New Build - Any help appreciated! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2016, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
New Build - Any help appreciated!

Hi all,

I think I've posted a few times on this forum over the years saying "we're just about to start renovations" and it never happened, but they've actually started now for realsies

As part of this I'd like to start my theatre room build. It may turn out that I just do the wiring now (and maybe the painting and carpet) and finish up the installation of everything a bit later once things have calmed down (we have a baby due in 2 months as well, so perfect time for renovations!), but regardless I'd love some advice about placement and just technical things I should be considering now.

I've attached a portion of the plans (I've cut a lot out as I'm just going through and adding powerpoints etc to it now for the electrician) showing the theatre. It's approx 5.5m x 3.7m. That rectangle in the middle is an approximate location of the seating (just one row I think), but that is absolutely flexible with regards to optimal positioning for sound and viewing (one of the things I'll be picking your brains about).

We'll have our back to the entrance when sat down, and I'm thinking I'll go projector with an AT screen and the speakers behind it. I'm guessing I'll need a false wall for that to mount the screen on, and if so (pardon my dumb question) are the speakers just mounted "in" that wall (flush) with the screen over the top? On the back wall at the moment is a fireplace which we were going to have removed, but a false wall would actually be easier to just hide it.

I'd love an Atmos setup (any thoughts on 5.1 vs 7.1?) so I'll mount speakers on the side walls in the appropriate spots. Sub I imagine is just on the floor in a corner (not really possible to hide that?) and not really sure where to put, or how to store, the equipment I'll be using (amp etc, TBD). Is it worth having a small hidden door in the false wall and having the rack behind that so I can access it when I need to?

So with all that in mind, I guess I should be thinking about running speaker cable through the roof/walls, HDMI for the projector, and a sub cable?

I also need to think about suitable screen size for the room, which I also need help with I haven't bought any equipment yet so I'm totally flexible with regards to projector and screen.

So yes, lots of questions, hope that's OK!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theatre.png
Views:	41
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1663337  

Last edited by simonk83; 09-16-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2016, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 342
How tall is the room?

Is that a double door at the back, or barn door?

Aisle space might be an issue, with the 12' width, depending on seating.

Does the av rack need to be in the front wall?

Typically, the speakers should be 6" off a woven AT screen.

That's 17.85 feet of room depth. So why not just work the numbers for a one row room? You could plant seated ears 4' off the back wall,
and invest 2' of room depth for the AT space. That leaves your eyes close to 12' off the AT screen. Pick a viewing angle that you find
comfortable with, and make sure the chosen projector would have adequate lumens on any given screen size.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
How tall is the room?
It's 2.7m high

Quote:
Is that a double door at the back, or barn door?
Right now it's a barn door, but we're changing it to a double door, opening inwards (at this stage).

Quote:
Does the av rack need to be in the front wall?
Not necessarily no, I just thought it'd be out of the way with no distracting lights etc Where would you suggest?

Quote:
That's 17.85 feet of room depth. So why not just work the numbers for a one row room? You could plant seated ears 4' off the back wall,
and invest 2' of room depth for the AT space. That leaves your eyes close to 12' off the AT screen. Pick a viewing angle that you find
comfortable with, and make sure the chosen projector would have adequate lumens on any given screen size.
Thanks I guess I need to work out what screen size I should have on that false wall. Bigger is better right?

Last edited by simonk83; 09-16-2016 at 06:44 PM.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Bigger may not be better, when it comes to screen size and room boundaries. Some home theaters designers
suggest the screen be no more then 80% of the front wall. Room finishes might also impact on a wise screen size.
Maybe go larger with a dark room, and stay smaller with light finishes, might a good strategy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement