Celotex soundstop? Value? versus sheathing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-19-2003, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 580
I've been thinking about putting a layer of the 1/2 inch Celotex Soundstop board under the drywall in the walls and ceiling of a multi purpose basement entertainment room. My goal is to minimize out bound sound. I may double up on the drywall with the second layer on resilient channel if necessary. Anyone have experience with this Soundstop stuff? It sells for about $7 a 4x8 sheet in my neck of the woods.

Also I notice that Celotex sell a 5/8 inch exterior sheathing that for the life of me I can't tell what is the difference other than thickness. I asked someone about using the sheathing instead of the Soundboard and was told oh no that's for exterior use. Both materials are marked with a warning that the materal will burn and smolder. Anyone know if there is a signficant difference? Does the sheathing out-gas something I don't want in my walls? The reason I ask is that the sheathing is always available whereas the soundstop inventory is hit or miss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-20-2003, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm using it in my theater. 1/2 inch of Temple fiber board sheathing under 1/2 inch drywall. It's the same thing as the Celotex stuff, only the Temple stuff is about $6. The difference in the Temple SoundChoice and exterior sheathing is that the exterior sheathing is coated in an asphalt material. The Temple rep I talked to said it worked better than the regular soundboard stuff. Plus, I can get the sheathing almost everywhere and everyone quit carrying the SoundChoice 18 months ago. Does it work? I dunno, we're still installing it in the theater right now. A builder friend said he uses it now and then and it works great. Is it messy? Definitely! It's hard to cut because it is made of fibers and the fibers get everywhere and float in the air for a little while. The saw works alright because we got a different blade made for this stuff, but using a dremel to cut the boxes is a pain. BTW, using a router for cutting boxes in the drywall is a breeze.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My HT Website in progress.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-21-2003, 06:57 AM

Liked: 10
I've just installed it in my ceiling and back wall as well as lined my equipment room with it. I too can't tell you if it works, but from what I've read, it seems to be a great option and very cheap. I paid 6.50 per sheet from 84 lumber. I'm using it on the two surfaces that meet up with other rooms in hops this will reduce the outbound noise Here is a link to a "sound proofing" thread that has some great info in it. I've posted on the last pages about what I've done with the sound board, resilient channel and an asphalt based roofing material. My initial tests without the drywall up have been extremely positive so far. Good luck.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=2
post #4 of 6 Old 03-21-2003, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I already posted above but didn't say where I am using it. I'm lining the whole theater with the stuff even though I am over the garage and the neighbors are 100 yards away. Walls, ceiling, and sandwiched between OSB and plywood for the floor. I'm not using resilient channels but might later if I didn't get enough isolation. But, this should keep the sound out of the rest of the house.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My HT Website in progress.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-22-2003, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Thanks for the feed back, It looks like I'll be using it on a number of surfaces. Good thing I used the adjustable depth electrical boxes. Now I just "dial-a-depth"
post #6 of 6 Old 03-24-2003, 05:26 AM

Liked: 10
Bigmouth, those boxes are the only way to go when doing the multi-layer approach. They make life soooo much easier. Good luck with your install!!
Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page