off the sconces (play) and bring them up to around 40% (pause (I call it the "going to the bathroom" button) and stop). Also, the lights stay on for 30 seconds when the power button is pressed to allow me to escape the minefield that is my family room full of LEGO bricks without injury.

Media: PLEX, Netflix (not pictured), Amazon Prime (not pictured)

Screen: Nonexistent. The wall is painted Sherwin Williams “Grey Matters” (SW7066). I gave the projector a shot without a screen, mostly because I wasn’t positive how large an image it would project (turns out it’s 163”). I used a piece of paper to simulate a screen and quickly decided it would be entirely too bright for me. Bonus, I saved a bunch not needing a screen. Two years later and I still don’t regret that decision.

I have a new hard drive on its way so I can finish ripping the rest of my movies, too. Damn Blu-rays and their colossal file sizes!

Seating, back wall and movie reel side tables:

Yes, I still need to finish my Rasterbated (that's just fun to say) image.

Thanks for looking and any comments/criticism welcomed!
idean, SMHarman, Rengozu and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-02-2015, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Wow not bad! How do you like that Monoprice Subwoofer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A United States Marine -
No Better Friend - No Worst Enemy!

Preview the "Prican Lounge" here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...-s-lounge.html
post #3 of 24 Old 12-03-2015, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Well I learned a new word today... Rasterbated. Haha, I like it and my kid would love that.

How are you liking plex for the theatre? I've been using it mostly to get shows on my kid's ipad.

post #4 of 24 Old 12-03-2015, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prican2000 View Post
Wow not bad! How do you like that Monoprice Subwoofer?
I've only had it for about 2 weeks so I haven't had a chance to open it up and see what it'll do (read: my wife's been around and complains when I start to turn things up...) but for my purposes, like filling in the voids from the underpowered JBL, it works beautifully.
post #5 of 24 Old 12-03-2015, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferatuOMeGa View Post
Well I learned a new word today... Rasterbated. Haha, I like it and my kid would love that.
I've wanted to Rasterbate something for years but never had a good place to until the theater came along. Eighty 11?17 pieces of paper makes for some pretty inexpensive wall covering and I won't feel guilty changing it out every once in a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferatuOMeGa View Post
How are you liking plex for the theatre? I've been using it mostly to get shows on my kid's ipad.
I was streaming movies over DNA with PS3Mediaserver, and it worked great. For the PS3 (the medit plAyer in the theater). But with a smart TV upstairs, 2 PS3s, an iPad and numerous phones, I wanted something that could play my media on them all. PLEX has been nothing short of perfect, in my opinion. Absurdly easy to set up, it just simply works on all of my devices and I can stream content from friends' media, too? Sign me up!
post #6 of 24 Old 05-11-2016, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

I'm clearly turning into a Craigslist junkie - I bought a third sub but for only $40, I figured why not. I've been playing with Room EQ Wizard on and off for the last week or so trying to find the idea location for the subs and, frankly put, my head is starting to hurt. I'm hoping someone with a lot more experience can assist with that.

The room is 14'-10" wide, 20'-0" long and 7'-11" tall. It's not clear at all in the pictures (at the time I was focusing on the gear, not the room) but the front, left and rear walls are available for sub placement anywhere. The right wall has two 3'-0" sliding barn doors.

My main seat is in the center of the back row so I've been targeting that position but, obviously, I'd like it to sound good everywhere. The attached image is about the best I've been able to come up with. The substantial dip at 45Hz isn't a terrible thing as that's essentially the front row seats where my wife usually sits and she's really not that big a fan of LFE anyway.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Room Simulation.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1434282  
post #7 of 24 Old 08-04-2017, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

The Rasterbated Avengers wallpaper needed to go to install something a bit more grown up - a pallet wall.

A BUNCH more detail pictures and comments/suggestions if anyone is interested!

idean, Rengozu, unretarded and 1 others like this.

Last edited by woodgieroo; 08-04-2017 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Image issues
post #8 of 24 Old 08-04-2017, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgieroo View Post
The Rasterbated Avengers wallpaper needed to go to install something a bit more grown up - a pallet wall.

A BUNCH more detail pictures and comments/suggestions if anyone is interested!
Awww, liked the rasterbated Avengers.
woodgieroo likes this.
post #9 of 24 Old 08-04-2017, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengozu View Post
Awww, liked the rasterbated Avengers.
I was a bit sad when it came down but I am quite pleased with the results (see previous post, attachment issue resolved).

post #10 of 24 Old 08-09-2017, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The wall is painted Sherwin Williams “Grey Matters” (SW7066).

