AVS Forum banner

Noob w/ New Home

1K views 43 replies 10 participants last post by  mjmcmahon67 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
I just purchased my first home and it has a dedicated home theater room. I want to deck this thing out to make it a great viewing / listening experience. I'll provide as much details as I have, but I'm pretty much a blank slate and up for any thoughts ideas on things I can / should do. I am going for absolutely minimum of 1080P, but would consider my options for 4K. Regarding budget - I don't know what's really appropriate. I would be willing to go upwards of $5,000 to $6,000 but I don't want to buy the most expensive thing just b/c it's the most expensive thing.

We don't close on the house for a few more weeks so I'm trying to plan ahead. I will also update when I have real dimensions since I can't get in there and measure yet. I've attached a (real) rough drawing of the layout.

Since we're moving into this new place and aren't bound by contracts yet, I'm going to attempt to 'cut the cord'. Any thoughts and help on this too would be appreciated. I'd also like to see what my options are for automation. I've got an amazon alexa and I'd love to say a command that gets everything started.

I'll keep this post updated with what I've done as I go along. Thanks in advance!!

Room dimensions & features:

• 14x18
  • Pre Wired for 7.1 Surround sound (possibly 7.2 but I don't remember)
  • 1 Riser - maybe 4 inches off of main floor
  • Carpet Floor
  • White Painted Walls - Will want to paint new color (thinking dark grey)
  • Closet - unknown if equipment terminates here
  • Dry Bar - unknown if equipment terminates here
  • French Doors - Block's out a lot of light, but could be improved

Equipment & Services I currently own

• Home Theater PC - I used a cable card with 2 Ceton Echo Media Extenders for capturing live TV
    • I'm not sure how much I will need to use this anymore since I'll be cutting the cord and won't buy a TV subscription
  • XBox One (x2)
  • Amazon Echo (x3) (2 Dots)
  • Blu Ray Player (x2)
  • Plex Unlimited Account
  • Amazon Prime
  • Netflix
  • iphones/tablets/laptops

Known Needed Equipment & Services

• Screen - Size? Biggest I can get with a clear picture
  • Projector
  • Speakers
  • Receiver
  • Universal Remote?
  • Antenna?
  • Roku 3 (Maybe)
  • Apple TV (Maybe)
  • PlayStation Vue (Maybe)
  • CHAIRS! - We're not sure what the best layout is. We're considering 4 to 6 individual movie chairs, or possibly a sofa on the back riser.

What else do I need? What am I forgetting? Am I trying to do too much? Is my budget out of whack?

I'm open to all ideas and I appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks, and I look forward to the conversations!

JM

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think many on the forum would agree to flip your room. Those doors ( adjacent to the screen wall) will be a distraction during a movie when guests need a potty break. The four inch riser will be pretty low.... You will need a " booster riser" to enable to see over top of first row heads. You will want to see if this room has sufficient hvac for a heated room of guests/ projector. Does the room have any acoustic treatments? Hope this is a starting point for you.

#6 ·
Thanks for your feedback! I'll get the measurements for the riser sooner or later and post them back here, but understand the booster riser concept. Regarding flipping the room....probably not going to happen. The entire room would need to be re-wired and I can't imagine the demolition that would be required to tear up the riser.
The room does not have any acoustic treatments that I know of. It's pretty much just 4 walls.

I'm a 2nd HT builder, which makes me a newbie for sure. I learned some hard lessons on the first one. And I would agree to flip the room. It will pay off later.

Here some notes of interest you may want to think about.

1. Don't rush it. Read, listen, learn.
2. Wait for the deals. You can get an amplifier + speakers in a package deal for a steal.
3. Shop for the projector. its' the most important in my book. www.projectorcentral.com. It's your friend. It will help you with screen size and the projectors that support them and you'll have tons of options to pick from. Read the reviews.
4. Room finished? Sound proofing capabilities? Consider sound treatments if it's 100% done already.
5. How do you want to light the room? Lots and lots of capabilities here.
6. Do you want all wireless? Control the whole room from your chair. Consider options for wireless wall switches. I'm using Lutron Caseta.
7. LED stuff? www.inspiredled.com
8. You might be okay with one sub. If they are free-standing (not in a wall somewhere) then just settle with one for now. Due the floor crawl later and see if you need a second.
9. Seating. Lots of options. I like 4seating.com but there are a few others.
10. Don't rush it! Read the thread on what I'd do next time. I know it's along thread, but there are a lot of gems in there. I learned a lot from it.
Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate the detail and the links!
3) Thanks
4) The Room is finished, but doesnt have any treatments at the moment. What kind of treatments should I look for?
5) The room is well lit by the 4 lamps on a dimmer switch that currently exist, but I wouldnt mind changing those out / adding something else if something cooler exists.
6) Regarding wireless - With the exception of the remotes, I'm all about wires. I've had too many connection / buffering issues in my life that I want to make sure that there are dedicated lines to all locations that need data. Unless you're talking about something else. I'll still look into the Lutron Caseta to see what's involved with that.
7) Awesome.
8) I'd definitely love a second sub, but that will likely come later down the line
9) Awesome.
10) I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!

