Seeking suggestion for multi-room meeting room setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Old 06-13-2016, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Seeking suggestion for multi-room meeting room setup

Apologies if this is not the correct sub-forum (and, if not, please suggest a better home for this).

I work with a 501(c)3 organization that has a large room that is used for presentation, meetings, etc. The room can be split into two halves, with each half being able to host an event.

I am looking for suggestions for both video and audio as follows:

Video: There is one flat screen TV in each half of the room. I would like a system, that includes one wall-mount HDMI outlet in each half of the room, that will behave as follows: If I plug a computer into either outlet, the computer drives both TVs. If I plug computers into both outlets, each TV is driven from the computer plugged into the outlet in that half of the room. Can you point me to such a system/device?

Audio: The request is quite similar. There are six speakers in the room, three in each half. I would like a system, with controls (basically volume) in both halves of the room, that accepts input from four wireless mikes and allows the audio to be piped to either or both halves of the room. For example, I could have all four mikes feeding all six speakers; or I could have one mike feeding three speakers and three mikes feeding the other three speakers. Ideally, the controls will exists in both halves of the room so that a group in one half can control that half without having to enter the other half. Can you point me to such a system/device?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 51

This is a complicates system out of the realm of home theater enthusiasts. You need to consult with a commercial A/V installation company.

I’ll let you know up front, this kind of stuff can’t be done on the cheap. You’re probably looking at a few thousand in equipment and installation costs, minimum.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
Old 06-14-2016, 03:59 PM
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2877 Post(s)
Liked: 2421
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post

You’re probably looking at a few thousand in equipment and installation costs, minimum.
I doubt it can be done for a few thousand
Old 06-17-2016, 03:22 PM
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Since you are asking here, I assume that you are attempting to do it "on the cheap" as a DIY solution. There are some relatively easy and inexpensive solutions that should work, at least close to the way that you are looking for. Neither solution switches automatically, but should be easy for anyone to operate.

For video use a 2x2 Matrix HDMI switch. It has 2 inputs and 2 outputs. You can assign either input to either or both outputs. For separate rooms, assign input 1 to output 1 and input 2 to output 2. For combined rooms you can assign either input to both outputs. You can get them from Monoprice for under $50.

For audio, you can use any basic stereo mixer in each room with a separate amplifier feeding each room. (Or a stereo amplifier with left channel assigned to one room and the right assigned to the other.) Set up each mixer so that the left channel for both mixers feed the amplifier for room one and the right channels for both mixers feed the second room. From either mixer, assign or pan whatever microphones you are using to either the left or right channel for the room that you want, or both channels if the rooms are combined.
Sponsored Links