Is this paint in flat, eggshell, etc ?

Do the borders show too much grey. I have the 1075 benq, so very similiar setup.

I have a white 4x8 plastic sheet with velvet border and masking, but want to go bigger and your grey is wife approved so far.
post #11 of 24 Old 08-09-2017, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddhs2 View Post
The wall is painted Sherwin Williams “Grey Matters” (SW7066).

Is this paint in flat, eggshell, etc ?
I just took a look at the cans the contractor left. Where some of the other paint used in the house says flat or semi-gloss, the Grey Matters just says "low sheen". Sherwin Williams' site has Low-Luster listed. I'm assuming that would be the same thing.
Quote:
Do the borders show too much grey. I have the 1075 benq, so very similiar setup.
Are you referring to the wall outside of the projected image? If so, not that I've paid any attention to. I'd considered either painting a flat black rectangle or applying a border to the wall but haven't felt the need to.

If there are any pictures you'd like me to take, let me know what you're looking for.
Quote:
I have a white 4x8 plastic sheet with velvet border and masking, but want to go bigger and your grey is wife approved so far.
The color was chosen by the interior designer that worked on the house so I can't claim having any input in picking it but it does, at least in my opinion, make a great color for the wall. Keep in mind that my theater room is in a basement with no windows so I can get it completely dark. If you have a lot of ambient light, you'll undoubtedly get different results but I couldn't be happier with shooting it straight onto the wall. And in the process saving myself a lot of cash not needing a screen.
post #12 of 24 Old 08-10-2017, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Nice work on the pallet wall. Have you noticed much of an acoustic change with that vs. the Avengers wallpaper?

I'm also VERY curious about your lighting setup. You said you "remapped" your buttons so that pause will bring your lights up to 40%, among other things. Can you elaborate on this one for me? I created a thread asking how to do this (i.e. COULD it be done with Harmony, what equipment is needed etc) and the agreed upon answer was it's just not possible! If you could shed some "light" on that I'd be greatly appreciative!
post #13 of 24 Old 08-10-2017, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty3x3 View Post
Nice work on the pallet wall.
Thank you. It took entirely too long (not a good idea to start this in the fall when it'll be too cold in the garage to work on ripping pallets apart...) but I'm quite pleased with the results.
Quote:
Have you noticed much of an acoustic change with that vs. the Avengers wallpaper?
Theoretically it should have as I added not only the layer of pallet wood but also a layer of 1/2" plywood behind it for something to pin nail the wood to. I'm not terribly well versed on acoustics but as the wall behind all of that is drywall and a poured concrete foundation wall. The room has always had a bit of an echo when you clap but I've not noticed it enough when watching movies that I've felt the need to do any acoustic treatment. Especially after putting a sticky note on the wall at all the speaker reflection points.
Quote:
I'm also VERY curious about your lighting setup. You said you "remapped" your buttons so that pause will bring your lights up to 40%, among other things. Can you elaborate on this one for me? I created a thread asking how to do this (i.e. COULD it be done with Harmony, what equipment is needed etc) and the agreed upon answer was it's just not possible! If you could shed some "light" on that I'd be greatly appreciative!
I'll check officially tonight as I'm at work and the Hub won't let me check how it's set up unless I'm on the same wifi network so I'll try and go off of memory for now. I have a Harmony Hub (now called a Harmony Companion, I believe) so your layout/setup might be a bit different.

This is the Lutron light switch I installed in the theater room. I don't believe that that particular switch works with LEDs so keep that in mind. As my sconces are incandescent, that hasn't been an issue.

In the Harmony app, I changed the "Play" button on the remote from controlling only the PS3 (my BR player) play command to also include turning off the lights. The pause button was changed in the same way, only to bring the lights up to a "favorite" level, which for me is about 40%. Enough to see what you're eating or to make your way to the bathroom. Stop is the same as pause.

When I press "Off", everything turns off like it should be I set a 30 second delay for the lights so I can make it to the stairs before they turn off.

Let me know if you'd like any more details!
post #14 of 24 Old 08-10-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I'll check officially tonight as I'm at work and the Hub won't let me check how it's set up unless I'm on the same wifi network so I'll try and go off of memory for now. I have a Harmony Hub (now called a Harmony Companion, I believe) so your layout/setup might be a bit different.

