Finding the Materials for the "Candy Counter" Project in HTB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-27-2003, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am not, by any means, an "advanced" doityourselfer, but I'm not an idiot either. I planned on building the candy counter featured in the current (April) issue of HTB over several weeks (not the "two days," as referenced in the title); yet, here are the problems I've come up against in just finding the required materials:

1. On p. 42, the product description numers and Lowe's part numbers for the "small fridge" and "base cabinet" should be interchanged.

2. Lowe's ranks its stores by classes. You can only buy the base cabinet mentioned in the article from a "Class A" store; if your Lowe's is of any other class, you cannot even special order it. Even with that stipulation, the manufacturer and Lowe's are ending their relationship, so only in stock units are available.

3. The sliding door tracks (p. 42) are available from C. R. Laurence only when you have a business account with them. Their customer service is incredibly inefficient; they lost my registration application TWICE.

4. The white fluorescent light listed as 19" in the article and Lowe's shelf labels is actually 20" on the box. The part number is correct, however.

5. I could find no distributor who could order a solid color laminate for me in a 48" x 120". The cheapest and smallest was Formica brand, at twice the stated price and almost twice the size.

I see one reason why the editors labeled this article as "advanced." The subscriber needs to know how to substitute parts, recognize errors, and deal with customer service neanderthals to even get the materials.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-27-2003, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I have grown very un-impressed with Lowes as well. This "only some stores can get it" policy is in place on many items. WTF? Home Depot may not carry everything but on any catalog item, you can get it at any HD store. And while HD may not carry everything, Lowes carries even less. We have a Lowes about 2 years old. It came into town and stole the thunder from HD about a mile away. Everything was neat and well displyed. Now it looks worse than HD, stuff mis-displayed, comodity items like basic PVC fittings out of stock for weeks. One, yes one, checkstand open on a Friday night.

I'm back to HD and there I intend to stay.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page