AVS Forum banner

Home Theater Layout Help

504 views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  SierraMikeBravo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello AVS members,

I'm starting my home theater build very soon and I would like some advise and suggestions on speaker placement, outlets, materials etc.

I have attached a pdf of the layout. The small layout on the right shows the 110 inch screen, tower speakers, center speaker, and sub. The top left and right, 2'-O", indicate the box ceiling width. I have duct work on the right side and I would like the ceiling to match. We are covering both of the windows, but they are in the pdf. for reference.

Sound - Dolby Atmos is my goal. :) Speaker placement?

Visuals- 110 Projector/screen. Does this size fit this room? Where do I place the projector? What type of screen should I be looking at and why?

Seating - We are going to use our current couches and I would like to put a riser on the back row, if I have the ceiling height.

Also, is the theater room a good size? It's not as wide as I was hoping, but I have the duct work and support beam that splits the room in half.

Thank you in advance,

Daniel

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How tall is the room? And how much room is under the soffit?

Have you considered an acoustically transparent screen,with the 22' room depth? That would allow you to bring the
center channel speaker higher (or to use three identical speakers in the front).

Using the couches is a good start. You could measure yourself seated, and do a side sight line diagram, to make sure the
second row can see the bottom of the screen over the front row seated heads.

If you are using couches with fixed backs, you can space the seating closer together.

So why two entrances?

#3 ·
The room ceiling height is 7'-6"
Hight under the soffits is 6'-8"

I do my have any experience with acoustically transparent screen or fixed screen. Do you lose picture quality with a transparent srceen?

The couches are power reclining on the ends.

I will look into side sight diagram. I want to make sure the viewing from the second row isn't blocked by the first row of seating.

#4 ·
The real challenge there, is the second row and the soffit at 80" of height, combined with the narrow width.
You also need to watch where the projector ends up, regarding headroom. All together, that is a tough space to
design.

An AT screen may cost you a little in brightness, and a tiny percentage of picture quality, but you can still have
very good image quality. The real advantage is the center channel speaker can be raised substantially, and that results in
better audio in the back row.

#6 ·
From what I have gathered a 110'' screen is going to be too large from my current layout. 92'' screen is the biggest screen size for that room. If that is the case is a projector worth it? Should I just install a big flat screen?

The lolly columns and LVL cuts the room in half if I were to change the layout to front to back. That low point in the middle would be a distraction I think. Does anyone have a room cut in half with a LVL, how do they like it, is it distracting for viewing movies?

#7 ·
A 52x92" screen with proper sight lines is still pretty darn nice.

I've seen some soffit designs that hide a beam in the middle of a room. There's some on AVS. Such a design can
be pretty impressive.The issue with your space is the room's height, and how that impacts on the riser/projection
location. That side drawing of the room, to scale, should have the beam included, and you'll start to see just how the
LVL, pj, and riser start to interact.

A hdtv would mean no projector headroom issues, but likely also mean a smaller screen.

#9 ·
7' 6" room will prohibit the use of a tiered second row. In cases such as these, a second row bar is what is needed. Atmos "can" be accomplished, but inceiling speakers would not be a good fit, nor produce the sound you are after. Ceiling reflection is the only way to go with ceiling heights that you have. Feel free to contact me if you need additional help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.