Tower Cinema (budget 9.1.6 in 12x12 room) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 163Likes

post #1 of 239 Old 06-04-2016, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Tower Cinema (budget 9.1.6 in 12x12 room)

This is my new project that will keep me busy for quite a while.

I plan to build a dedicated 9.1.6 HT in our 12'x12'x8.2' tower room on the 2nd floor. Up until now it has been used as a temporary 7.1 setup with no sounds treatment nor cable management.

Marantz SR-7010 for the processing of the 9.1.x bed channels.
Marantz SR-6010 for processing the top x.x.4 and 2 x NAD T743 using PLII Movie to matrix them to 6 height channels.
Center: Monitor Audio GSLCR
Fronts: Monitor Audio GS20
Front Wides: Monitor Audio GS10
Side Surrounds: Monitor Audio GSFX
Rear Surrounds: Monitor Audio GSFX
Top Front Heights: Monitor Audio BX1
Top Middle Heights: Monitor Audio BX1
Top Rear Heights: Monitor Audio BX1
Subwoofer: SVS PB-13 Ultra

The 60" Pioneer Kuro will remain until I can get a 65" OLED.

The ceiling will be the main area in the room where sound treatment can be applied. The idea is to build a 12" tall and 25" wide soffit along the front and sides. The four corners up to window height will get some superchunk corner traps.

Here is the front of the room, the TV is in the right location.

Here is the rear wall, you can see the speaker mounts with spacers still there. When we had work done on the heating system we had the raditor raised so a raiser can be fitted.

Here is the right hand side wall seen from the sofa, thankfully the windows are not in the way for the side/rear speakers that are locted as per pre-Atmos Dolby spec. They will probably stay as they are as currently are in a 7 degree angle up from the front speakers. The subwoofer is taking up a considerable amount of floor space.

And finally the staircase where all material has to be able to come through.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	5499
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1478361   Click image for larger version

Name:	right.jpg
Views:	5274
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1478369   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	5451
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1478377   Click image for larger version

Name:	staircase.jpg
Views:	5275
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1478385  

Last edited by Mashie Saldana; 12-26-2016 at 06:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 239 Old 09-16-2016, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

This is the plan for the speaker layout:

Fronts 25 degrees
Front Wides 50 degrees
Side Surrounds 100 degrees
Rear Surrounds 144 degrees (to put them in line with the Fronts).
Top Front 45 degrees elevation
Top Middle 80 degrees elevation
Top Rear 125 degrees elevation

Due to the placement of the room entrance the left Front Wide will need a hinged wall mount so it can be moved out of the way when not used. Also the Rear Surrounds are likely to get a hinged mounting as well so they can be angled as required when only two people are using the HT and put flat against the wall if there are visitors.

Top view, the two circles in the middle are where the heads will be once in the sofa. The subwoofer will hopefully work out in that nearfield location. The extra two seats will be on each side of it, eventually on small risiers.

Side view. The almost horisontal line is showing where the bed layer will be located vertically.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Top01.png
Views:	5574
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	1663969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side01.png
Views:	5757
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	1663985  

My HT build: Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room

Marantz | NAD | Monitor Audio | SVS | Pioneer
post #3 of 239 Old 09-16-2016, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 834
not thought of going down the projector route mate ?

post #4 of 239 Old 09-16-2016, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The limited contrast on projectors has never rocked my boat. I guess that is fixed with 4K HDR projectors but they will not be affordable in a very long time.
I will head down the OLED route instead once this 60" Kuro is done serving me, the image provided by the LG OLED65E6V is all I can dream of and with the viewing distance of just 7' it will cover most of the field of view anyways.

post #5 of 239 Old 09-22-2016, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

This is how the 9.1.6 setup will be done:

To make the above work there are a few things to configure.

Speaker setup

SR7010
  • Use amp assign and speaker setup to configure 9.1.2 where the heigh speakers will use the pre-outs.
  • Set the height speaker to the Top Middle position.
  • Set the crossover for the heigh speakers to the same as the SR6010.

SR6010
  • Use amp assign and speaker setup to configure 5.1.4 where either of the heights will use pre-outs.
  • Set the height speakers to Top Front and Top Rear.

Sources

• SR7010 configure the sources as per normal and disable all that aren't used: HDMI1 Nvidia Shield and HDMI2 BD/UHD player. Set all sources to enable the +12V trigger.
  • SR6010 configure only one source, HDMI1 and disable all other sources. Set this source to enable the +12V trigger.

