AVS Forum banner

Bombertodd's new theater and more

6K views 65 replies 9 participants last post by  bombertodd 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I started working on my new theater today. Many delays but I finally broke ground. :D

EDIT:

Current Status - October 8, 2016

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
We started by removing the roof off the house. Then we took down the walls. This is our old garage. Tomorrow We'll saw cut the floors and remove the slab.

Attachments

#6 ·
Wow. You putting the theater in the ground and then rebuilding the garage on top of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
No we are building a theater room out of the old garage (but bigger), while also building a laundry room, office, bedroom , and a new garage. All will be on the same level. We don't really have basements in Southern California.

We finished demo. The dogs think we're ready to set forms. Hopefully we will be trenching Monday for the slab.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Can you explain the 30 inch pony wall with 12 inch clear railing on top behind the first row of seating and the 42 inch wrought iron partitions at the front of the theater? Do you have a proposed layout of the theater room with seating and screen size/placement?

You are already planning on running plumbing why not include at least 1/2 bath supporting the new bedroom and the theater?

#11 · (Edited)
The 30" pony wall is mandatory for code due to the 14" drop off (which is where seating will go). I'm going to run power in the pony wall for the motorized recliners and conduit for bass shakers. Ignore the 42" wrought iron partitions. We had some trouble with building codes, but there will be a complete wall there.

We have a bathroom in our current house near the theater. The wife an I didn't want to budge on other items. The bedroom will most likely be her art room. We are also running out of space on our lot. We have large setbacks in our area and we have an easement at and angle behind us which is why the garage is shaped the way it is.

I haven't settled on a screen size yet but I'm leaning towards a 2.35 130-140 diagonal. Seating distance will depend on screen wall thickness. I still need to determine the speakers and the layout. I'd like to make the screen wall as thin as possible to increase the seating distance.

#12 · (Edited)
I would only have the pony walls in place cheaply made for the inspection then remove them after the occupancy inspection.

In this theater there was a 24 inch drop and a hand rail was installed during construction, it was removed before the carpeting and and chairs installed and later the inspector had no issues.

Attachments

#13 ·
So the only way in to the house from the garage is through the theater?

#16 ·
I guess I understand that...I just haven't seen a theater that was a "traffic area". That's all.

#19 · (Edited)
Forms are set. Just got to finish plumbing and electrical.

I posted a quick sketch of the floor plan. I have a few questions though.

How long should I make the steps? I want long and grand, but not awkward.

Also how to should run the underground conduit into the equipment room? Up through the wall? straight into the equipment rack? :confused:

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
#22 ·
Bomber,

I'm subscribed and looking forward to watching your project come along. Once your past the initial construction and more into the setting up of the theater, depending on where your at in So Cal, I'd be glad to possibly help out if you need an extra set of hands.

Eventually I'm going to be building my own dedicated theater room, so lately I've been spending much more time in this part of the forum, and trying to learn everything I can / figure out what I like for my own setup.

Anyhow, send me a PM if you need any help down the road.

#23 ·
Plumbing passed inspection today. :D

Now I have to finish running conduit before getting our concrete forms inspection. I am trying to figure out the best way to supply electrical (power recline) and speaker cables (tactile transducers) under the seats. I am thinking about installing these Raco floor boxes: https://www.lowesforpros.com/electr...nd-plastic-electrical-box-cover_g2496501.html

Anyone out there have power recline on their seats? How many outlets do they take? I wrote it down when I went to Seatcraft but I forgot, I think it was two.

#25 ·
Anyone out there have power recline on their seats? How many outlets do they take? I wrote it down when I went to Seatcraft but I forgot, I think it was two.
Must chairs I've seen each have a single power cord. Jaymar seats share a transformer with one power cord for two chairs.

You can plug a row of seats into a power strip or have enough outlets one per chair.

#29 · (Edited)
Started framing the equipment closet.

I picked up these two Middle Atlantic MRK-4426's for real cheap. They are going to be framed into the hallway with an access door to the back.

Attachments

#37 · (Edited)
Some random pictures.

How many code violations can you find?

Conduit to the front row, second row floor box, and bar. Anyone know where to find wet location cat6 by the foot?

My wife's new decorations closet (18'x6').

Bicycle Shop in the back of garage (10'x11').

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.