Acoustical Treatments Master Thread - Page 399 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 270Likes

post #11941 of 11942 Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
More of an aesthetic thing, I might be able to do a 2" panel or something, but I don't want anything really large hanging down if possible. With the ceiling speakers and projector could get complicated. Looking for other possibilities before I go down that road =) Didn't know if diffusion was one, I only have absorption right now and I know there is supposed to be a balance.
2" absorbers with 703/705/Roxul works pretty well, I've switched to 4" for my front ceiling first reflection points but the 2" seemed to do a good job too. I have Roxul 4lb in the front and a mix of 4lb and 8lb in the back. I have 2" on the front sides with a 1" gap (first and second reflection points), because of space considerations I'm not going with 4".

The rule of thumb for diffusion positioning is a foot of distance for every inch of thickness for the diffusion otherwise you get image smearing (at least that's been my experience, someone with more knowledge might be able to fill in) so if you have the distance from the ceiling 1st reflection point to your seating position diffusion might work for you. Diffusion would tend to be thicker than absorption so I'm not sure it would be better for you or not.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11942 of 11942 Old Today, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
2" absorbers with 703/705/Roxul works pretty well, I've switched to 4" for my front ceiling first reflection points but the 2" seemed to do a good job too. I have Roxul 4lb in the front and a mix of 4lb and 8lb in the back. I have 2" on the front sides with a 1" gap (first and second reflection points), because of space considerations I'm not going with 4".

The rule of thumb for diffusion positioning is a foot of distance for every inch of thickness for the diffusion otherwise you get image smearing (at least that's been my experience, someone with more knowledge might be able to fill in) so if you have the distance from the ceiling 1st reflection point to your seating position diffusion might work for you. Diffusion would tend to be thicker than absorption so I'm not sure it would be better for you or not.

Cheers,
Yeah etc graph says 4.65ft to the point on the ceiling, so that's 4.65inches at the hight point of the diffusion material? For a 2" roxul panel I wonder if I could get away without framing it, maybe use a back board and fabric, 2" seems doable at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Fv15hp Subwoofer , Denon , Audyssey

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page