Zone 2 mirroring on SR7010

By default Zone 2 on the SR7010 will have a life of it's own and not tracking what the Main Zone is set to. To fix this we need to use the Marantz App.
  • Connect to the device
  • Click on Main Zone at the top.
  • On the Zone Select scren click on "View Zone 2"
  • In the drop down list for the various sources click the one that simply is named "SOURCE".
  • Exit out and you won't have to touch this ever again unless you fiddle with Zone 2 on the remote.

System Calibration

First is to configure the PLII AVR's:
  • Connect the speakers to each PLII AVR, connect L to TF speaker, C to TM speaker and R to TR speaker.
  • Set the surround mode to ProLogic II Movie.
  • Measure the distance from MLP to all three height speakers.
  • Set the distance to C to 0.
  • Set the distance to L to L minus C.
  • Set the distance to R to R minus C.
  • Connect both L and R in on the PLII AVR to height 1 on the SR6010 using Y-splitters.
  • Play a test tone on the SR6010 and measure the output using a SPL meter in MLP. Adjust the both AVR volumes until 80dB is seen on the SPL meter.
  • Remove the Y splitter.
  • Connect only L to height 1. Play the test tone again, adjust the L speaker level on the PLII AVR unlit the SPL meter is showing 80dB.
  • Connect only R to height 1. Play the test tone again, adjust the L speaker level on the PLII AVR unlit the SPL meter is showing 80dB.
  • Repeat the steps above with the second PLII AVR.

The speaker settings for the PLII AVR's are done.

Next is to configure the SR7010:
  • Connect the 9 base layer speakers and subwoofer to the SR7010.
  • Use the Y-splitters and connect both the PLII AVRs to the height 1 outputs. This should make it a basic 9.1.2 with TM speakers.
  • Run a few test tones and adjust the main volume on the PLII AVRs until they are similar to the rest of the speakers.
  • Run Audyssey calibration on the SR7010. Write down the speaker levels, distances and crossover frequencies detected for the TM, L/C/R and Surround speakers.
  • Connect the SR6010 to the SR7010 using HDMI.
  • Move the R speaker to the SR6010 and connect the PLII AVRs to height 1 and height 2 without Y splitters.
  • Set all the speaker settings on the SR6010 as per the notes from the SR7010.
  • Connect a PC running REW to the SR7010. Now we are going to measure any latency difference between the two units so we will compare L and R impulses using C as reference following this guide.
  • With the timing difference known between the two SR's we can adjust the delays accordingly on the SR6010.
  • Last step is to use the 9.1.6 test tones from the Dolby website and once again use a SPL meter in MLP to confirm all levels are the same, if not trim the speaker levels as required.

With everything configured connect the +12v trigger inputs on PLII AVR's to the SR's and set them to auto.

Single Remote (This is best to do as the very last step after all the speaker calibration has been completed.)

In addition to the settings above, to make source select and volumes fully synchronized we need to have a single IR receiver accept commands from the remote. To do this we need to connect Control Out from the SR7010 to Control In on the SR6010 and disable the IR receiver on the SR6010:

With the unit in standby, on the front panel press and hold M-DAX and DIMMER while clicking Power On.
Use TUNER PRESET CH + or TUNER PRESET CH - to select “RC LOCK On".
Press STATUS to enter the setting.

To undo this just repeat but select "RC LOCK Off".

Last edited by Mashie Saldana; 04-26-2017 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Updated SR6010 source settings
post #6 of 239 Old 10-11-2016, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok after a bit more thinking the speaker placement will be tweaked a bit:

Fronts 30 degrees
Front Wides 60 degrees
Side Surrounds 100 degrees
Rear Surrounds 142.5 degrees
Top Front 45 degrees elevation
Top Middle 80 degrees elevation
Top Rear 125 degrees elevation

This is tying in nicely with the Dolby Atmos 9.1.6 setup guide.

This will make the left Front Wide end up at a much better location with regards to the entrance although it will still need to be placed on a hinged speaker stand to swing it out of the way if needed. The rear speakers will also be hinged so they either can point towards MLP or fold flat in case of visitors.

