Recommendation sound isolation doors? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-25-2016, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Recommendation sound isolation doors?

I have found a few on the net but suggestions would be welcome for a good brand and source of sound isolation doors for HT. I'm looking for more than the run of the mill solid core door. Frame/gasket/door combo would be easiest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-25-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 671

I added solid core door with full perimeter seals and auto bottom seal. Is this DIY for you to do or will you hire it out? DIY expect to pay $5-600, in my signature link to HT build thread, towards the end Feb-2015

Look here
"The Envelope" Home Theatre 2014: Mike R(mtbdudex) DIY 11.3 Audio, 2.35 Scope 130in screen

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP

Last edited by mtbdudex; 07-11-2016 at 10:51 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-25-2016, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hire it out. Thinking about more than just regular solid core door.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-25-2016, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 84
What is your budget?

When I had my office isolated I couldn't find a soundproof door for under about 1500-2000 dollars, and closer to 3000 if it was a prehung system with all the hardware and seals where the STC rating was above say 40-45.

For under $150 I found lots of options for doors with a solid "acoustic" core and that is what I bought. Mine has an STC rating of something like 32 and it came from 84 Lumber. I couldn't even tell you who made it, it happened to match the other doors in my house, same supplier just different core. I then added the seals to the existing frame and sealed up the frame against the walls. That worked ok, its clearly the weak point. I was trying to be cheap and used inexpensive neoprene rubber seals instead of the automatic or adjustable types. For my office its fine, but when I do finish my basement and do the theater, I will do it right. Using an under $200 door, you will end up still spending probably $200 more on the seals, so you are already at $400-$500 plus installation.

To use these cheaper doors to achieve a higher STC rating you mount two back to back that open in opposite directions. This gives you a very high STC rating. Both must have seals. Still, even if you spent $600-$800 on this, you are well under the cost of a proper soundproof door.

If you are looking for an actual sound proof door and are willing to pay $3000, there are lots of options online, if you google plenty come up just for theaters. I just can't fathom spending them myself.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-11-2016, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dave N - Curious, what did you end up going with?

As a step up from your basic solid core door, then adding seals, here's a solid core with the Mineral core, $899 that would have seals on all 3 sides.
You would just have to add an auto bottom seal, and if you really wanted could add a second seal along the 3 sides.
>>That may be a good option for others who again want a drop in door with sealing and huge mass (LFE containment) that do not want to do any DIY, it seems the "best" non DIY offering from a big box store out there.

(note: these quotes were for my 48" wide door, same price as 42" wide, if you wanted std 36" would be less)

post #6 of 10 Old 07-11-2016, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 797
I just got a quote for a prehung, heavy door with all the goodies, "These doors start at $3389.06 + crating and shipping." This seems spendy. I am not sure if double communicating doors will work in my space, but I'm not real excited about dropping $3386 + crating and shipping on one door, so I am need to take a harder look at double doors.

http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/ac...roof_doors.htm

Last edited by jjackkrash; 07-11-2016 at 10:03 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-12-2016, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Look at the 1 3/4" Masonite core door, then with green glue add your own 1" MDF to it, under $1300 with dual seals even.
The will give you 2 3/4" thick like theirs, just as much mass. I've saved you $2k...

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP
post #8 of 10 Old 07-13-2016, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mike,

I have not made a final decision. The current door is a pocket door and after meeting with a contractor he told me what would have to be done to remove the pocket and reframe. I had been leaning towards a double door setup with zero international seals. After seeing your suggestion I'm not so sure. This door is on a side wall leading to a bathroom so 36" would be fine.

Any estimate of the soundproofing afforded by the masonite door modified as you suggest? It will also have Owens 703 over the door. What catalogue has the doors? Was it a local millwork or are these widely available?

Thanks,
Dave
post #9 of 10 Old 07-13-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dave;

Sorry Home Depot gave me the quote, I went to them and explained it, so a semi-custom door.
No spec on the added soundproofing by adding masonite, except more mass is better.
Heck, Ron Grieva (sp) at Gearslutz adds lead in his custom made doors.
Mine was 48" (I call it the "BFD", big fricking door), so 36" will be less $$
I went with the basic solid core door, in hindsight I wish I added the masonite option.

Way early in my framing phase I bought a pocket door, then decided on not installing it, and framed a 6 foot wide open space and used curtains.
This so I could have a HT space via curtains or a party space with rec room

That was how the basement was 2008 - 2014, then I did this early 2015, framed it for "BFD":

I added 2" 703 as acoustic treatment to mine also for first reflection management.
Here's images:
post #10 of 10 Old 08-31-2016, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Closing on new house in a few weeks and then theater build will begin late Sept/early October. :-)

I found this door while checking out an unrelated post on this forum: http://isostore.com/shop/product/iso...solation-door/

Looks good and costs about $2400 delivered including all hardware, seals, and frame. Masonite would save almost a grand after tax is factored in but labor costs would be higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page