This is the Lutron light switch I installed in the theater room. I don't believe that that particular switch works with LEDs so keep that in mind. As my sconces are incandescent, that hasn't been an issue.

In the Harmony app, I changed the "Play" button on the remote from controlling only the PS3 (my BR player) play command to also include turning off the lights. The pause button was changed in the same way, only to bring the lights up to a "favorite" level, which for me is about 40%. Enough to see what you're eating or to make your way to the bathroom. Stop is the same as pause.

When I press "Off", everything turns off like it should be I set a 30 second delay for the lights so I can make it to the stairs before they turn off.

Let me know if you'd like any more details!
Absolutely! I have been in around and through the my harmony setup tool trying to figure this out so if you could check your setup when you eat home I would be greatly indebted! Hopefully you'll see exactly how you had to configure the button layout to make this work. When I try, I can only assign lighting controls to activities, not buttons. i.e. 'Watch BluRay' activity will turn lights off and 'Power Off' turns lights back on but I have not been able to find the option of programming the Play/Pause button to do any thing other than Play or Pause.
post #15 of 24 Old 08-10-2017, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Absolutely! I have been in around and through the my harmony setup tool trying to figure this out so if you could check your setup when you eat home I would be greatly indebted!
Just to reiterate, I have the Lutron Maestro IR installed so if you've got a different light switch for your LEDs, setup might vary.

And I apologize for the flood of screenshots you're about to get!

In the app, tap on the little hamburger icon to get into the menu:

In the menu, tap on Harmony Setup:

Then Add/Edit Devices & Activities:

In Settings, tap on Remote & Hub:

Then Harmony Smart Control:

Tap on Activity Control Buttons:

Then, in my case, the activity I want to edit is named Play PS3. Yours will likely be named differently:

Once you're in the Activity you want to edit, ignore the orange outlines and tap on the Play button:

After tapping on the Play button, I opted to edit the Short Press command. Tap whichever you'd like to use:

In the Short Press menu, make sure it's on Sequence, not Commands and then tap New Sequence:

Since my devices are already in there:

you'll need to add your BR/DVD/VCR/whatever player and the lights. Name your sequence then tap Add a step. Add the player then tap Command and scroll down and select Play. Tapping the right arrow at the top corner should take you back to the main Add Sequence Screen. Tap Add a Step again, selecting the lights this time and work your way through the menu selecting the Off (AllLightsOff?) Command. Tap the Right arrow at the top corner three times to get back to the Activity Control Buttons menu. Repeat the same process, only select the Pause and Stop commands selecting either AllLightsOn or, in my case, Favorite for the Lights Command. Adjust as you see fit.

I hope I got all that correct and it makes sense!

EDIT: If you want a walk-through on setting a delay for the lights when you turn them off, I can do that, too.
post #16 of 24 Old 08-11-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely! I have been in around and through the my harmony setup tool trying to figure this out so if you could check your setup when you eat home I would be greatly indebted!
Just to reiterate, I have the Lutron Maestro IR installed so if you've got a different light switch for your LEDs, setup might vary.

And I apologize for the flood of screenshots you're about to get!

In the app, tap on the little hamburger icon to get into the menu:

In the menu, tap on Harmony Setup:

Then Add/Edit Devices & Activities:

In Settings, tap on Remote & Hub:

Then Harmony Smart Control:

Tap on Activity Control Buttons:

Then, in my case, the activity I want to edit is named Play PS3. Yours will likely be named differently:

Once you're in the Activity you want to edit, ignore the orange outlines and tap on the Play button:

After tapping on the Play button, I opted to edit the Short Press command. Tap whichever you'd like to use:

In the Short Press menu, make sure it's on Sequence, not Commands and then tap New Sequence:

Since my devices are already in there:

you'll need to add your BR/DVD/VCR/whatever player and the lights. Name your sequence then tap Add a step. Add the player then tap Command and scroll down and select Play. Tapping the right arrow at the top corner should take you back to the main Add Sequence Screen. Tap Add a Step again, selecting the lights this time and work your way through the menu selecting the Off (AllLightsOff?) Command. Tap the Right arrow at the top corner three times to get back to the Activity Control Buttons menu. Repeat the same process, only select the Pause and Stop commands selecting either AllLightsOn or, in my case, Favorite for the Lights Command. Adjust as you see fit.