The brown square in the drawing will be the edge of the 12" tall and 24" wide soffit that will act as a base trap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	layout2.png
Views:	5907
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1710417  

Last edited by Mashie Saldana; 12-28-2016 at 07:14 AM.
post #7 of 239 Old 10-13-2016, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 211
So what exactly are these ProLogic devices and how will the AVRs know not to pan/combine sounds with speakers that are missing on each AVR but are connected to the other AVR? Is it just a work around to provide enough channels as best as you can without buying the Trinnov or RS20?
post #8 of 239 Old 10-13-2016, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
So what exactly are these ProLogic devices and how will the AVRs know not to pan/combine sounds with speakers that are missing on each AVR but are connected to the other AVR? Is it just a work around to provide enough channels as best as you can without buying the Trinnov or RS20?
The bottom AVR is set up to do 9.1.2, however only the 9.1.x is connected. But thanks to the x.x.2 being processes, any encoded sound aimed for the height layer is removed from those speakers.

The top AVR is set to 5.1.4 and only the x.x.4 is used. This will contain only the height sounds and nothing of the base layers. This means we have 9.1.4 with no duplicated sound.

By adding a PLII Movie AVR to each side of the heights doing simple L/C/R matrixing of the top front and top rear signals we can break out top middle signals. Whenever the same signal is sent to both top front and top rear only top middle will play it.

The 9.1.6 test tones from the Dolby Atmos Demo Disc will nicely map to each speaker in the setup.

As a result I will end up with 9.1.6 discreet channel processing without paying £18k for the pleasure.

post #9 of 239 Old 10-13-2016, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
The bottom AVR is set up to do 9.1.2, however only the 9.1.x is connected. But thanks to the x.x.2 being processes, any encoded sound aimed for the height layer is removed from those speakers.

The top AVR is set to 5.1.4 and only the x.x.4 is used. This will contain only the height sounds and nothing of the base layers. This means we have 9.1.4 with no duplicated sound.

By adding a PLII Movie AVR to each side of the heights doing simple L/C/R matrixing of the top front and top rear signals we can break out top middle signals. Whenever the same signal is sent to both top front and top rear only top middle will play it.

The 9.1.6 test tones from the Dolby Atmos Demo Disc will nicely map to each speaker in the setup.

As a result I will end up with 9.1.6 discreet channel processing without paying £18k for the pleasure.

Right I understand the actual connections but what about when the ATMOS track calls for blending more than one or two channels for that panning/static object effect where there isn't an exact speaker located. This happens a bunch from my understanding. The AVRs can't actually tell each other where each speaker is located and that there are other AVRs which have those "blending" speakers to call on them to perform the 3D sound process of mixing channels to place certain affects. Is that not how this will work. If that's the case it will do a good job of creating an engulfing soundfield but with some errors that wouldn't be there with one of the more capable systems, correct? Or am I wrong?

I looked into some of the threads that used multiple AVRs before deciding on the Altitude32 because I couldn't figure out a way to have the AVRs communicate with one another as to which and where speakers were located so it all would work "exactly" correct. But if the higher end processors are out of ones budget this would be the way to go until the prices come down or until the restriction are released on all the AVRs/PrePros.

Look forward to reading your impressions!
post #10 of 239 Old 10-14-2016, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right I understand the actual connections but what about when the ATMOS track calls for blending more than one or two channels for that panning/static object effect where there isn't an exact speaker located. This happens a bunch from my understanding. The AVRs can't actually tell each other where each speaker is located and that there are other AVRs which have those "blending" speakers to call on them to perform the 3D sound process of mixing channels to place certain affects. Is that not how this will work. If that's the case it will do a good job of creating an engulfing soundfield but with some errors that wouldn't be there with one of the more capable systems, correct? Or am I wrong?
Both the Atmos AVRs will receive the same Metadata specifying where the object is supposed to be in the room, say we have an object located right between Front Left and Surround Left halfway between the base and height layer.

The base layer AVR running 9.1.2 will render half the sound to the Left Wide and the other half to the Top Middle Left. Now Top Middle Left isn't used.
The top layer AVR running 5.1.4 will render the sound between Front Left, Surround Left and Top Front Left. Front Left and Surround Left isn't used.

With the Atmos object rendering being room centric I don't see why it would cause any major errors if any, although the two AVRs can't talk to each other they will be working from the same coordinates and with the way the speakers are used/unused no sounds should be duplicated.

Quote:
I looked into some of the threads that used multiple AVRs before deciding on the Altitude32 because I couldn't figure out a way to have the AVRs communicate with one another as to which and where speakers were located so it all would work "exactly" correct. But if the higher end processors are out of ones budget this would be the way to go until the prices come down or until the restriction are released on all the AVRs/PrePros.
Having a single box is definitely a lot easier and more scalable as this approach is maxing out at 9.1.6 and will require quite a bit of calibration to get everything right. I don't think there will be anything affordable beyond 7.1.4 for a very long time considering 9.1.2 was killed off in the 2016 model range.

