Acoustical Treatments Master Thread - Page 394 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 246Likes

Old Today, 12:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAX2016 View Post
Harrisu,
So I've really been playing around with acoustic treatment over the past two months, moving them, stacking them (for lower freq absorption), and a loooot of listening. I have a 7.2.4 setup, with a 120" AT screen. Here's what I've learned, and maybe this will help in some kind of way.

1. Only absorb the whole front wall if you have an AT screen. Otherwise, I don't like the sound. I use 1" lin, plastic membrane, 1" lin (Thanks BIG!). I love the sound of this, because less SBIR (speaker boundary effect), great speaker localization, and great bass trapping.

2. Make sure both side walls have equal amount of absorption, and at the same height and distance. In other words, symmetrical. Otherwise, I can hear the difference. My side walls are covered about 40%.

3. I like the back wall about 50% covered with absorption. I hear this difference in the dialogue.

4. I use 3" rock wool at first reflection points, and 2" almost everywhere else.

5. Ceiling clouds, I have not tried, but I want to try the at the first reflection point on ceiling.

6. With the amount of absorption I just mentioned, the amount of power you need to reach the same SPL is greater. Meaning that if you'd regularly play movies at 60% of the receiver/amp capability, you'll need to run it at 75%. But that sound will be way more clean and linear.

7. I have not used REW yet. I have the app, but no mic. I would love to measure my room. Decay times, etc. But to my ears, this is the best my room has sounded.

What do you guys think?
What size is your room?

My HT build: Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room

Marantz | NAD | Monitor Audio | SVS | Pioneer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Fv15hp Subwoofer , Denon , Audyssey