Star Light Cinema Build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ron_C

post #1 of 26 Old 04-04-2016, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Star Light Cinema Build

Finally! Long time lurker. I joined this forum back in 2002 when my interest in this hobby began. I was just a college grad back then and had two real hobbies...home theater and developing software. Back in the day, I developed software for use with Meedio...some of you might remember Gotcha Covered and preMovie Manager. That hobby helped me fund my first HT I built back in 2003. I sold that house in 2005 and have been home theater less ever since.....until now.

We just recently built a new house(4 years ago) on 18 acres of land in Madison county Iowa. While building the house, my main goal was to ensure I had a decent space in the basement for a future HT. And although I wish I would have done 10' basement walls, I am really excited with the blank canvas I have to work with. My wife and two kids(4 & 5) are equally excited about having our own HT, so getting acceptance from the wife has been easy(first road block avoided...)

So, why the name Start Light Cinema? Well, couldn't think of anything better and I am planning to do a fiber optic star ceiling....so seemed like it fit.

The location where the HT will be going will be total light controlled, and I will be doing all I can to isolate the room. Attached is a very rough visio of the basement layout and a picture looking into the future HT space. The HT design is currently being done through the Erskine Group. We haven't settled on a finalized look, but my wife really likes the look of the Cinemar theater....I would expect ours to be similar. I plan on doing most of the work myself except for drywall and carpet. We will see... I may decide to hire more out as we go.

HT Specs:
Dimensions:
After walls and before drywall & sound proofing : 26' 9" x 16' 8" x 9'.

Gear:
Front Speakers : DIY Elusive 1099's
Everything else TBD

Ceiling:
Coffered with fiber optic stars

Lighting :
Insteon

I plan to document the build as best I can. I am finishing the rest of the basement along with the HT, so this will be a LONG road, but I hope to make steady progress. I will update this post as progress is made and more details are known.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BasementLayout.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1357938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0325.jpg
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	1357970  

Last edited by Ron_C; 04-04-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-04-2016, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Reserved
post #3 of 26 Old 04-04-2016, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Reserved for future updates
post #4 of 26 Old 04-04-2016, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Since I don't have a lot of progress to show on the theater, I thought I would show a project I recently completed. Last year, we decided to finish the bedroom and bathroom in the basement before the rest of it. I did all the work myself and to be honest, I am not sure I would do a bathroom with this much tile work again. The arches were a nightmare which required each to be traced and freehand cut with an angle grinder. It took a couple months to get all the tile work finished, but I am really happy with how it turned out.

So here is the progress for the day..

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bath1.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1357994   Click image for larger version

Name:	bath2.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1358002   Click image for larger version

Name:	bath3.jpg
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1358010   Click image for larger version

Name:	bath4.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1358018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath6.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1358026  

Last edited by Ron_C; 04-04-2016 at 08:46 AM.
post #5 of 26 Old 04-04-2016, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

So my first question. What should I do with this plumbing? I am tempted to just move wall out in front of this stack for ease of framing. I would loose around 4" of width though? Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	basementplubming2.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1358090  

Last edited by Ron_C; 04-04-2016 at 08:36 AM.
post #6 of 26 Old 04-04-2016, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Also, I am looking to purchase a nice camera to document this build with. Anyone one have any recommendations?
post #7 of 26 Old 04-04-2016, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi Ron.

Love the tile work. I'm sure BIG will give you some good pointers. One of his earlier tricks was to hide a post inside a speaker column, maybe this could work for the plumbing?
post #8 of 26 Old 04-04-2016, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_C View Post
Also, I am looking to purchase a nice camera to document this build with. Anyone one have any recommendations?
Hi Ron, Depends on your budget, but if looking for a great point and shoot, the Sony RX-100 Mark 3 or 4 are amazing and packed with features, the 4 will also shoot 4k video.
post #9 of 26 Old 04-04-2016, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtepa View Post
Hi Ron, Depends on your budget, but if looking for a great point and shoot, the Sony RX-100 Mark 3 or 4 are amazing and packed with features, the 4 will also shoot 4k video.
I am thinking maybe a SLR. Around $800 would be my max budget. Looks like maybe the Cannon T5i or Nikkon D3300? Anyone have any experience with either of these? Costco have both of these in a bundle with two lenses.

Also, got my order from the sound proofing company today. Got a bunch of IB1 & 3 clips, 3 pales of GG, box of GG tubes, some acoustical sealant and door seals. Time to do some framing!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	soundproofing.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	1359274  
post #10 of 26 Old 04-04-2016, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 531
With that level of craftsmanship I think this will turn out to be a great theater !! I like reading these threads as it makes me dream one day ...
post #11 of 26 Old 04-04-2016, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Gorgeous tile work! You don't see shower head applications like that in new construction in California anymore...damn water crisis. Love the bathtub surround, too. I eagerly await the progression of your build.