Quote:
Look forward to reading your impressions!
Thanks, me too. I should start working on the room in the next couple of weeks.

post #11 of 239 Old 11-07-2016, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The work has finally started.

The first task was to remove the Artex in the ceiling to have a reasonably even surface to work with.

The slight green shade that can be seen is from a previous mint green paint layer that apparently covered both the ceiling and the walls.

To be able to install the ceiling speakers I needed to install supports to hold the weight as it is simply pasterboard and joists with 48"/1220mm spacing to use. Due to the loft being fully insulated with over a foot of loose cellulose insulation adding supports from above wasn't practical.

As supports it was a case of getting 3/4 plywood added between the joists:

The plywood strips are about a foot wide (300mm).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ceiling06.jpg
Views:	3990
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	1757953   Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling05.jpg
Views:	4011
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	1757961   Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling04.jpg
Views:	4001
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	1757969   Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling03.jpg
Views:	4015
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	1757977   Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling02.jpg
Views:	4016
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1757985  

Name:	ceiling01.jpg
Views:	4017
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	1757993  

post #12 of 239 Old 11-08-2016, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post

Why bother to add these older PLII units, when you can take the output directly from the AVR#2, and actually get object orientated signals, instead of old school channel based input?

The way i think on this is that even with your matrix the single input signal, , the separation is not there. your input determines the separation of signals. so by using a single input into the matrix PLII unit, you still are only getting pseudo Top Front, Top Middle, and Top rear. Not actual object blended signals the way i would understand it.

you have avr#2, with amp outputs that i would think you can assigned the actuall channel for Top Front, Top Middle, and Top rea. Why go through the extra hardware.

I agree, your positioning is the same into the AVR#2 as in AVR#1, but it stops there and lost once you try to "matrix" it though the PlII. That method is not the same.

JAMES JONES
HT1.0 | HT2.0
post #13 of 239 Old 11-09-2016, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
Why bother to add these older PLII units, when you can take the output directly from the AVR#2, and actually get object orientated signals, instead of old school channel based input?

The way i think on this is that even with your matrix the single input signal, , the separation is not there. your input determines the separation of signals. so by using a single input into the matrix PLII unit, you still are only getting pseudo Top Front, Top Middle, and Top rear. Not actual object blended signals the way i would understand it.

you have avr#2, with amp outputs that i would think you can assigned the actuall channel for Top Front, Top Middle, and Top rea. Why go through the extra hardware.

I agree, your positioning is the same into the AVR#2 as in AVR#1, but it stops there and lost once you try to "matrix" it though the PlII. That method is not the same.
The only processors that can drive three pairs of height speakers are Trinnov Altitude32 and Datasat RS20, and out of those only the Altitude32 can do 9.1.6. All the consumer grade kit is limited to two pairs of heights even though an 11 channel processor in theory could do 5.1.6, the manufacturers just never implemented it.

With this AVR setup the 9.1.6 test tones from the Dolby Atmos Demo Disc will all end up in the intended speakers. Will it be 100% perfect, probably not, however it shouldn't be far off.

Last edited by Mashie Saldana; 11-16-2016 at 04:19 AM.
post #14 of 239 Old 11-15-2016, 03:16 PM

Further review of your diagram, and understanding that by having Front Wide Speakers enabled already, you should be able to have Atmos Top Middle speakers out of Amplified label Height 1/2 on the SR7010.

Additionally, Denon and Marantz limit you on having adjacent sets of Atmos speakers in the ceiling, but you have a 2nd AVR, SR6010, that you can assign and hook up Top Front and Top Rear to the Height 1/2 and Front Wide 1/2 amplified labeled connections. This will be true Atmos separation of objects and base channels, but also, this will eliminate the need for the un-necessary PL II devices, yet provide fully object defined Atmos locations. Calibration will still be tricky, however, it's would be a true Atmos, and not a pseudo method as previously described

An added bonus, you would also get additional sub-woofers for a full complimentary 9.4.6 system if you so desired.

JAMES JONES
HT1.0 | HT2.0
post #15 of 239 Old 11-16-2016, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
Further review of your diagram, and understanding that by having Front Wide Speakers enabled already, you should be able to have Atmos Top Middle speakers out of Amplified label Height 1/2 on the SR7010.

