AVS Forum banner

General question

405 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  cdy2179 
#1 ·
I'm a beginner and very curious about dedicated home theaters. I look for some article that covers the basics and fundamentals of such builds and the building process.
I have no pretension to be some master builder, just to have better understanding of the many aspects people talk about here.
Can someone direct me please to some article or knowledge base? Thanks!

#2 ·
Pretty sure the absolute best knowledge base, is just reading these forums.

A pretty good case could be made for having some pretension to be a master builder. Once you know the upsides to a
high end room, and why things are done that way, then you can then apply that knowledge, to even a budget room, and
unlock more performance, from any given gear.

You could build a really solid knowledge base quickly, by simply reading the builds threads at the bottom of BigmouthinDC's
postings.

I recommend you start a file folder on your computer and save pictures of theaters that you like. And be selective and
break a theater down into individual ideas.

#7 ·
It's kinda like asking someone to show you how to "fix a car."

Are you talking body work? Carburetors? Superchargers? Brake pads? Exhaust?

Meaning, it's a very broad "question" you have. If you even say you have an interest in the sound aspect, or bass traps, or something to narrow it down for the group.

But yes, it's kinda something you just have to dig into :)

#5 ·
There's a Home Theater e-book that was written a while back. I think it's like $50. I know there were problems with delivery (ie paying for it but not received a code or something). I think it all got worked out.

I think that's probably the best solution for an all-in-one-place starter guide. It pales in comparison to the wealth of knowledge here, but probably easier to digest.

Tim

#6 ·
first what is your budget and how sophiscated do u want to get?. ie u can have a basic room with speakers and equipment and it'll still be a dedicated theater or u can go all out with sound isolation, room treatments, lighting schemes, front platforms, rear platforms, something u can show off to family and friends, etc. it can cost from 5000 to 100000 or more.

#10 ·
The best help for a newbie IMO... the room dictates how good the system will sound. You can DIY panels cheap... ATS acoustics sells the material..as does any HVAC supply house as it's ductboard. Although if the speakers have great off axis response diffusion should be thrown into the mix. Basically If you don't treat the rooms early reflections you'll be stuck with mediocre sound no matter how high end the gear is.

You will not see a high end room here where room acoustics weren't the number 1 priority.

http://realtraps.com/rfz.htm

This ^^ site has easy to understand info on the subject.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.