As for the pvc jutting out, I like the aforementioned idea of building the plumbing into a speaker column, however that might lead to an awful lot of additional planning; building matching columns, then a soffit to mask the horizontal stretch of pvc, which then has to run along the perimeter of the ceiling... so from the get-go, it appears to be easier to build the wall out.
post #12 of 26 Old 04-05-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I am thinking maybe a SLR. Around $800 would be my max budget. Looks like maybe the Cannon T5i or Nikkon D3300? Anyone have any experience with either of these? Costco have both of these in a bundle with two lenses.
t5i is not bad. The lenses that come bundled with those are usually junk but you can find some good lenses for not too much money for those. Just remember that these 2 cameras are crop sensor cameras so any lens you put on it will be magnified by 1.6x so a 50mm lens is going to be more around 75-80mm.

A good lens for crop sensor cameras for architecture type is the 10-22mm but it's not cheap and will also not work on full frame cameras if you decide to upgrade in the future.

Don't necessarily dismiss the sony, sure it's not a DSLR but the optics, sensor, and other features are far superior to the t5i. I own a A7R II (about $3300 for the body alone) and use the rx100-iv when traveling or documenting stuff. It's more convenient and less of a bulk to carry around, and still gives me a very good range with the 24-70 lens on it. You're not going to be shooting wildlife birds at 300 yards but thats not what it's intended for. If the IV is too pricey the III is also very very good. the only difference from the 2 is mainly the 4k video shooting capability and slo-mo videos on the IV.

here's a comparison spec vs spec http://www.imaging-resource.com/came...sony/rx100-iv/

Last edited by Achtepa; 04-05-2016 at 08:25 AM.
post #13 of 26 Old 04-05-2016, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
t5i is not bad. The lenses that come bundled with those are usually junk but you can find some good lenses for not too much money for those. Just remember that these 2 cameras are crop sensor cameras so any lens you put on it will be magnified by 1.6x so a 50mm lens is going to be more around 75-80mm.

A good lens for crop sensor cameras for architecture type is the 10-22mm but it's not cheap and will also not work on full frame cameras if you decide to upgrade in the future.

Don't necessarily dismiss the sony, sure it's not a DSLR but the optics, sensor, and other features are far superior to the t5i. I own a A7R II (about $3300 for the body alone) and use the rx100-iv when traveling or documenting stuff. It's more convenient and less of a bulk to carry around, and still gives me a very good range with the 24-70 lens on it. You're not going to be shooting wildlife birds at 300 yards but thats not what it's intended for. If the IV is too pricey the III is also very very good. the only difference from the 2 is mainly the 4k video shooting capability and slo-mo videos on the IV.

here's a comparison spec vs spec http://www.imaging-resource.com/came...sony/rx100-iv/
Thanks for the follow up. After doing some further research, I think the sony might be a good fit for me. I am just looking through all the different models. How big of a difference is there between the II level model and the III?

Thanks!
Ron

Last edited by Ron_C; 04-05-2016 at 09:12 AM.
post #14 of 26 Old 04-05-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the follow us. After doing some further research, I think the sony might be a good fit for me. I am just looking through all the different models. How big of a difference is there between the II level model and the III?

Thanks!
Ron
There's quite a big difference, the electronic viewfinder is amazing, essentially when you are looking in the viewfinder, instead of seeing what the lens sees, you're seeing what the sensor sees, essentially what that means is that what you see is what you get, if it looks good in the viewfinder, when you press the button, it'll look the same.

The II doesn't have any viewfinder, so you have to use the back screen display. The III also features a 2.8 lens compared to the f4 lens on the II. This means 1 more stop faster which translates to needing less light to be able to get a correctly exposed shot. the video is also much better on it and also the III has a built in ND filter, which you can use for say if there is too much light for the exposure you are trying to get. let say you are trying to shoot a portrait outside in the sun at 2.8 which makes the background soft and blurry, for the most part, in mid-day, this is impossible without an ND filter. because the lens is wide open and lets in an enormous amount of light in. Thats when ND filter kicks in, it just blocks light while leaving the lens wide open.

Anyways, I could go on for days about different types of shots but the III was a major turning point for the RX-100.

Hope this helps.
post #15 of 26 Old 04-05-2016, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
ordered these same sconces for my theater last night
post #16 of 26 Old 04-05-2016, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So my first question. What should I do with this plumbing? I am tempted to just move wall out in front of this stack for ease of framing. I would loose around 4" of width though? Thoughts?
just my opinion but 16' wide seems like an embarassment of riches compared to my theater.
post #17 of 26 Old 04-05-2016, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 223

You could build the framing right around the piping, I had to do that in a little smaller spot then you

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
JVC RS600/180"(195.4" Diagonal) Wide curved Seymour 2.37:1 XD/Marantz 8802A/Outlaw Amps 7900 & 5000, 7.2.4 all PSA set up 3 MTM210's / 8 MT110SR's / Dual t-18's
post #18 of 26 Old 04-06-2016, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There's quite a big difference, the electronic viewfinder is amazing, essentially when you are looking in the viewfinder, instead of seeing what the lens sees, you're seeing what the sensor sees, essentially what that means is that what you see is what you get, if it looks good in the viewfinder, when you press the button, it'll look the same.