Additionally, Denon and Marantz limit you on having adjacent sets of Atmos speakers in the ceiling, but you have a 2nd AVR, SR6010, that you can assign and hook up Top Front and Top Rear to the Height 1/2 and Front Wide 1/2 amplified labeled connections. This will be true Atmos separation of objects and base channels, but also, this will eliminate the need for the un-necessary PL II devices, yet provide fully object defined Atmos locations. Calibration will still be tricky, however, it's would be a true Atmos, and not a pseudo method as previously described

An added bonus, you would also get additional sub-woofers for a full complimentary 9.4.6 system if you so desired.
By having AVR1 set to 9.1.2 all the height sounds are extracted from the base layer. That is the only purpose of the x.x.2 channel.

If I was going to connect the speakers to the AVRs as you suggest, the two height speakers from AVR1 would become catch all speakers for anything height left and height right. This would duplicate any height sound AVR2 is playing on its four height speakers. So in other words, if a sound is placed in height front left, it will be played by TFL by AVR2 and TML by AVR1. If a sound was placed height middle right it would be played by TFR/TRR by AVR2 and TMR by AVR1. The result is a muddy mess where the x.x.2 adds nothing of value.

Now with the PLII solution, if a sound is placed in height front left, it will be played by TFL. If a sound is placed in height middle right is will be played by TMR. No sound is duplicated anywhere.

The PLII solution will also permit the use of 4 subs.

post #16 of 239 Old 11-16-2016, 01:40 PM
GGT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm fascinated by your project.... but

What is your plan for a unified volume control? Are you gonna have to adjust volumes across 4 remotes constantly? Maybe I'm missing something really cool to handle that.

I've set up a room with 11.4.8 or 13.4.6 depending on your point of view. Of course I have no way to run it. What does that make me? An idiot. Right now I run a standard 11.4 setup on it using a Denon 4520 where the remaining eight speakers sit idle. Clearly I was a little optimistic about where the Atmos speakers set sizes were going.

Your project may lead me to a setup solution.... but I can't say how much I'd hate to manually tweak all of those volumes.

Thanks.
post #17 of 239 Old 11-16-2016, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGT View Post
What is your plan for a unified volume control? Are you gonna have to adjust volumes across 4 remotes constantly? Maybe I'm missing something really cool to handle that.

I've set up a room with 11.4.8 or 13.4.6 depending on your point of view. Of course I have no way to run it. What does that make me? An idiot. Right now I run a standard 11.4 setup on it using a Denon 4520 where the remaining eight speakers sit idle. Clearly I was a little optimistic about where the Atmos speakers set sizes were going.

Your project may lead me to a setup solution.... but I can't say how much I'd hate to manually tweak all of those volumes.

Thanks.
The volume trick is sorted by the pink line in the drawing going from control out on AVR1 to control in on AVR2. On AVR2 the IR receiver is disabled. So the end result is that any IR commands seen by AVR1 is replicated to AVR2. The volume controls for the two PLII AVR's shouldn't need touching as they act as amplifiers from AVR2's point of view.

The other thing is the source setup on AVR2, it has to replicate AVR1 but with the difference that all sources use the same HDMI input.

I did pick AVR1 and 2 to be the same make and model series just so the commands would be as similar as possible.

post #18 of 239 Old 11-20-2016, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Time for some updates. The past week I have been working on the framing for the soffit.

First out was the inner frame around the plywood sheets:

Next up was the outer frame around the wall. Considering not much in this house is plumb it posed a bit of a challenge getting things straight. I would love a spinning laser leveller but at the cost of around £600 I decided to go for the £17.99 option instead, a water level:

One end attached to the wall near the intended height, and the other moved around the room dotting out a perfectly level line.

Once the line was drawn it was a pretty quick job getting the frame in place.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0596.jpg
Views:	3867
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1780705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0609.jpg
Views:	3862
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1780713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0608.jpg
Views:	3854
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1780721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0607.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1780729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0601.jpg
Views:	3882
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1780737  

Name:	IMAG0598.jpg
Views:	3877
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	1780745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0597.jpg
Views:	3861
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1780753  

post #19 of 239 Old 11-20-2016, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Water level= brilliant. I dont think this has been introduced on AVS. Nice one. Room is coming along. Keep the pics coming.
post #20 of 239 Old 11-20-2016, 07:20 PM

a water level. That's so engineering at it's origin. love it.
Keep up the good work.
thrillcat likes this.

JAMES JONES
HT1.0 | HT2.0
post #21 of 239 Old 11-21-2016, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69glamboy View Post
Water level= brilliant. I dont think this has been introduced on AVS. Nice one. Room is coming along. Keep the pics coming.
Thanks, I had the wife do the level aiming on the fixed end to make sure it was on the target line while I moved the other end around the room. It would have been a bit cumbersome to do it alone.

post #22 of 239 Old 11-27-2016, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

This weekend I started working on the AV stand.

