Sound isolation question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-19-2016, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sound isolation question

I need some advice on sound isolation. In the attached picture, I have a theater room on the right and a rec room on the left that share a common wall. I'm planning to build a small bar/kitchenette in the corner of the rec room next to the theater. You can also see the equipment closet for the theater in the middle of the shared wall. Sound isolation for the theater will be clips + hat channel + two layers 5/8" drywall with green glue.

Is it a mistake to put outlets in the shared wall for the bar? Should I drywall up the bar side of the wall and build another 2x4 wall on the bar side for the outlets, plumbing, etc.? Is that overkill? Could I mount the outlets in the cabinets somehow? Would that be against code?

If building another wall for the bar is the way to go, should it be isolated from the equipment room walls so that the walls don't touch? The equipment room is specified with 2 layers 3/4" MDF with green glue.

I did not think much about the bar construction until now and I want to make sure I don't hurt my sound isolation efforts in the theater.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bar.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1265881  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-19-2016, 08:35 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked: 2743
do not build another wall in front of a wall with drywall on both sides, that would be a triple leaf and actually is worse.

You can put outlets but aggressively treat them just like you would the outlets in the theater, Putty pads etc. Keep them out of stud bays that have outlets on the theater side.

If possible use surface mounted outlets on the theater side or put them in columns etc.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 02-20-2016 at 05:56 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-20-2016, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Big. The wall outlets in the theater will be in columns.

post #4 of 4 Old 05-16-2016, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

To avoid the triple leaf effect how far away from wall 1 does wall 2 need to be? For now the plan is just to have one door but if it doesn't do the job, I could frame over from the equipment closet and build a 2nd door with a gap between them of a little over 2 ft. I assume that's enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page