Sound proof SciFi Door, is it possible? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2016, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Sound proof SciFi Door, is it possible?

I apologize for so many questions, but I decided to break them up instead of making more giant threads.

I probably won't do a theme theater, but I would like to incorporate some details that match my interest and while I'm not really into any one scifi movie series, I do like scifi. I thought it would be cool to incorporate some tech into the theater with regard to it's entrance. I found some inexpensive sliding door actuaters and was thinking that a sliding pocket door would be very cool and would look pretty scifi like. The problem is I can't figure out how this could be made soundproof and that matters more to me that looking cool. The door actuator just uses a worm gear and a geared bar on the door and works with a normal pocket door. It's also visible, so I would need to hide it somehow. Normal pocket doors hang and my experience with sliding closet doors in theaters is that these resonate audibly and create SQ problems. Are there sliding door hardware that is more solid and would not have this problem? Is it possible to create a soundproof sliding door? I can think of some very expensive and high tech options, but I'm trying to keep this under $500 in materials and simple. Even if you had gaskets, it seems like now instead of having 1 area that needs the sweep (which is always a weak point) you now have 3. It seems to me the door needs to be in some kind of solid track on the floor and ceiling and that there needs to be deployable seals that push out against the frame once the door is closed on the floor, ceiling, and something similar in the pocket area. I can't figure out how to make this work, so maybe it is just a bad idea, but I think it would be cool if I could make it work. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2016, 11:05 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked: 2204
it won't be cheap but this type of hardware is what you would need. its a track that allows a door to slide open/close but as it nears the closed position it moves forward, you could design it so it moved forward against air tight gasket seals.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The irony is that sci-fi doors look impressive in the movies, but they are about as low tech and impractical as you can get. They are usually just a flimsy lightweight door that is "operated" by a stagehand that slides it open and closed. Add a "woosh" sound effect to wrap up the package.

We've all used automatic sliding doors in our everyday lives. They are in office building, malls supermarkets, hospitals, etc. But when they move a little more slowly and don't make a wooshing sound, they are not all that impressive.

You can get high isolation sliding glass doors for use in recording studios and the like, but they are manually operated and quite expensive. At a more cost effective level, you could start with a sliding glass "patio"type door and figure out how to automate it. Glass probably isn't what you are looking for, but you could use the frame and replace the glass with whatever solid materials you wanted to use. The biggest challenge might be making it move faster than normal and not accidentally crushing whatever is in the way.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I'm aware of that hardware. So flush sliding door hardware from Sugatsune is around $1000 or so. Say between 800 and 1400 depending on size, options, etc. I really didn't want to spend that and it won't work with the worm gear actuator. You think there are no cheaper options? I also worry that the hardware isn't solid enough. The door still hangs, no bottom track, so when I played with it at a dealer, the door moved around. For about twice this price there is actually a manufactured system that would work better, so I think this still isn't the direction I want to go.

AD Systems can customize their hospital solution to my needs. Since it's a one-off it would be very expensive, but they suggested if I was willing to compromise and wait until they had a job with a client that was similar to my needs, they could simply sell me one extra from that clients order.

I guess I should just get my expectations in check.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpoes12 View Post
I apologize for so many questions, but I decided to break them up instead of making more giant threads.

I probably won't do a theme theater, but I would like to incorporate some details that match my interest and while I'm not really into any one scifi movie series, I do like scifi. I thought it would be cool to incorporate some tech into the theater with regard to it's entrance. I found some inexpensive sliding door actuaters and was thinking that a sliding pocket door would be very cool and would look pretty scifi like. The problem is I can't figure out how this could be made soundproof and that matters more to me that looking cool. The door actuator just uses a worm gear and a geared bar on the door and works with a normal pocket door. It's also visible, so I would need to hide it somehow. Normal pocket doors hang and my experience with sliding closet doors in theaters is that these resonate audibly and create SQ problems. Are there sliding door hardware that is more solid and would not have this problem? Is it possible to create a soundproof sliding door? I can think of some very expensive and high tech options, but I'm trying to keep this under $500 in materials and simple. Even if you had gaskets, it seems like now instead of having 1 area that needs the sweep (which is always a weak point) you now have 3. It seems to me the door needs to be in some kind of solid track on the floor and ceiling and that there needs to be deployable seals that push out against the frame once the door is closed on the floor, ceiling, and something similar in the pocket area. I can't figure out how to make this work, so maybe it is just a bad idea, but I think it would be cool if I could make it work. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Your other weak point will be the part of the wall that your sliding door goes into. For the most part it will be hollow unless you have a double wall and you are able to place insulation on each side. Also a solid core door would be nice but make sure your door hardware can handle the extra weight after years of use.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
Your other weak point will be the part of the wall that your sliding door goes into. For the most part it will be hollow unless you have a double wall and you are able to place insulation on each side. Also a solid core door would be nice but make sure your door hardware can handle the extra weight after years of use.
Since the majority of sound blocking comes from the CLD walls rather than the insulation inside the walls and there would be potentially as many as 5 layers of drywall between the sound source and outside, I wasn't too worried about that, but I did think about it.

The very expensive hardware mentioned would handle a solid core door, but like I said, I want to do this cheap. The hardware needs to be solid for acoustic reasons as the cheap stuff resonates. Currently I'm temporarily making use of a bedroom as my theater and it has a sliding closet door that resonates and rattles (Careful inspection and measurements have shown its the wheels on the track making most of the noise). It's not the first time I've experienced this either. If I do this the hardware will have to be solid. My sister is an architect and my sister in law is a commercial interior designer, I should probably ask them. They might know of a hardware that would work for this. My idea has been done before, so its not crazy, it just might be cost prohibitive. A commercial sliding door with top and bottom track would likely work very well, but those cost thousands of dollars and are typically custom made for each build.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 172
My guess is that the only chance to do this that isn't terribly expensive and has a reasonable shot at having some decent sound attenuation is to blaze your own path with a solid door slab, sliding mechanism built around linear rods and bearings (thomson or similar), stationary seal on the vertical edge and a hacked zero seal or two for top and bottom. The door could hang, but if I had room below to sink a track into the floor (ground level, second floor, conventional or slab, etc.?) I think I'd look at a linear bearing system top and bottom.

Once you have the door, track, and seal system figured out, there are a dozen ways to tackle the automation.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:20 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked: 2204
be sure you and the smallest member of your household can open the door when either the power fails or the mechanical drive fails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement