In need of help from experienced people. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2015, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
In need of help from experienced people.

Hello guys, I just created an account here right now, mostly in order to be able to write this thread. (Sorry if i accidently chose the wrong section)

Here's the background, I'm new to this (everything about projectors), although i have been reading up quite a lot for about a week now, but i still feel the need of help from people who actually know for sure what works and what doesn't. I am probably going to buy a Benq HT1075 projector (99% sure that it is going to be that one ). I have a room in my house that I'm planning to use as a home theater. Im going to setup the projector far enough from the screen so that it will fill a 100" screen, and we will sit about 4-4,5 meters from it.

Here is my actual questions..
The room will be pretty much completely dark, and barely no ambient light. The walls in that room are yellow/white, with other words pretty light. I have the intention to use the projector at the setting "smart eco". What kind of a screen should i buy while having these things in my mind?
Based on what i've learned (last 7 days), I'm thinking that i should go for a gray screen with the gain about 1,3. I -think- that this will be appropriate because:
1. The walls are light so in order for them not to sabotage the experience its better with some gain.
2. The gain will improve the brightness of the movie, which is needed because of the use of a gray screen + eco mode.
3. The room will be completely dark so i should be able to use the gray screen (which improves the black-levels) without loosing too much brightness.

Am i thinking correctly or have I gotten all of this totally wrong? Should i have a higher/lower gain, gray or white screen? I will also probably watch some 3D movies with this projector. 3D lowers the brightness because you're only seeing the movie with one eye at the time, how will this be affected by that screen, and what should i improve/change.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards, Haris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2015, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Are there grey screens with 1.3 gain?

Gain is created by having the screen throw light back at the viewer. A high gain screen will have a narrow viewing cone, with a large fall off
of brightness as you move off center. So that could be a nice feature with a light colored room.

I think you are also sitting a little too far away, for a 100" screen... So I have to ask why the 4-4.5 metres choice.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:09 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2042 Post(s)
Liked: 1784
I had a 1.3 gain gray Firehawk screen, after comparing some white Acoustically transparent screen fabric samples with a 1.0 gain and getting a better projector I sold it on Craig's List and I had a brighter picture.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
To the OP,

Grey screens are not designed to give a brighter image, they are designed to give an image with higher contrast in a non (or poor) light-controlled environment.

Since the darkest black any projector can produce is simply 'no light' being protected at a certain point, if the surface being projected on appears light to the observer (as it would in a poor environment), then that is what your 'black' is going to look like, and all other colours will suffer too. Result is a washed out image.

I am sceptical that any grey screen that claims a gain of 1.3 is going to work as a grey screen should, i.e. give an increase in contrast (which is the problem to be solved in lighter rooms).

At the end of the day, any screen used to 'fix' problems with lighting is a compromise. If you are able to control the lighting a little better, and re-paint (a problem in a rental, I guess) the walls (and ceiling) a darker colour, the whole issue disappears.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Isn't the Firehawk long discontinued?

The earliest grey screens were a response to improve black levels of most "affordable" projectors, back then.
I don't see how one would be the answer to a light colored room.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:51 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2042 Post(s)
Liked: 1784
it is still listed on the Stewart site but I see the gain is now rated at 1.1
Old 12-06-2015, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Might be a new version? The grey layer would help absorb ambient light, while the lower gain would allow for a more uniform
light output across the screen, while still giving a wide viewing angle. I'm beginning to see where this might indeed be a solid screen
choice.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

"So I have to ask why the 4-4.5 metres choice."

That was just my first thought, because i believed that it would be a appropriate position to sit at, although upon considiration i may have mistaken myself, what's the "recommended" distance to sit from a 100" screen according to you?

So if would paint the walls dark, what kind of a screen should i go for? White, 1.0 gain?
But if painting the walls was not a choice, what solution would you guys propose?
Old 12-07-2015, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

"So I have to ask why the 4-4.5 metres choice."

That was just my first thought, because i believed that it would be a appropriate position to sit at, although upon considiration i may have mistaken myself, what's the "recommended" distance to sit from a 100" screen according to you?

So if would paint the walls dark, what kind of a screen should i go for? White, 1.0 gain?
But if painting the walls was not a choice, what solution would you guys propose?
Old 12-08-2015, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I like a 1:1 (screen width/eyeballs to the screen) ratio, unless we're talking about something like an XD AT screen where
I'd want a little more distance, to not see the weave.

Is there to be a second row of seating? That might sway the layout one way or another.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Havent tryied that ratio, but i sure will do now. Im going from a 42" LCD to 100" projector, therefore was i not sure about the distance. And there will only be a 1 row-seating fyi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
benq ht1075 , screen , theater room