I hope I got all that correct and it makes sense!

EDIT: If you want a walk-through on setting a delay for the lights when you turn them off, I can do that, too.
Epic post man! Really appreciate you going through the hassles of all the screenshots for me!

I will go to the store tomorrow and buy the Caseta Bridge and try that. I added my Insteon hub and light just as you described, and when I go to add or create the sequence, my lights are not listed as an available device to use in the sequence. Yours were already there. I'm assuming it's just because it's not supported with Insteon? I might try to add my smarthings hub and see if I can get it to work using that. If not, I'll pick up the caseta bridge tomorrow and give it a shot. Can always return it if it doesn't work either!

Will keep you posted!
post #17 of 24 Old 08-11-2017, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Epic post man! Really appreciate you going through the hassles of all the screenshots for me!
Happy to help. Or at least attempt to!
Quote:
I added my Insteon hub and light just as you described, and when I go to add or create the sequence, my lights are not listed as an available device to use in the sequence. Yours were already there. I'm assuming it's just because it's not supported with Insteon?
Looking at the Harmony Device Compatibility, Insteon is listed as fully compatible with the Harmony Hub so as long as you've added it as a device, it should be able to be added as part of the sequence.
Quote:
Will keep you posted!
Good luck!
post #18 of 24 Old 08-12-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Happy to help. Or at least attempt to!

Looking at the Harmony Device Compatibility, Insteon is listed as fully compatible with the Harmony Hub so as long as you've added it as a device, it should be able to be added as part of the sequence.

Good luck!
So this is what I see in the Harmony App when following the step you provided. I get all the way through the steps just as explained, but when I get to the part of adding a device to the sequence, I only have the TV, Xbox, and Amp as available devices. I have added both the Insteon HUB and the SmartThings HUB and neither of them will show up as device when adding a step to the sequence. I even thought maybe I have to control the Xbox to PAUSE first and THEN it would let me add the lights, but nothing. So I'll try the Lutron today after I get back from the water park with my son and see if it works as yours does. If not, I'll take it back and then I guess just try to order the exact device you have as it obviously works! lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1176.PNG
Views:	14
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	2266664   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1177.PNG
Views:	14
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	2266670   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1178.PNG
Views:	13
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	2266672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1179.PNG
Views:	13
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2266674  
post #19 of 24 Old 08-12-2017, 04:42 PM

Well I can now confirm that the Lutron Caseta Wireless Smart Bridge will not allow me to add a step to the sequence either. I just don't know why this is such a problem for Harmony. The hub controls my light perfectly. On/Off dim etc... perfect. So why will it not allow me to add it to a button on the remote. Makes absolutely no sense. Can you tell me the exact mode number of the Lutron equipment you are using? Is it just a single dimmer switch or do you have a Bridge and a switch?
post #20 of 24 Old 08-12-2017, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

It's strange that if the Hub can control the lights that they can't be added into a sequence. It has been quite a while since I set it up but I don't think I missed anything.
Quote:
Can you tell me the exact mode number of the Lutron equipment you are using? Is it just a single dimmer switch or do you have a Bridge and a switch?
I picked it up at Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Ma...W-WH/100399015

Just a switch and the associated remote.
post #21 of 24 Old 08-12-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
It's strange that if the Hub can control the lights that they can't be added into a sequence. It has been quite a while since I set it up but I don't think I missed anything.
Quote:
Can you tell me the exact mode number of the Lutron equipment you are using? Is it just a single dimmer switch or do you have a Bridge and a switch?
I picked it up at Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Ma...W-WH/100399015

Just a switch and the associated remote.
Yep. Controls the light perfectly but when I get to the part of adding a step to the sequence and it asks me to choose a device, it only lets me choose the tv, amp, or playback device. I even added the switch as a device to the activity thinking that might affect it somehow. No dice.

I can't try the switch you are using right now because I am in an apartment waiting for our house to be finished being built. I was hoping to figure this out before moving in but I guess I'll have to wait.
post #22 of 24 Old 08-20-2017, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, do you know the name of your wall color ?

Thanks.
post #23 of 24 Old 08-20-2017, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouraxe View Post
Hi, do you know the name of your wall color ?

Thanks.
It's Sherwin Williams Grey Matters.
post #24 of 24 Old 09-06-2017, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How do you like the CV's for the mains?

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction