Spray or Roll Drywall Primer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-27-2003, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As I mentioned in a previous post, I ended up hiring a pro to do the mudding and taping. So it looks like this weekend I'll be priming the newly finished drywall for painting.

I'll have a storage room(8x8), hallway/stairwell, and 18x24 room to prime. Although I won't be priming the main room 4ft and below due to GOM.

Has anyone used or recommends using a sprayer to prime everything vs using a roller? Seems like I can save several hours using a sprayer instead of rolling. I've never used one before though... pros/cons?

Thanks,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-27-2003, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
OK Jeff,

Here's what happened to us - after many years of seeming to enjoy using brushes and rollers for our paint projects, I thought it would be a cool idea to save time (HA!) by buying a "power roller". We used it over the weekend to prime and paint the ceiling of our HT. What a waste of time and money!!! Although it didn't take too long to do the actual painting, the 1 1/2 hours to clean it up was ridiculous!!! I marched that thing back to the (unnamed ) store and returned it - AAAUUUGH! Glad to be part of the "manual" world again, where cleanup is a breeze!

Hope this helps!

Pam :)

Pam
post #3 of 16 Old 05-27-2003, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

I've used one of those "PowerRollers" and would have to agree about the cleanup. I'm actually thinking about one of the Sprayers like they use in new construction. Granted, it gets everywhere, but being that there is nothing in the room, no big deal.

Although, rolling it maybe just as easy. After all, it is only primer.
post #4 of 16 Old 05-27-2003, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I've never used a power roller, but I have used the paint stick, the one with the hollow handle/paint chamber that feeds the roller. It really works as well as "seen on TV".

Larry
www.fineelectricco.com
My system (new larger pix!)
post #5 of 16 Old 05-27-2003, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

DOH... Larry... I owe you a number. I'll send it to you when I get home.

err.. not to imply that I'm sitting at work reading the forums...
post #6 of 16 Old 05-27-2003, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

I love power rollers. Cuts application time in half and saves a lot of bending.

Cleaning is very important. Dry paint in the system will not improve performance. I have a Wagner - takes me 15-20 minutes to clean up. Hook the pump up to the garden hose and let'er run. Clean the roller inside with my hands.

Not for spot jobs.

I am thinking of using a sprayer on the outside of my house. I heard that sprayers have problems pushing latex paint? Anyone have experience doing so?
post #7 of 16 Old 05-27-2003, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

In my recent addition, I rented an electric power sprayer to paint It was the kind where the paint can sits on the floor and you angle the long sucktion pole of the sprayer into the can. Within seconds paint is a spray'n. Cleaning you just put a 5 gallon bucket full of water instead of the paint, and just spray...clean in a matter of 3 minutes or so....wow what a difference. I primed by hand and painted with the sprayer...it only took about 15 min to paint a 14x16 room with the sprayer for $45 rental. WELL WELL WELL worth it. Especially when cielings are involved.

And it does a great job, no brush marks.

The only thing to be careful is have lots of light so you can see what you are painting...I did not and I put it on kind of thick in some places.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-27-2003, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

I've got both, a sprayer and a power roller. They both have their place and neither is endless cleanup if you plan correctly. I painted my whole house in two days, every room inside, wall and ceilings with a power roller. Easy and very, very fast. I use the sprayer when I can make more mess (empty rooms).

I wouldn't power up either for a small job though. . .

Regards,
Glenn

My DVD collection
post #9 of 16 Old 05-27-2003, 09:00 PM
EC
AVS Special Member

Sprayers are real handy for stucko ceilings. I have a venturi type canister sprayer and I have to wear a mask when using it as the very fine paint particles stay suspended for a long time in the air. When you spray at least with my sprayer - you have to mask everything off. In a net new construction, this is not really required but unfortunately this happens only once in a rooms lifetime.

If you are making your own screen then the sprayer is your best friend.

Eric Chong
My HT Pictures
post #10 of 16 Old 05-28-2003, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I used an automotive type sprayer hooked to my compressor and it worked well, you most likely will need to thin the paint. Also I recomend using a primer / sealer, such as Kilz. I found that it worked better than just normal primer.

Pat
post #11 of 16 Old 05-28-2003, 10:23 AM

Liked: 11
Like Fitsman, I used a commercial airless sprayer. As I had ~4,500 sq ft of freshly-drywalled wall/ceiling space to prime and paint.

Worked well despite my limited experience with it...and I'll echo the previous comments about over-spray, need for good lighting, and being sure to get a mask.

If you do go this route, make sure you also use the right tip on the spray gun too. A wrong-sized tip could lead to an uneven coverage pattern and other headaches.

However, for primer on fresh drywall, you can't go too wrong. Your drywall will suck it up better than "ticks on a hound dog".:p

Go for it! Plus it's another toy...errr, I mean tool to master!
post #12 of 16 Old 05-28-2003, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

If you want a truly smooth and shiny wall, after your final sanding, skimcoat the entire surface with slightly thinned compound. You have to trowell well, and it's not easy, but you get a slick surface and the joints won't show through the paint. Plus, the less-porous surface gives Aggie's ticks a fighting chance.

Larry
www.fineelectricco.com
post #13 of 16 Old 05-28-2003, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Jeff-
If you want to try a power roller, I've got one you can borrow. I used it to paint my theater, and I don't remember any cleanup hassles.

Steve
post #14 of 16 Old 05-28-2003, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Steve, you're such a trooper!

If you or Jeff need to borrow tools or just some electrical know-how, let me know. You both have my number. Maybe we can start the Richmond Area Theater Enthusiasts & Do-it-yourself eXperts, aka RATED-X, or something equally inane.

:D :D :D

Larry
www.fineelectricco.com
post #15 of 16 Old 06-03-2003, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: Little did I know, but my dad had an Airless sprayer... So Sunday night I get everything setup in the HT and fireup the sprayer.... What a disaster!!! The hose was leaking and paint went everywhere.

So I cleaned everything up, and ended up rolling the primer on the ceiling and a portion of 1 wall. This little adventure took my about 3 hours.

Last night, I was determined to get the sprayer working.. After tightening, tweaking and working on the sprayer, IT WORKED!!! I will never roll another room again.

I finished the entire room, equipment room and hallway.. including all ceilings and walls in 1.5 hours.

I'll need to go back and do some sanding of places my drywall people didn't sand real well.

Tomorrow I'm going to put another light coat on and then I'm ready for the real paint.

If anyone is debating whether to roll or spay... my vote is for spraying. It does require some practice though to get a smooth finish.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-04-2003, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: outside of Denver CO - between Parker and Elizabeth (wayyyyy SE)
I have a wagner sprayer and I didn't care for it too much. IMO, if you have non-architecturally interesting rooms (i.e. plain flat walls, no pilasters, niches, etc.) it's just as easy, if not easier to use a roller. I had to be very careful to get even coverage with the sprayer, not to mention getting the twitchy thing set just right to not spit splatter drops. It's great for heavily textured surfaces, intricate surfaces, painting siding outside of house, etc.

I will be using it to paint our front porch wicker chairs.
Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page