Acoustical Treatments Master Thread - Page 375 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 161Likes
post #11221 of 11232 Old 01-31-2016, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
I have had customers cut the wire too two short pieces, attach to the eyehook, make a loop on the other end then hang that on a hook on the wall. I may give this some thought and come up with other options for customers though. The french cleat is great but it still will not be flush to the wall.
But they stay put during LFE/ULF scenes of HT and music. Mine constantly shift to one side, then, due to physics, continue falling to one side. The far left panel fell against the ATS panel, so they didn't completely fall over.

ATS uses 4 total french cleats, but they are about half the size of the ones y'all stock up on (assuming they are the same as the ones I requested after having these issues). They also include a template and hardware for mounting. They are a millimeter or two from the wall at the most. They don't use slanted french cleats.

One of my wires broke today. About a quarter way from the left eye-hook if you're facing the back of the panel. Still can't figure out how - they're mounted using smooth nails

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 5.08.17 PM.png
Views:	358
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	1222778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 5.08.48 PM.png
Views:	360
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	1222786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 5.08.33 PM.png
Views:	355
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	1222794  

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/P363 center/HTD Level 2 Tower surrounds
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey

Last edited by bgtighe23; 01-31-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11222 of 11232 Old 01-31-2016, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post
1" is never enough. Hence the 2", it wil deal with one lower octave. 4" is better!
Interestingly, Dennis Erskine said (13 years ago in this thread) to cover the front wall with 1" InsulShield, and that 1" InsulShield is preferable over 2" treatment. Said the 2" is too absorptive. I am paraphrasing.

You have to hand it to Venus de Milo..., otherwise she would starve.

Computers have abundant memory, but no imagination.
post #11223 of 11232 Old 02-01-2016, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1 View Post
Interestingly, Dennis Erskine said (13 years ago in this thread) to cover the front wall with 1" InsulShield, and that 1" InsulShield is preferable over 2" treatment. Said the 2" is too absorptive. I am paraphrasing.
It's interesting how things have changed over the years. When building my first theater the advice was; 1" linacoustic on the front and sidewalls up to just above ear level, and poly batting on the rest of the walls above that.

Fast forward to today and most will recommend a minimum of 2" on the front wall and 4" plus on the rear wall, with 2" on the sidewalls from floor to ceiling with some diffusion and reflection points mixed in.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #11224 of 11232 Old 02-02-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
But they stay put during LFE/ULF scenes of HT and music. Mine constantly shift to one side, then, due to physics, continue falling to one side. The far left panel fell against the ATS panel, so they didn't completely fall over.

ATS uses 4 total french cleats, but they are about half the size of the ones y'all stock up on (assuming they are the same as the ones I requested after having these issues). They also include a template and hardware for mounting. They are a millimeter or two from the wall at the most. They don't use slanted french cleats.

One of my wires broke today. About a quarter way from the left eye-hook if you're facing the back of the panel. Still can't figure out how - they're mounted using smooth nails

If you would like please feel free to send me a email and I can send out some french cleats. Not a problem at all.

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

http://www.gikacoustics.com

post #11225 of 11232 Old 02-02-2016, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
If you would like please feel free to send me a email and I can send out some french cleats. Not a problem at all.
I explained in the post you quoted me on that I had already requested some after having these issues. They have been delivered, will be installed this weekend.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/P363 center/HTD Level 2 Tower surrounds
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
post #11226 of 11232 Old 02-03-2016, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I haven't gotten any feedback in my build thread, so I figure I'll ask here as well. I am currently working on my first theater. Rather than being a dedicated room, it is more of a nook off a living room. Obviously not ideal at all for sound, but sometimes you just need to make the best of what you have.

The room is 12' from the rear wall to the screen, and 10'11" wide, and has about a 6'6" opening along one of the walls. Now I realize I won't ever be getting an amazing sounding theater, but I am hoping I can improve the audio quality somewhat with the use of some strategically placed acoustic treatments. I would like to have all the walls lined with fabric panels, but am guessing that the optimal layout may have sound absorbing material behind some of the panels, but not others. I have my list of questions in my build thread, here. Further up in the thread, there is a more detailed drawing of the room layout with dimensions, etc. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated (feel free to answer here, or in my build thread).
post #11227 of 11232 Old 02-05-2016, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So, after discussions with the WAF counsel and looking at locations of can lights and smoke detectors, it looks like the only things I could swing in the room would be (diffuser) panels on the back wall between the doors and maybe bass traps higher in the rear corners. Will doing only that be worthwhile/make a noticeable difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyKerabatsos View Post
Hey all, seeking advice as to whether I could get any improvement in the sound by treating my room. It sounds good to me, much better than my old den, which was open to a dining room, a stairwell, etc.

Running a Denon 1913 AVR with a pair of NHT absolute towers, TwoC Center, and Absolute Wall surrounds. Sub is a Definitive Technology Prosub 1000 for now, but I intend to upgrade soon, likely to a Rhythmic LV12R. I did the sub crawl in the locations where the sub made sense aesthetically and for running the cable. Audyssey has been run.

