post #10471 of 10477 Old 09-25-2014, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Leg rest covers 1st reflections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
I think there is plenty of reason to be very happy with hardwood floor. Consider a few things we know about acoustics and carpet. Carpet, even with the most absorbent properties and most absorbent pad, will not perform as a broadband absorber. A well-designed absorber on the ceiling could provide absorption much lower in frequency, meaning that it makes better use of itself - centering its absorption in the midrange and hopefully down into the bass region. Carpet is also often cited as helping with the response anomalies associated with "floor bounce" (the SBIR or Alison effect frequency response problem created by the first reflection of sound from the floor) but I think a careful look will show that carpet is not very effective here. Better results would probably come from choosing a speaker with better controlled dispersion in the vertical plane.

It seems that you are being fairly careful with your acoustic considerations, so I say proceed with confidence and endeavor to keep your treatments appropriately placed throughout the room and their frequency response profiles centered on areas of real concern.

Fred
I will have a planned viewing distance of 10 feet from the first row to a 9 feet wide cinemascope AT screen.
When sitting reclined in the Berkline 090s in the first row, the leg rest will cover the first reflections on the floor from the LCR speakers, and the 1st row seats will cover the FRZ for the second row...
In this case, ceiling treatment or not, would carpet or a rug between the screen and the first row have any beneficial impact at all?
It would seem that all it would do would be deaden the room with no positive effects to show for the downside? The only positive effect I can think of would be potentially less light reflection fron the floor to the screen, from black carpet as opposed to black-colored oak hardwood floor (oiled).

Anyone? Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10472 of 10477 Old 09-25-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob B View Post
I will have a planned viewing distance of 10 feet from the first row to a 9 feet wide cinemascope AT screen.
When sitting reclined in the Berkline 090s in the first row, the leg rest will cover the first reflections on the floor from the LCR speakers, and the 1st row seats will cover the FRZ for the second row...
In this case, ceiling treatment or not, would carpet or a rug between the screen and the first row have any beneficial impact at all?
It would seem that all it would do would be deaden the room with no positive effects to show for the downside? The only positive effect I can think of would be potentially less light reflection fron the floor to the screen, from black carpet as opposed to black-colored oak hardwood floor (oiled).

Anyone? Suggestions?
I would think that oiled hardwood is going to give you a lot of light reflection... I would at least use a dark carpet for the first few feet from the screen.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #10473 of 10477 Old 09-25-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So my acoustical considerations are okay, then?

I will try to test the shine in advance. I can always place a 2-3 feet wide dark rug on tje hardwood to fix a shine.
post #10474 of 10477 Old 09-25-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 205
That's my assessment.
post #10475 of 10477 Old 09-27-2014, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have a home theater and the ceiling is made up of sound absorbing "ISC Black Cinetile Matte" acoustical 24" by 24" tiles from http://www.iscsupply.com . I recently bought a Denon AVR-5200w with Dolby Atmos sound along with a set of the new Andrew Jones Pioneer Elite Dolby Atmos enabled up-firing speakers. The up-firing speakers require a reflective ceiling so that the sound will bounce off the ceiling.
So, I need to replace a couple of my panels with reflective ones. It was recommended that I purchase 1/2" foam core but I would like to use pre-cut ceiling panels.
I checked online at Lowes and Home Depot and they have a variety of 24" by 24" ceiling panels but from reading the descriptions none of them specifcially say "sound reflective." There is one type - Armstrong 16-Pack Oasis Homestyle Ceiling Tile Panel (Common: 24-in x 24-in; Actual 23.704-in x 23.704-in) with a description of "Smooth plaster finish with a 3-dimensional look." Do you think those would work? Anyone have experience with these ceiling tiles and can make some recommendations?
Thanks.

Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 5030 UB
Denon AVR-X5200W
Blu-Ray: Oppo 103
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61
post #10476 of 10477 Old 09-27-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 71
tjenkins95:

I would imagine that the rules are similar to those for "Definitive Technology bi-polar" speakers -- namely that you aim the 'unusually radiating speaker' (i.e. the ones out the back) at drywall. (reflective, rather than diffusive)

All materials have {absorptive, reflective, transmissive} qualities.
Reflectors tend to be like rock.
Concrete, being rock like, is a great reflector {low absorptive, low transmittive, high reflective}.
Next up in reflectors are sheetrock (aka drywall).

False ceiling tiles of fiberglass or foam wouldn't be my first choice for reflectors.

My first guess is you have four alternatives:
a) [reflective] make your own ceiling tiles out of drywall
b) [reflective] make your own ceiling tiles out of 3/4" plywood
c) [diffusive] make a diffusive reflector, poly shaped, made from 1/2 inch or more thick {heat warped plastic/plexiglass, laminated wood, or fiberglass}, and hang it from the ceiling above your speakers. (see below (c))
d) [diffusive] google for and purchase a "ceiling tile sound diffuser". There are several of them out there. e.g. RPG Harmonix-K ceiling tile

(c) Like one of these:

http://www.btconline.co.uk/index.php...:154/acoustics

Alternatively, of course, you can:
a) ignore it
b) measure its effects and treat any actual problem
c) disconnect the up firing drivers
d) something else

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.

Last edited by BasementBob; 09-27-2014 at 03:32 PM.
post #10477 of 10477 Old 09-28-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Thanks for the feedback. Dolby Atmos upfiring-speakers require a reflective surface so out of the four alternatives:

a) [reflective] make your own ceiling tiles out of drywall
b) [reflective] make your own ceiling tiles out of 3/4" plywood

are both good options.

Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 5030 UB
Denon AVR-X5200W
Blu-Ray: Oppo 103
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Fv15hp Subwoofer , Denon , Audyssey

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page