Acoustical Treatments Master Thread - Page 382 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 174Likes
post #11431 of 11436 Old 07-27-2016, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
No, they are 20' high, and my wife is barely on board with putting traps in the front. I got a hold of GIK and ATS, and they both suggested I just stick to bass traps behind the towers and the center due to my constraints. My room is not an ideal space due to being so open, so I will go with any improvement until I can build a dedicated space.
Yes that is a lot of blank wall area so you will naturally have a lot of upper frequency reflections (reverb). In the future, I would get some absorption (or diffusion) on the upper wall areas.

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

http://www.gikacoustics.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11432 of 11436 Old 07-27-2016, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Thanks @myfipie . Unfortunately, those areas have been deemed off-limits by my wife. I do have two bass trap panels coming in from GIK, so we will see how that helps. I did have a contractor come in to see about finishing the upstairs media room - so I'm on the way at least. My wife is trying to steer me from adding a pool and just finishing that room. That's how tired she is of my HT hobby, lol.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's
PSA V3600I
Marantz SR7008 with TK421 Modification
Emotiva XPA-5
Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Samsung PN64F8500 (Master Bedroom)
post #11433 of 11436 Old 07-28-2016, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Hey guys.
Are tuned membrane traps very effective for treating SBIR? I have a huge notch in response at 135 Hz which I believe is SBIR and would try to treat it by putting membrane trap at right location. Broadband panels don't help much.

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, SVS PC13-Ultra
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i2
post #11434 of 11436 Old 07-28-2016, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
Are tuned membrane traps very effective for treating SBIR? I have a huge notch in response at 135 Hz which I believe is SBIR and would try to treat it by putting membrane trap at right location. Broadband panels don't help much.
Is it a side wall or ceiling bounce issue? A diagram or picture might help to confirm. But aside from that, it might more effective to diffuse the reflection. Just a thought.

Deadwood Atmos theater [HTOM]
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #11435 of 11436 Old Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Is it a side wall or ceiling bounce issue? A diagram or picture might help to confirm. But aside from that, it might more effective to diffuse the reflection. Just a thought.
My left speaker is very close to the side wall and also right below slanted ceiling. That (slanted ceiling mostly, I believe) causes pretty chaotic response from 120 to 700 Hz (unlike on right speaker), but my movement options are pretty much non-existent.
I have early reflections treated, but my room configuration makes it kinda difficult for me to figure out the solution. Today I will try to play sine wave at offending frequency while measuring SPL at MLP and move acoustic panels around to see if anything will make a difference.

Also, how do you diffuse 135 Hz?

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, SVS PC13-Ultra
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i2
post #11436 of 11436 Unread Today, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Got my panels in from GIK today - put them in temporary spots just to test, but will take measurements and move to the best spot later. I used TDKR as my demo, and I noticed a significant improvement right away. The bass is much more potent, with little reverb off the front wall, and all the rattles that were in the equipment rack are gone. Very nice! My wife hates them though - she is ready to call the contractor today and start on my HT room, lol. The contractor is coming back by on Tuesday with his structural guy to finish out my quote.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's
PSA V3600I
Marantz SR7008 with TK421 Modification
Emotiva XPA-5
Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Samsung PN64F8500 (Master Bedroom)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Fv15hp Subwoofer , Denon , Audyssey