Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-20-2016, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wiring & Sub Advise

I am getting ready to finalize plans for my basement theater build. I am including the room layout. Overall it is 26x17 with variable ceiling heights due to I-Beam/Ducts, and High Ceilings (8'2" to 7'2" depending on location). Here is the advise I seek:
1) I will run speaker wires to each speaker from the AV Rack which is outside the room. What Speakerwire would you use? I hear MonoPrice is very good for very little.
2) I will run some very long interconnects to give me flexibility to put Tube Amps in the room next to speakers. What interconnect would you use (approximately 20'). I also will put them in the location of my subwoofers, and speaker wire as well.
3) Where would you put subs in this room? I plan to use either Emotiva XMC-1, or Anthem Statement D2/3D which will provide room correction for theater sound. I plan to TUNE the 2-channel separately and not use the Subs.

thanks - jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theater room v4.png
Views:	57
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	1844857  

Last edited by jbryngelson; 12-20-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-22-2016, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryngelson View Post
I am getting ready to finalize plans for my basement theater build. I am including the room layout. Overall it is 26x17 with variable ceiling heights due to I-Beam/Ducts, and High Ceilings (8'2" to 7'2" depending on location). Here is the advise I seek:
1) I will run speaker wires to each speaker from the AV Rack which is outside the room. What Speakerwire would you use? I hear MonoPrice is very good for very little.
2) I will run some very long interconnects to give me flexibility to put Tube Amps in the room next to speakers. What interconnect would you use (approximately 20'). I also will put them in the location of my subwoofers, and speaker wire as well.
3) Where would you put subs in this room? I plan to use either Emotiva XMC-1, or Anthem Statement D2/3D which will provide room correction for theater sound. I plan to TUNE the 2-channel separately and not use the Subs.

thanks - jeff
Monoprice speaker wire is great and very reasonably priced. Many on this forum use it. I used 14 gauge wire in my room and 12 gauge for my sub.
By interconnects do you mean conduit? Many on here either buy orange or blue conduit from Carlon or buy PVC to run wires.
I'm not the best person to ask about sub placement, but many on these seem to have one behind their screen and then a second could be placed in the nearfield close to their riser. But that will all depend on your room and to a certain extent personal preference.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-23-2016, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 54
First how many subs do you plan on using? I am going to assume two right now, I attached an image of where I would place the subs for best balance of the low frequencies. If you put both up front you would more then likely get a huge dip in LFE right around you MLP of about -10 to -15 DB, very bad! This again though depends on a number of factors, but more then likely, putting two up front is a bad idea, think of the LFE as a big wave leaving your subs, it goes up and down slowly through the room.

On a side point, I noticed you have no rear channels? any reason for not doing 7.1?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theater room v4.png
Views:	42
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	1849553  

post #4 of 11 Old 12-23-2016, 07:48 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3255 Post(s)
Liked: 2743
For long interconnects you want Quad Shield Solid Copper core RG6 wire. Something like this. Or you could just buy the wire and add your own RCA connectors.

http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/drop-shop-rca.html

Unless your gear supports balanced connectors with XLR connectors, then you want something like:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4754
post #5 of 11 Old 12-23-2016, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 275
I would consider putting the front sub behind the screen, but depends a lot on the look you want.

I ran both RG6 and 12 gauge speaker wire to my sub locations... I am currently using passive subs, with the Amp in my AV closet/room, so, using the 12 gauge speaker wire. However, I figured if I ever wanted active subs, with the amp built into the sub, I would want the RG-6 wire already there, so, I wired for both.

You have a nice size room! My front wall to back wall is about 23', screen wall to back wall is about 22'. My room is 17'6" wide. I squeezed in two theater seating rows & one bar row, but it is tight...with your extra room, that should be a nice lay out!
post #6 of 11 Old 12-23-2016, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I found the monoprice and cables on amazon just aren't that great when it comes to component sub cables (normal 12-14 guage speaker cables are just fine though), check out Blue Jeans Subwoofer cables with the solid copper cores if you want to run a good cable for your subs. Anything over 25 feet and your ground really starts to fall off and you need a solid copper core, not just coated like most. Otherwise you get a hum from you sub.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-23-2016, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanosWRX View Post
First how many subs do you plan on using? I am going to assume two right now, I attached an image of where I would place the subs for best balance of the low frequencies. If you put both up front you would more then likely get a huge dip in LFE right around you MLP of about -10 to -15 DB, very bad! This again though depends on a number of factors, but more then likely, putting two up front is a bad idea, think of the LFE as a big wave leaving your subs, it goes up and down slowly through the room.

On a side point, I noticed you have no rear channels? any reason for not doing 7.1?
I like your placement, opposite corners. I am using a 7.1 design, I overlooked the fact that the rear channel goes on the rear wall.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-23-2016, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
I would consider putting the front sub behind the screen, but depends a lot on the look you want.

I ran both RG6 and 12 gauge speaker wire to my sub locations... I am currently using passive subs, with the Amp in my AV closet/room, so, using the 12 gauge speaker wire. However, I figured if I ever wanted active subs, with the amp built into the sub, I would want the RG-6 wire already there, so, I wired for both.

You have a nice size room! My front wall to back wall is about 23', screen wall to back wall is about 22'. My room is 17'6" wide. I squeezed in two theater seating rows & one bar row, but it is tight...with your extra room, that should be a nice lay out!
I will be running both Speaker and RCA/Interconnect to the Sub locations, that way I can use an active or passive sub in this design.

Thanks for the thought!
post #9 of 11 Old 12-23-2016, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
For long interconnects you want Quad Shield Solid Copper core RG6 wire. Something like this. Or you could just buy the wire and add your own RCA connectors.

http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/drop-shop-rca.html

Unless your gear supports balanced connectors with XLR connectors, then you want something like:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4754
Jeff, I would be interested in an hour consult. Let me know if you have some time between the holidays. I just contracted a builder to build out the basement. Ted White is helping with Soundproofing. Im thinking I need a weekly talk for the next 8-12 weeks to keep my builder doing the right things.

Jeff
post #10 of 11 Old 01-02-2017, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What about HDMI?? Looking for your experiences.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-03-2017, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 275
I use Monoprice Redmere Active HMI... so far, work great. Mine were 'pre-4K', so, can't handle the full bit rate of 4k, but so far, my projector & movies aren't 4k so not an issue.

However, one of my big regrets is not having run a Conduit to the projector location, despite having planned to... I 'ran out of time'... which is a bit of a silly statement given how long my build took, what would another day have meant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction