DIY carpet question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2003, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pad or don't pad the stage and riser?
The riser I can see padding but not the stage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2003, 07:41 PM

I'm padding both my stage and my riser. Figure if somebody wants to sit on the stage they should have at least some padding. One thing you might want to consider is whether you want tack strips or not on the stage and the riser. I had an installer out to do the carpet, and he said that I didn't have to put the tack strips down on either.

Of course, when he was trying to install it, he man handled the riser so bad, that I had to resecure it and have them come back out to finish carpetting the riser. :mad:
Old 04-20-2003, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

In the Cyberdyne I padded the riser, but my Reel Stage is more for looks and light absorption...I did not using padding with it.

Thanks for reading!

Darren Mortensen
Cinema At Home: A/V Interior Design
Old 04-30-2003, 06:51 PM

Did anyone install carpet themselves? I just bought commercial grade stuff. I was thinking about either tacking it down or using glue. Anyone have a successful experience with glue?

I take it that for those that padded the riser, they did so only on the area where the movie viewer's feet lay?
Old 05-01-2003, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You should put padding under carpet just as every other room. THe padding actually extends the life of the carpet. And who knows what you might use a room for or change furniture to later on. Besides the padding is way cheaper than the carpet.

Most importantly the padding adds to the total acoustics of the room and is a plus not a minus.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I padded the main floor, and didn't pad the riser or stage....

I used an office/home office carpet (trafficmaster) that was designed for glue down, so it wasn't problem (i didn't install it, had someone do it).

I didn't pad the riser/stage for 2 reasons:

1) for the stage, my a/v rack is on casters, and slides out of the proscenium...the rack is heavy, and rolling it on carpet with pad would be difficult...also, no pad means less compression when the rack is stationary (99.9999% of the time).

2) for the riser, I was concerned about how the transition would go from padded (top surface) to unpadded (where the carpet wraps on the lip)...

Cheers,

Rich
Old 05-01-2003, 01:23 PM

I did the carpet on my riser myself,

I did'nt use a pad either, used glue and carpet nails. Looks very good!

What I did was to lay down the carpet upside down, glue the riser, wait about 5-10 minutes for the glue to start setting up.

Then (with some help) flipped the riser upside down on the carpet and walked on the 3/4 mdf for a bit to have the glue set in the carpet.

then applied glue to the sides of the riser (2X6) and cut the carpet so it would fold over the sides, then nail the entire bottom of the riser.

I was a bit nervous doing this, with no experience in laying carpet, but it came out fine.

BTW, I seen no reason whatsoever in laying down the pad because only thing that is on it is the leather couch and the occassional foot traffic to get to the couch
Old 05-02-2003, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

I did the carpet in our theater myself. I did not pad the stage as it made it easier to fasten the carpet and wrap it around the lip. I did pad the rear riser and use tack strips around the perimeter, except for the areas where there was a step. In these areas I ran the pad right up to the lip so that the carpet would remain uniform in height It turned out not too bad! The only thing I'm not entirely happy with is the seam that I had to do as it tends to "tent" up along it. Luckily, it's pretty much hidden under the recliners and hsh box. IF you have seams to do then I would consider getting someone else to do it as it can ruin the appearance of a room. If you can get away with no seams then I think that a novice can do a decent job if they take their time....

Home reno pics and Craftsman inspired home theater

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...ome%20Theater/
Old 05-02-2003, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had it installed, but insisted on pad everywhere. Glad I did, too. Makes for a consistant feel and much needed on the concrete floor!

The riser and stage worked well with the pad - I don't think the few bucks you'd save on not doing the stage would be worth it.

Visit Cinema Murray

Check out a video of my theater here

Old 05-03-2003, 08:29 PM

I bought the carpet adhesive that Lowes recommended. Works well but stinks like dead fish. I hope that goes away in time!