#3 ·
I'm a 2nd HT builder, which makes me a newbie for sure. I learned some hard lessons on the first one. And I would agree to flip the room. It will pay off later.

Here some notes of interest you may want to think about.

1. Don't rush it. Read, listen, learn.
2. Wait for the deals. You can get an amplifier + speakers in a package deal for a steal.
3. Shop for the projector. its' the most important in my book. www.projectorcentral.com. It's your friend. It will help you with screen size and the projectors that support them and you'll have tons of options to pick from. Read the reviews.
4. Room finished? Sound proofing capabilities? Consider sound treatments if it's 100% done already.
5. How do you want to light the room? Lots and lots of capabilities here.
6. Do you want all wireless? Control the whole room from your chair. Consider options for wireless wall switches. I'm using Lutron Caseta.
7. LED stuff? www.inspiredled.com
8. You might be okay with one sub. If they are free-standing (not in a wall somewhere) then just settle with one for now. Due the floor crawl later and see if you need a second.
9. Seating. Lots of options. I like 4seating.com but there are a few others.
10. Don't rush it! Read the thread on what I'd do next time. I know it's along thread, but there are a lot of gems in there. I learned a lot from it.

#9 · (Edited)
I would have to agree that the budget will be tight. Theater seating even for the cheapest seats will run a couple thousand for two rows. A bare minimum projector is 500. Bare minimum receiver 300. Speakers and sub a couple hundred minimum. Acoustic treatments will be a couple hundred. Automation can get exepnsive fast. Screen is a couple hundred at least.

A 4k projector is about 10k so that is not happening. A faux 4k can be had for 3k. Still pushing it on the budget.

It can be done for 5k, it just depends on the results that you expect and if you will be happy with them. Some are thrilled just to have a theater room, some wont be happy unless their projector is a true HT projector with LSIMs and SVS subs. All depends on your standards.

With a Benq 1070, a HTIB, basic receiver, basic couch or sectional, basic screen, home made acoustic treatments, you could do this for 3k-4k.

#13 ·
#14 ·
here is a link to my build.

Attached is an image of my screen (Painted), I made sure the sheetrock guys made that wall smooth, and then painted it with Shermin Williams Bright White.. with a tight foam roller. 3 coats.. of course, if your wallis textured, you don't have this option.

Also, I would paint the whole front wall if I were to do it again.

Make sure your reciever is 4K with HDCP2.2, as well as the projector. You should look at the the Roku Ultra, it is also, 4K with HDCP2.2, which you'll need if you play 4K content with Plex.

Speaking of PLEX, I am also a big fan! and the Roku Ultra has the best interface for it at this time.

Attachments

#16 ·
Good stuff! Thank you! I'll make sure to read through this. I'll definitely be getting a Roku Ultra and an Amazon Fire TV. Definitely wiring as much as possible, I more or less hate wireless but understand its usefulness especially for mobile devices.

Also, Plex (especially for 1080P uncompressed, and 4K Content) needs to be wired, wireless works poorly.

And Lastly, if you are going to be using a screen in the 80 inch catagory, just buy an LED TV, 75 inchers are only two inches smaller that 80' (width wise).

It'll save you on a Screen, Projector, etc.. and a really good 4K Samsung at 75' is what? $3000?
We definitely want a projector just for the home theater feel. We've have several large 1080P Samsungs and love them, but we want the 100+ inch (if possible) screen.

What do you record content with that you're streaming on plex? I used to have a cable card that I'd capture live TV, but I won't have that anymore with cutting the cord. Just home movies and ripped DVD's / blue rays.

#15 ·
Also, Plex (especially for 1080P uncompressed, and 4K Content) needs to be wired, wireless works poorly.

And Lastly, if you are going to be using a screen in the 80 inch catagory, just buy an LED TV, 75 inchers are only two inches smaller that 80' (width wise).

