Please help a newb with a projector and screen size! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2016, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Please help a newb with a projector and screen size!

I want to put a projector in my basement. The basement is relatively low on ambient light but would like one that is good in a little bit of light too. I would like to put the projector at the back of the room on the ceiling which is 19' away.
I am looking for a 1080p with 120hz projector in the price range of $1500-$2900. I also need help with what screen size I will need. My wall is about 75 inches high and 115 inches wide.

will be using it for sports so models with the least motion blur and best gray uniformity would help. I am currently looking at Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5030UB. If anyone could help with what screen size I would need for that from 19 feet I would be grateful.

The main viewing distance will be about 10 feet.

I would really appreciate any recommendation on a projector and screen size. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2016, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 97
The Epson is a solid choice. Here is my suggestion. Before you determine what screen size you want to go with experiment with different sizes to see which one suits your needs. The Epson can go down to 91" and zoom out to 196" according to the calculator on projector central so you will have a wide range of screen sizes available to you.

I sit 10 feet from a 115" diagonal screen and could go bigger without issue. You can get the PJ of your choice project on the wall and determine from that what size screen you want to go with. Of course this is the "no so scientific" way to do this. If you want to get super technical, then there are several websites THX for example that will give you all kinds of angles and seating distances to meet their specs.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
The Epson is a solid choice. Here is my suggestion. Before you determine what screen size you want to go with experiment with different sizes to see which one suits your needs. The Epson can go down to 91" and zoom out to 196" according to the calculator on projector central so you will have a wide range of screen sizes available to you.

I sit 10 feet from a 115" diagonal screen and could go bigger without issue. You can get the PJ of your choice project on the wall and determine from that what size screen you want to go with. Of course this is the "no so scientific" way to do this. If you want to get super technical, then there are several websites THX for example that will give you all kinds of angles and seating distances to meet their specs.

Regards,

RTROSE
You are the man. Thank you so much. I posted this on like 6 different forums and couldn't get a response. So thanks for your help! I think im gonna go with the epson and try your method.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 97
You are welcome happy I could help. That is what these forums are all about, helping one another.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First decide the maximum width screen you can get, allowing for speakers, etc. For sports, you probably want 16:9 ratio screen. Most source here suggest that optimal seating is 2.4 to 3 times the screen height. For 10 feet (120 inches), you want screen height to be at minimum 40 inches (which is 3x, which is a 40x71 screen) or at max 50 (2.4x which would be 50x89"). However many people don't seem to mind sitting closer, especially with 4K on the horizon.

I hope that helps.
Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
In that price range also look at the Sony HW40, I'm struggling with same decision. I also had same problem figuring screen size, finally I stiched two white bed sheets together and hung it on the wall in different dimensions to help me decide. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement