help please with theater build atmos or not more - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-05-2015, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 11
help please with theater build atmos or not more

Need some help all. posted in two threads as not sure which was the best for help.. anyways. Theater is underway and drywall going in. Soffit coffered ceiling in. here is the issue. room for dimensions for theater are 20 by 28. this includes the stair case. otherwise 20 by 25 not including stair case into the basement. specs are screen size is 135 to 155" . Yamaha rx-a2040 update firm ware to Dolby Atmos, projector sony 4k projector. speakers are B and W. ccm 663 for ceiling and cwm663 for wall. I had it set up per the recommendations of Yamaha.. left and right and center channel. and in addition front and rear presence speakers. front presence on the wall. back presence in the ceiling. in other words.. a 7.1 system with additional front and back presence. looking further at dolby atmos. I think it makes for sense to do a dolby atmos layout. so the first question is 1. choose dolby atmos layout over the Yamaha suggested front and rear presence additional speakers. 2. question. my back wall is not a single wall to say because of stair case. so I am looking for suggestions .. do I want to 1. put the speakers in the back wall over the ceiling for rear surround sound? 2. if the walls are an option in back do I put them both right and left and the very back wall or can ..do I put one on the stair wall and the other on the back wall .. I know it sounds confusing but here are some pics. drawing is a little messy .. help is greatly appreciated.. forgot to add... or does it make sense to simply do the back surrounds in the ceiling instead of wall.. but then the sound is coming from above?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater front screen wall Dec 2015.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1099410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater Right Side dec 2015.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1099418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater Left Side Dec 2015.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1099426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater Stair case walls possible speaker placement dec 2015.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1099434   Click image for larger version

Name:	theater speaker placement atmos.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1099442  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-06-2015, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

anyone... cutting walls this morning .. more fun. thank you
post #3 of 9 Old 12-06-2015, 02:52 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2719 Post(s)
Liked: 2295
Yamaha makes receivers
Dobly developed the concept and makes the gear that movie studios use to mix and publish 5.1. 7.1 and Atmos sound track based movies. Who are you going to listen to for advice on setting up your speakers?
post #4 of 9 Old 12-06-2015, 03:00 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

So I'm looking at this picture, in the context of your efftort to build a room that looks like a dedicated theater with a coffered ceiling and columns on the wall.

In my opinion you made a strategic error in not just building a wall that would be the rear wall of the theater and closing in the stairwell

Benefits

1)better sound isolation keeping sound from going up the stairs
2) Superior audio with proper placement of rear surround,
post #5 of 9 Old 12-06-2015, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

actually it was a calculated known wife error if you get what I mean.. I was overruled on that request to close it up.. that and the side left wall to the rest of the basement.. then again.. it still rocks pretty nicely so far.. but yes message received.. these are the cards I now have in my hand.. any help appreciated..
post #6 of 9 Old 12-06-2015, 05:13 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

got it, another theater designed by committee.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-06-2015, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

to funny... putting the Rear surround sounds in the black box option in the photos. so basically hoping the rx-a2040 will compensate during set up for the distance differential of 30 inches. posted some other issue on confusion on placement of surround side speakers.. Yamaha says when doing the four ceiling atmos speakers to place the side surrounds behind the back ceiling speakers. Dolby says no they stay in middle.. snip pics below explain it a little better than I do.

what have you all done?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolby suggested atmos layout.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1102914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha manual install atmos.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1102922  
post #8 of 9 Old 12-06-2015, 06:16 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Dobly developed Atmos and I've seen that chart in their dealer and installer training materials, does Yamaha know better? or just the limitations of their receivers. Dolby also recommends that the fronts, sides and rears be basically at ear level, higher on the sides and rears if necessary to clear seat backs and adjacent bodies. Both of those diagrams are for a single row of seating.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 12-06-2015 at 06:22 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-06-2015, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

ok so if the future plan was to put in a second row would you suggest the higher position for the rear surround i.e red boxes on back wall nothwithstanding the stair spindles in front.. 6 one way 1/2 a dozen another. thankyou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page