AVS Forum banner

Double 5/8, GG, metal channel installation question

386 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  BIGmouthinDC 
#1 ·
Questions at the end mostly related to how to mount sheet rock to channel.

After an extended hiatus I'm finally making some progress on the basement build (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...97-netracer-s-general-ht-game-room-build.html)

Some background
I have resilmount a96r clips fastened to joists holding 2 11/16" 25guage metal furring channel mounted perpendicular to the joists. I also installed custom made backer boxes for the light cans fastened to joists using 2 RISC clips. Roxul insulation will be installed in the ceiling

I'm installing 2 layers of 4'x10'x5/8" sheet rock (assuming 10' makes it down the stairs) with green glue in between
I plan on using 1 1/4" fine drywall screws for 1st layer and 1 3/4" for 2nd layer.

QUESTIONS

Q. When mounting the furring channel, the 1st channel parallel to a neighboring wall is recommended to be 6" away from the wall; what about distance of the first clip and start of track from the perpendicular wall? All the drawings I've seen seem to indicate very close to the edge. Could it also be up to 6" like the other wall? The joists aren't exactly lining up so this might make more work for me depending on the answer.

Q. Do the layers of sheet rock need to be perpendicular to each other or just offset so there are no seams between the top and bottom lining up allowing a sound pathway? I'm hoping for figure A below.

Q. Acoustic caulk in joints on the first layer or is that a waste of time?

Q. Do the seams for either layer of rock need to line up with the furring channel? If yes, which layer?

Q. If layers of rock need to be perpendicular to each other, which layer of sheet rock should be perpendicular to the furring channels?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Q. When mounting the furring channel, the 1st channel parallel to a neighboring wall is recommended to be 6" away from the wall; what about distance of the first clip and start of track from the perpendicular wall? All the drawings I've seen seem to indicate very close to the edge. Could it also be up to 6" like the other wall? The joists aren't exactly lining up so this might make more work for me depending on the answer. -YES

Q. Do the layers of sheet rock need to be perpendicular to each other or just offset so there are no seams between the top and bottom lining up allowing a sound pathway? I'm hoping for figure A below. - Just offset. YOU WANT FIGURE B, you want to stagger the butt seams and not have long lines of untapered seams

Q. Acoustic caulk in joints on the first layer or is that a waste of time? - caulk the corner joints like ceiling wall and wall to wall, caulk the gap at the floor and any other joints that are excessive. You do not need to caulk butt joints if they are tight.

Q. Do the seams for either layer of rock need to line up with the furring channel? If yes, which layer? I've done it without lining up the seams with the channel, that is one of the benefits of using multiple layers, I did it in my basement 10 years ago and there have been no issues, you may need to add extra screws to flatten an edge by securing one layer to the one above. Use course threads for those. push the second layer up don't rely on the screw to pull the layers together. By the way I use 1 1/4 and 2 inch screws. The Hispanic drywall crews I've worked with think I have a leaky burrito when I tell them to do it that way and they want to trim the end edges of every board on the first layer so all the edges hit a channel, I humor them and let them do it on the first layer.

Q. If layers of rock need to be perpendicular to each other, which layer of sheet rock should be perpendicular to the furring channels? - I put both layers perpendicular.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.