AVS Forum banner

The Under Grove, budget theater build

274 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jasinviso2000 
#1 ·
Finally finishing my unfinished basement in the next few months(years?decades?) and will post questions and progress of the home theater part to the thread. Honestly, I wasn't expecting to even start a home theater for many years, but my uncle who is doing the bulk of the work convinced me that if I don't do it now with some compromises, I'll never build any home theater let alone a perfect one.

I've been lurking for a long time in many forums on avs, but still need lots of advice.

The space I'm working with is pretty constrained.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1736409&thumb=1

Width 14'
Length 18'
Height 7 and 3/4 '

I hope to have 2 rows of recliners, with as much seating as is possible for the space and front projection with 2.35 aspect screen. Because of space, I don't plan on putting the LCR and Subwoofer behind a AT screen. The progress thus far is the purchase of permits and beginning framing. I've aslo having a subpanel run to the basement for theater and basement electric use. The next step will be to soffit in 2 hvac ducts that are in the theater space.

This shot is from inside the theater space where the 2 ducts are that need to be soffitted.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1736433&thumb=1

Some initial questions;

1. What size door are most using for their theater, any reason to go as wide as 36"?
2. Given the length, would a riser(12 inch height) that was 5 feet deep be too big? Should I just have a normal couch in 2nd row?
3. I've seen a few with theaters having soffits only on one side of the room, has this bothered you symmetry wise?
4. The framing is up, can't really put decoupling clips in now,but would I still benefit from attaching my drywall to decoupled channels and furring strips?

I will have many more questions, and right now am actually more apprehensive than excited, haha. This is a budget build so there will be compromise. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Equipment(suggestions are welcomed)

1. Projector - ???
2. Screen - ???
3. Subwoofer - ???
4. LCR Speakers - ???
5. Surround and atmos(?) speakers - ???
6. Receiver - ???

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I think you have plenty of room for an AT screen. Even if you have an in wall center (with backer box) and flank your towers on either side of the screen. Or go all in wall LCR behind the screen. I'm a true believer of having the dialogue of a movie coming at you from the peoples heads on your screen. Center channel above or below? Not so much. You'll be more pleased ,especially on action movies, with sound travelling from left to center to right ALL on the same elevation ( car chase scenes etc) If you plan on two rows, you may have to comprise elevation of the center channel. Think ahead of time on whom gets the " sweet spot" of the listening positions...
2nd row riser with reclining seats will need 6' 1/2 feet of depth for foot clearance. Hope this helps.

#4 ·
One question I have now is whether I need to green glue and double sheet rock the walls of the theater that are just solid concrete barriers to the outdoors. 2 of my walls and the ceiling would bleed into living space, and I plan on doing them, but the other 2 I see as a chance to save money by single sheeting. I'm planning on decoupling the drywall on channels for all walls though. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.