As you can see, I'm somewhat hamstrung as to where I can put panels due to lay out (windows) and decor, but I wasn't sure if corner bass traps, ceiling panels or rear wall panels might be of any appreciable benefit. Dimensions are 15'10" W x 17' L, with ceilings that slope up from 9' to 11' (from the front of the room, where the towers/TV are, to the back).

Any suggestions appreciated.

Like to imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/1lP2J
post #11228 of 11232 Old 02-07-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 215
your input requested, please

I'm planning a "cloud" for 2 layers of 3" roxul inside my ATMOS trestle set-up. could be as large as about 40 ft^2

It will be about 15" ahead of my aimed at MLP Volts 6's and cover the entire space, almost , inside the trestle.
Because it's going to be broadband , I was thinking of using (black) fluorescent lighting egg crate panels to provide the roxul support between the supportive rails but there will be a layer of AT fabric underneath, for aesthetics, reflected light mitigation and fiber containment.

I've made regular 2" 703 panels with no frontal surface or minimal surface area compromise but they were not to be broad band

the egg crate panels have 1/2" opening and about 1/2" depth and the lattice structure of egg crate design will "reduce" the total surface area of the bottom layer exposed to reflected sound

but because the purpose is broadband, is that surface area reduction and the reflective surfaces of the lattice itself a significant factor of effectiveness reduction?

or should I be imagineering some other less obstructed thing

has anyone used egg crate "lenses" in this manner?

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , ATI A 2000 for 7.3.4 ATMOS/DSU/NEO:X SHARP 80" LED/LCD
FL/FR: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: F4Q4LP , SRL/SRR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's
DUAL LOWARHORNS , SUBMAXIMUS, 2 x Inuke6000DSP
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...orn-build.html
post #11229 of 11232 Old 02-07-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 215
your input requested, please

I'm planning a "cloud" for 2 layers of 3" roxul inside my ATMOS trestle set-up. could be as large as about 40 ft^2

It will be about 15" ahead of my aimed at MLP Volts 6's and cover the entire space, almost , inside the trestle.
Because it's going to be broadband , I was thinking of using (black) fluorescent lighting egg crate panels to provide the roxul support between the supportive rails but there will be a layer of AT fabric underneath, for aesthetics, reflected light mitigation and fiber containment.

I've made regular 2" 703 panels with no frontal surface or minimal surface area compromise but they were not to be broad band

the egg crate panels have 1/2" opening and about 1/2" depth and the lattice structure of egg crate design will "reduce" the total surface area of the bottom layer exposed to reflected sound

but because the purpose is broadband, is that surface area reduction and the reflective surfaces of the lattice itself a significant factor of effectiveness reduction?

or should I be imagineering some other less obstructed thing

has anyone used egg crate "lenses" in this manner?

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , ATI A 2000 for 7.3.4 ATMOS/DSU/NEO:X SHARP 80" LED/LCD
FL/FR: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: F4Q4LP , SRL/SRR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's
DUAL LOWARHORNS , SUBMAXIMUS, 2 x Inuke6000DSP
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...orn-build.html
post #11230 of 11232 Old 02-08-2016, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The right side of my room is dominant. What should I do? I already have left speakers 2db louder.
post #11231 of 11232 Old 02-08-2016, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenly View Post
The right side of my room is dominant. What should I do? I already have left speakers 2db louder.
Make sure the speakers are working the same. Maybe swap them and recheck.

Assuming they are the same and working properly, I'm guessing the first lateral reflection for the right speaker off the right wall needs to be absorbed. It's tough to know without more information.
post #11232 of 11232 Unread Today, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
2016 state of the art - AT screen - front wall treatment

Looking to get the last best practices about front wall treatment for an AT screen.

So far I got the following reading many posts here and elsewhere:

- 2 layers of 1"/2" linacoustic with x mil of plastic between
- 4 or more inch of Roxul mineral
- You need more thickness, more to come from Jeff with no further message
- Bass trap on corners

I did not put a summary of the theory about wave length and thickness of insulation in magnitude of foot. That is a good read for a late night, but I have yet to see a thread with walls thick as 10 ft.

So, feel free to post what we should call the best practices for front wall treatment in an AT screen configuration. We might have more than one answer or disagreement, fine. Please no answer such as it depends. I read many build threads and they all do about the same. The devil is in the details, I agree. I will argue there is a common base we can call best practices and then you can always add up with diminishing return to price. I have in mind as common base a room with double drywall with green glue or equivalent, double OSB floating on some sort of mat. Stage filled with insulation , sand, or nothing, whatever.... (see long post about it ). Some kind of soffits more or less stuffed with sound attenuation product such as OC 700 series, pink fiberglass.

Last point, do not forget about the DYI focus on many people here.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Fv15hp Subwoofer , Denon , Audyssey