First some concept art, the look I'm aiming for is a very chunky piece of plywood floating just above the floor (on castor wheels). I will use several layers of 3/4" plywood to build it up. The unit will be hollow so it can be used for cable management.

First up was the top layer and a trusty 24 year old router.

After some trial and error to make decent cuts I resorted to making frames that the router bit could cut against making life much easier.

The second layer of plywood has been added, probably another ten or so to go.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0616.jpg
Views:	3554
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	1793329   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0615.jpg
Views:	3551
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1793337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0614.jpg
Views:	3577
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1793345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0612.jpg
Views:	3559
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1793353  
chirpie likes this.

post #23 of 239 Old 11-29-2016, 12:15 PM
GGT

On that multi-volume thing.

It's me again. Thanks for your reply before on this topic. I've been thinking about this a lot.

I'm on board with how you are running AVR1 and AVR2. It's the two PLII receivers that has my head still hurting. You said that you don't have to worry about volume control for them because they are just acting like amps. Is there a setting on those NAD receivers that provides that behavior? Can other PLII receivers do this or is it a unique function of the NAD 743 that you've identified and are relying on? You could just leave the volume at "zero" and it will work?

I did some research trying to convince myself that I could do it with some other receiver, but I just can't conclusively connect the dots. I'm not down on the NAD 743 at all, but I'm trying to determine if there something special about it that makes it best for the job (other than the 12 volt trigger, I get that). My setup will require 4 (yes, four) of these PLII receivers, but I still have much to learn.

Thanks for your time again,

GGT
post #24 of 239 Old 11-29-2016, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

All receivers act the same. Think of it the same way as when you have two sources playing at different levels. What was ok with source one is suddenly very loud when you pick source two. In other words, a low signal in equals a low signal out. So yes the receivers will act just like power amps where the input signal dictates the output volume.

I'm curious what you are going to build that requires the matrixing of four AVR's.

post #25 of 239 Old 11-29-2016, 02:51 PM
GGT

On that multi-volume thing.

So your (must-have) criteria is a receiver that does PLII, has a 12 volt trigger and ... that's it?

Yeah, like I said earlier, I got a little over ambitious. My speakers are installed, wired, and ready to go. Let me run thru them:

C
L & R (mains)
WL & WR (wides)
HL & HR (front heights)
SL & SR (side surrounds)
BL & BR (back surrounds)
TFL & TFR (top fronts)
TML & TMR (top middles)
TRL & TRR (top rears)
BHL & BHR <---- (back heights) This is the set of speakers for which I'd need another set of AVR's to bring to life. TRL + BL = BHL and TRR + BR = BHR.

Thanks,

GGT
post #26 of 239 Old 11-30-2016, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

If you already have enough power amplifiers you could use PLII pre-processors instead of AVR's, they are not likely to have 12v trigger in though.

But yes a PLII AVR with 12v trigger in is all you really need.

I'm not sure how well your BH speakers will work since you will have one speaker position feed two AVR's.

post #27 of 239 Old 12-16-2016, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

My plan to get this done by Christmas turned out to be a bit on the optimistic side. However I was very productive today so have done quite a bit of framing for the soffit basstrap:

And that's it for now, more framing to be done tomorrow, hopefully even get that part done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20161216_224217733.jpg
Views:	3369
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1835073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161216_224154936.jpg
Views:	3369
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1835081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161216_224133447.jpg
Views:	3366
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1835089   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161216_224114297.jpg
Views:	3374
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1835097   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161216_224331201_HDR.jpg
Views:	3352
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1835105  

post #28 of 239 Old 12-23-2016, 08:31 PM

Liked: 2
Wow... just wow

What you are building is truly incredible. I can't wait to see the finished product.
post #29 of 239 Old 12-24-2016, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a question, in the diagram, you have video to avr 2 from monitor 2, have you testet it?

Thats because I have 2 Marantzs 7010, that i will use for 9.1.2 and avr2 for 7.1.4, I ahve connectet avr2 via monitor 2 as in your diagram, but its not working, theres no sound, i thought that monitor 2 wass sending the full untouched signal, avr2 is working fine, when connecting it as main, so its not broken.
post #30 of 239 Old 12-24-2016, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I will try that tomorrow. Hope it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
9.1.6 , atmos , Marantz , Monitor Audio , Nad