Acoustical Treatments Master Thread - Page 362 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 105Likes

post #10831 of 10841 Old 04-26-2015, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Yup. Soundproofing does not equal acoustical treatments, however you can get great benefits from a decent effort in soundproofing a room. Not just to keep sound in, but to keep other sounds out. Still not acoustically treating the room though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10832 of 10841 Old 04-28-2015, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
Do you have a link to a ceiling cloud to buy or make. also I have low ceilings, so I can't have something hanging low
Thx
Since you have our products, most of our customers use something like attached. Though it does put a 4" gap (recommend) between the panel and the ceiling.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/...ting-brackets/

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

http://www.gikacoustics.com

post #10833 of 10841 Old 05-01-2015, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Complaint from neighbor

I recently did setup my 7.2 home theater system and unfortunately there is a window(8x4) in the center of the media room wall. Our neighbor's master bedroom is across that window and they are complaining that they are hearing a lot of noise in their bedroom.

I have been searching for ways to somehow eliminate the sound going out the window. Can someone please share what is the economical way of getting the sound arrested going outside through the window? Does a good set of curtains help?

I am newbie to this whole home theater experience so please help me with your suggestions.

Thanks!
post #10834 of 10841 Old 05-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
post #10835 of 10841 Old 05-04-2015, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 99
hAS ANYONE ANY EXPERIENCE/INPUT/USAGE OF THIS?
Murano Home Furnishing, FOAM FOR SOUND CONTROL,
ACOUSTIC WEDGES 1" OR 2" HEIGHT?, 12 X 12"

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , Emotiva UPA7, for 7.3.4 ATMOS/DSU SHARP 80" LED/LCD
FL/FR: DIYSG Fusion 15's , Center: DIYSG 88 Special , SL/SR: RC3II , SRL/SRR: F-3Towers, TF & TR: SLX
2 30" BF THTLP'S , SUBMAXIMUS, 2 x Inuke6000DSP & 2 driverless LHORN cabs
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/401-di...rs-subwoofers/
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
post #10836 of 10841 Old 05-04-2015, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

FL/FR: DIYSG Fusion 15's , Center: DIYSG 88 Special , SL/SR: RC3II , SRL/SRR: F-3Towers, TF & TR: SLX
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
post #10837 of 10841 Old Today, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
Generally speaking foam is not going to do much below 500hz or so. Basically sucking up the upper frequencies but still leaving the mids and low end bouncing around. The goal is to have as even of absorption across the board as possible.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/comparin...44-bass-traps/

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

http://www.gikacoustics.com

post #10838 of 10841 Old Today, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

The entrance to my home hall way is 4 x 12 x 8 hi and there is a 44" wide passage to the LR where most of the stuff in my sig is . .
That hallway is all hard and all parallel surfaces and maybe a world class site for being able to demo clap/flutter echo
after viewing a number of you tube vids, of all types, yep! you got flutter and its very pronounced . . while standing in that hallway

I want to minimize its effect wrt being some sort of adjacent echo chamber for the main room,
i really can't begin to evaluate and/or quantify its overall contribution to sound degradation wrt MLP, which is about 15' away
the bass build up there is "impressive" and that just can't be good for LF overall (entire LR + attached spaces are close to 5K^3)
I don't expect to kill every problem this small space creates, but it could be a start
so my intent wrt to the foam wedges was to significantly dampen flutter

I could also build some SnS 3" panels 15 x 47 or 23.5 x 60 or any geometry staggered in that hall way set off the wall by 3" (extended french cleats)
I use sheer curtain material, primarily black and dark red for my covers, being AT, and the decorative/artistic "look" can be eclectic ,
I have ZERO WAF so if I like it , and it works, mostly, it's good

and then there is the evaluation and attack for what problems i undoubtedly have in my main listening area but i waiting to finish 2 more subs before I enter that branch of the rabbit hole
In the meantime, Audussey and the inukle makes for a good ATMOS/DSU environment

so if I ask, wedges or panels? I expect words about both and then there is someone who will say try it and get back to us, and some will say both, why not
constructive input appreciated

thank you

post #10839 of 10841 Old Today, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 52
My room is 12x20x8 and is covered with 1" thick panels. Some of the panels have oc703.
My current plan is to raise some of the panels at the first reflection points of my lcr speakers. Would raising them to 3" while filling the first reflection points with 3" of oc703 be enough. I can't go 4" but I may be able to stretch it to 3.5". The later option would require me to slice a sheet of a 1" oc703 into 2 halves..

I am also planning later to take some of the drywall out off the ceiling and insert more oc703 at the first reflection points then seal it with black fabric. This way I don't have panels hanging off my low ceiling.

I have no plans for the back side of my room. Any suggestions regarding that part would be appreciated.. I want to keep the room sounding live... Would leaving the back with no treatments be a good solution?

This is a picture showing the panels I currently have. I have more picture in my theatre upgrade thread in my signature.
post #10840 of 10841 Old Today, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post
My room is 12x20x8 and is covered with 1" thick panels. Some of the panels have oc703.
My current plan is to raise some of the panels at the first reflection points of my lcr speakers. Would raising them to 3" while filling the first reflection points with 3" of oc703 be enough. I can't go 4" but I may be able to stretch it to 3.5". The later option would require me to slice a sheet of a 1" oc703 into 2 halves..

I am also planning later to take some of the drywall out off the ceiling and insert more oc703 at the first reflection points then seal it with black fabric. This way I don't have panels hanging off my low ceiling.

I have no plans for the back side of my room. Any suggestions regarding that part would be appreciated.. I want to keep the room sounding live... Would leaving the back with no treatments be a good solution?

This is a picture showing the panels I currently have. I have more picture in my theatre upgrade thread in my signature.
As a start, you could deaden the front of the room by placing a Linacoustic 'sandwich' (1" LA, layer of 4ml plastic, 1" LA) on entire front wall...and have absorbtion panels on just first reflection points on side walls and ceiling....personally, I would also place a pair of absorbers on the sides of your seating row to reduce back and forth reflections directly at ear...imagine a ping pong hitting back and forth hundreds of times per second and your sitting right between that chaos.

Some love the dead front and live back treatment plan...all depends on your room of course.

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #10841 of 10841 Old Today, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I was planning on making panels behind each speaker (3" oc703) and stuff 6" in the corners.. Would the linacoustic have advantage over that? I think I am going to have to order extra oc703 so I am open to either material..

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
As a start, you could deaden the front of the room by placing a Linacoustic 'sandwich' (1" LA, layer of 4ml plastic, 1" LA) on entire front wall...and have absorbtion panels on just first reflection points on side walls and ceiling....personally, I would also place a pair of absorbers on the sides of your seating row to reduce back and forth reflections directly at ear...imagine a ping pong hitting back and forth hundreds of times per second and your sitting right between that chaos.

Some love the dead front and live back treatment plan...all depends on your room of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Fv15hp Subwoofer , Denon , Audyssey

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page