The II doesn't have any viewfinder, so you have to use the back screen display. The III also features a 2.8 lens compared to the f4 lens on the II. This means 1 more stop faster which translates to needing less light to be able to get a correctly exposed shot. the video is also much better on it and also the III has a built in ND filter, which you can use for say if there is too much light for the exposure you are trying to get. let say you are trying to shoot a portrait outside in the sun at 2.8 which makes the background soft and blurry, for the most part, in mid-day, this is impossible without an ND filter. because the lens is wide open and lets in an enormous amount of light in. Thats when ND filter kicks in, it just blocks light while leaving the lens wide open.

Anyways, I could go on for days about different types of shots but the III was a major turning point for the RX-100.

Hope this helps.
Achtepa, congratulations on spending my money! I now have a Sony Rx100 IV arriving from Amazon on Friday. Can't wait!
post #19 of 26 Old 04-06-2016, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
just my opinion but 16' wide seems like an embarassment of riches compared to my theater.
JRock, you are right... I am thankful that I have the width I do have...but really, is it ever enough?
SteveFred likes this.
post #20 of 26 Old 04-06-2016, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFred View Post

You could build the framing right around the piping, I had to do that in a little smaller spot then you
SteveFred, thanks for the photo.

I did some additional measuring last night and if I frame the wall in front of the plumbing stack, my width will still be 16'4" after framing. I am leaning towards going this route as I will only lose 4" and it will save me time down the road trying to build around it and maintain my isolated, sealed envelope.

My goal would be to get at least one row of 4 theater recliners(love seat in the middle config) in the theater. Anyone have a similar width room who can comment on the fit of 4 theater recliners?
post #21 of 26 Old 04-06-2016, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
JRock, you are right... I am thankful that I have the width I do have...but really, is it ever enough?
well at a certain point you run into acoustical problems with too wide of a room but I agree more is usually better
post #22 of 26 Old 04-06-2016, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
SteveFred, thanks for the photo.

I did some additional measuring last night and if I frame the wall in front of the plumbing stack, my width will still be 16'4" after framing. I am leaning towards going this route as I will only lose 4" and it will save me time down the road trying to build around it and maintain my isolated, sealed envelope.

My goal would be to get at least one row of 4 theater recliners(love seat in the middle config) in the theater. Anyone have a similar width room who can comment on the fit of 4 theater recliners?

Agreed! It would make it easier for construction and isolation with mine, you can see I could not go in any with 11ft ceilings(2ft drop from the rest of my 9ft basement)

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
JVC RS600/180"(195.4" Diagonal) Wide curved Seymour 2.37:1 XD/Marantz 8802A/Outlaw Amps 7900 & 5000, 7.2.4 all PSA set up 3 MTM210's / 8 MT110SR's / Dual t-18's
post #23 of 26 Old 04-06-2016, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFred View Post
Agreed! It would make it easier for construction and isolation with mine, you can see I could not go in any with 11ft ceilings(2ft drop from the rest of my 9ft basement)
Wish I had your 11ft ceilings! My 9ft is ok, but 11ft gives you many more options.
post #24 of 26 Old 04-06-2016, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

9ft works also I had the opportunity to get 2 more feet so I took it(had 7'10" in my last theater). It does make for more options, but also has a few tricky things to over come. Trying to cover the 2ft cement wall on the riser in the back was fun lol and then ill have to glue 2x6's along the bottom in that pic to attach the drywall/floor trim to. (not that I am complaining at all haha)

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
post #25 of 26 Old 04-06-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Achtepa, congratulations on spending my money! I now have a Sony Rx100 IV arriving from Amazon on Friday. Can't wait!
Congrats, you'll love it! Let me know if you need help or anything with it. Oh while i'm at it, go ahead and download the PlayMemories app on your phone, it lets you control your camera through your phone, includes live view etc... also lets you transfer pics from your camera to your phone directly.
post #26 of 26 Old 06-21-2016, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Progress has been a bit slow, but I have the theater and the rest of the basement walls up. A couple back injuries has slowed me down. I was installing can lights in the family room this weekend and reinjured it again. Luckily I have a good Chiro!

I am now getting ready to install conduit and all the wiring. I am waiting for my plan to be completed by Erskine Group, but in the mean time, does anyone know of a good wiring checklist? Like what wires I should run to each column, project, behind screen, face of riser? I have a good idea of what I want to do, but want to make sure I am not missing anything!

Also, I am planning on using an inline fan(Like This One) to exchange the air in the theater with the rest of the basement. With a room 16'x27'x9', that fan shows it would exchange the air in the room every 10-12 minutes. Is this adequate or do I need to look at exchanging more CFM?

Thanks!
Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page