1st dedicated HT/lobby/lounge build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 1 Old 01-10-2016, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
1st dedicated HT/lobby/lounge build

I am getting ready to demo some unused space in my house to dedicate to home theater and lounge/"rec room" type space. The space I have to work with altogether is 22'x36'x10', finished but with no interior load bearing walls, finished MIL suite above it, master is about 25' down the hall from lounge entry. I have planned to do a roughly 20'22' lounge/billiards/lobby area as you leave the main house and then the "back" room would be a 16'x22' theater you enter from the side.

Here is what I have so far and what my plans are, any input or ideas are appreciated. I have it all drawn out to scale on graph paper so I could scan it and upload it I suppose.

16'x22' theater, two rows of 4 with riser and stage, double loveseats or HT recliners. Wife has nixed true theater seats. Three of the theater walls are currently outside walls but two will become garage walls when I build new garage this summer.

Here is what I have so far for equipment:

Onkyo NR717
Xbox one
Apple TV
will likely order Oppo too, currently have an old but nice Denon
Paradigm Monitor 7's fronts
Paradigm Minis Monitors for rear
CC370 for center
PDR12 for sub (will replace with HSU this year probably)
Paradigm ADP's's 370 surrounds
probably 135" fixed, non AT screen but open to suggestions

I guess some of my questions are technical and some aesthetic.

do I need a rack? Can I just build a shelf system in a closet?
Is there a point to my doing insulation, GG and DD for ceiling and the one wall facing rest of home if I am leaving other 3 alone? Is it even worth tearing down the existing ceiling to do?
Can I use the solid wood doors or do I need to buy an exterior door?
How many circuits do I need to dedicate to this?
I also have a truckload of "stuff" I bought from a guy on CL super cheap (components/wiring/cables/lowvoltage stuff/IR repeaters and stuff/in wall subs and speakers) but I think it is mostly outdated and the inwall stuff, while decent, is not the way I want to go. I will post a list of that stuff too to see if any of it is worth using.

EDIT: and soffits, do I need them? There is one on one of the 16' walls for an HVAC chase upstairs but otherwise not.

and I guess first off is any of what I said a major faux pas or or red flag for design or build so far?

Thanks in advance for any input good or bad.

Last edited by gjk5dave; 01-10-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page