It'll save you on a Screen, Projector, etc.. and a really good 4K Samsung at 75' is what? $3000?

#25 ·
Hey Guys,
So my wife and I did some browsing today on screens, and I was a little shocked by the number of options to choose (and their corresponding price).

We were told about cloth screens, and hard screens, and screens that are made for 1080P & screens for 4K. Where do you guys did your screens?

I know you can also kinda build them yourselves (not talking about just painting a wall) so where is the best place to look for that?

At the store we were at, the grey cloth 1080P 120" screen was about $1,500. The 4K solid screen was $4,500.

We're looking to mount a screen to a wall, so nothing fancy with lights / motorized etc.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

JM

#27 ·
There is a great screen forum on this site. Many here go the spandex route. ( two layers- white layer over grey or white over black) depnding on the lumens your projector will spill out. If you choose a factory screen you want to watch how close you sit to it. You may see the " weave" of the screen during the movie. There are calculators out there to figure which is best for your set up. Some manufacturers will offer a discount if you purchase through AVS which is pretty cool.

#28 ·
You can buy nice screens on Amazon all day long for less than $500. Just look for silver ticket screens' also Jamestown screens ect. I use a Silver Ticket and it is excellent with a Epson 5030. Look for a Refurbish projector also' I got a Refurb from Projector People for a great price. Look for close out deals on Receivers and speakers.

#39 ·
OK guys...it's been a while since I updated, but I'm just about ready to install.

The room has been painted and all equipment has been ordered and arrived.

Here's what I went with:

Speakers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1FSFRK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Projector: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IO0QWJA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Screen: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4WT6QU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We are getting two rows of seats this weekend. Set up in this configuration:

Text Line Parallel Drawing Plan

So my question before I start mounting & positioning the speakers:

Where do I set the focal point for the room? Do I aim for the front chairs, the back, or in between?

Thanks!

#43 ·
OK guys...it's been a while since I updated, but I'm just about ready to install.

The room has been painted and all equipment has been ordered and arrived.

Here's what I went with:

Speakers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1FSFRK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Projector: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IO0QWJA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Screen: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4WT6QU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We are getting two rows of seats this weekend. Set up in this configuration:

View attachment 1829761

So my question before I start mounting & positioning the speakers:

Where do I set the focal point for the room? Do I aim for the front chairs, the back, or in between?

Thanks!

Most folks tune the speakers and projector to the "MLP" (Main Listening Position). That's just fancy HT-geek speak for "the money seat", or "where the coolest person in the room gets to sit".

Looking at your room, and if the Amazon link to your screen was right (there were a lot of options for screens there), I think your MLP will be the two center seats in the back.

I say that for a couple of reasons:
- Rule of thumb is 1' of screen width for 1' of viewing distance. If your front row is < 10' (to eyeball distance, not the 7'6" to the front of your seat as you measured in the diagram), and the screen is 10', you're likely to find the front row too close for comfortable distance
- If the back row is ~14' and the screen is 10', you'll find this nice
- 14' isn't far, so it's still a nice viewing distance
- Those speakers & the Marantz can push sound that far pretty easily.

I designed my MLP to be front center, and found after I was done that I preferred back center. For me it was screen distance and the fact that I prefer cuddling in the sectional in the back vs. the HT seat in the front.

TLDR: Focus the back 2 center seats, and you can change it later if I'm wrong. :D

#40 ·
John -

we went similar directions on projector and screen - hope yours turns out as well as ours did!

Here's a link to my thread, although it hasn't gotten as much attention as yours:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ion/2547345-our-new-family-theater-build.html

I found the CineGrey screen to be fantastic in my room, even without going with ultra-dark paints. The gain is high enough that very light scenes make for a bit of "ouch" while my eyes adjust.

Can you clarify your question about "focal point"? Are you asking about speaker placement, adjustments to your projector, or ??

Happy watching,

Mike

#41 · (Edited)
Thanks Mike! Your build looks great! Where did you get your center channel speaker stand?

The focal point I was referring to was about the speakers. Pointing them all at the same point for the 'perfect' listening experience. https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/5-1-setup.html

My question was around do I make the focal point the front set of chairs, the back, or somewhere in the middle.

Also - What order did you set up your equipment? I'm not sure if I should do the screen or projector first. Speakers can kinda come whenever but I'm not sure if its more important to set up one or the other first. Everything I've read seems to point to Screen first, but I figured I'd ask others as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.