Not that admitting this will instill any confidence in me on doing this but...
When I was in high school through my entire undergraduate degree I worked in a maintenance department at my fathers business and did a lot of electrical work. At the same time I also had internships at various companies which included Cuttler Hammer and numerous others building and testing certain high voltage electrical devices. I also have over the years built very high power and high current amplifiers and the such.
In that time I've done the following:
-Cut a live electrical line with pliers because I forgot it was live. A breaker saved my life!
-Discharged a massive capacitor array with a screw driver because a PhD engineer told me to. We both underestimated the potential of that cap array and it split the steel screwdriver and shot it out of my hands. I was in more danger from the screwdriver shooting out of my hand and the sparks created than any electrical charge as I was physically very well insulated at the time.
-Discharged a cap array and welded a discharge stick to it. The "discharge stick" was copper and had a resistive load connected to ground. It was simply too much at once and the resistance of the bulb was too low, so it melted the copper at the connection site.
-Accidentally connected the wires backwards on an amplifier connected to a power supply that contained 240,000 uf's of capacitance at 75 volts per rail along with 11 mh of inductance I believe. The amplifier immediately caught fire and threw sparks as soon as the voltage was turned up. Variac didn't save anything. My face was lucky to end up unscathed as I just happened to be looking at my test sheet at the time.
-Accidentally wired an amplifier dummy load for .25 ohms instead of 2 ohms and before realizing what I did had sent through a signal that caused more than 100 volts to swing on the output of an unprotected amplifier circuit and destroyed its output devices along with most of the protection resistors.
-zapped myself attempted to rewire a live outlet because we couldn't find the correct breaker on the subpanels and I didn't want to shut down an entire wing of the facility for a ten minute job. However when I was screwing the outlet back in I accidentally slid the outlet toward the side of the box and caused a short. It tripped a breaker and while I felt something, it was obviously minor.
-Blew up a $50,000 custom built test bench power supply with a QC testing rig I designed and built. I have to say though, it wasn't my fault this time. I intentionally wired it "upside down" so that everything switched in reverse of what was convenient to avoid the possibility of straining the incoming wires and causing a short. The Company president came in and physically spun the switches around which put the stress on them and an hour later the wires did in fact break loose and short out, destroying the supply in the process. It was still considered my fault since my test rig should not have been so easily modified. I was also a 17 year old intern, so I still like to think it wasn't my fault.
While every one of these smooth moves taught me a lesson (and most of those happened when I was under 19 years of age, some even under 18), I still don't really trust myself around household potential voltage anymore. I'm pretty smart but I'm also pretty absent minded and sometimes I'll make dumb mistakes like this. With electrical, that could be my life.
And....After all that I eventually left the field of electrical engineering and earned graduate degrees in an area that basically combines psychology, public health, statistics, and research design. Pretty different and probably for the best.