Will a 12 by 15 foot room work - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By uniquepattern
  • 1 Post By chadsmith013

post #1 of 13 Old 02-09-2017, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will a 12 by 15 foot room work

Hi all,

I'm hoping one of you fine experts who peruse these pages can offer some guidance on dedicated home theater I'm looking to build. We are currently shopping for a new home and have found one where everything is perfect for us except possibly the home theaters size. I'm sure 99% of the population couldn't care about these types of things but for me and I'm guessing most people on this forum, a great home theater is a big deal and lack of one is a deal breaker.

I've attached the floor plan of the basement, we would be using the 12x15 room at the top of the page. It's a new build and everything has been finished except the room labelled media/wine which is just studs and insulation currently. It feels incredibly small to me to be honest, hence my reservations. Also it is cylinder blocks behind the studs, with a screened in porch above (not sure if that matters I just figure I'll put in as much facts as I can ). At least it should be 100% soundproofed provided I install a decent door.

A. So first and foremost is this room big enough? We are currently a family of four with a fifth on the way. The majority of use will be just me on my own binge watching netflix, concerts, sports and movies. I don't sleep well so I watch lots I think I can live with it just being a place for the family (ie. we wont be able to invite over friends and neighbors to enjoy it with) so the question is will we be happy with it.

B. Acoustics? What will the sound be like? My speakers are:
(2) Klipsch RP-280F Reference Premier Tower Speakers
(1) Klipsch RP-450C Reference Premier Center Channel Speaker
(2) Klipsch RP-250S Reference Premier Surround Speaker
(1) Klipsch RP-115SW Reference Premier 15" Powered Subwoofer
I plan to add two in ceiling speakers for ATMOS ( I assume 4 is overkill?)
Possibly two rear surrounds as well if you guys think the room will allow for it.
Is this too much sound for a small room? Is there a special kind of drywall I should be thinking about for this small of a room?

C. Visually? I currently have a 75inch samsung 7150 which is about 2.5 years old. This room has no windows so with the door closed it will be pitch black. Do you think I should go with a projector and if so, how big of a screen can I get away with if we assume 5 seats 13 or so feet away?

D. I have a decent, not unlimited, but decent budget to play with. I know that pretty much anything could be made to work, but knowing that a great home theater experience is important to me, would you guys try to make this room work, or pass and keep searching for a home with a more traditional sized room?

Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply and my apologies if I've placed this question in the wrong place.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf basement.pdf (159.3 KB, 78 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-09-2017, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 135
That's a pretty small space to work with. There have been a number of small theaters to get ideas from.

If you like the rest of the house, consider taking down the wall with the door to that room and moving it toward the wet bar. You could double the space or more, depending on where you put the new wall. It looks like that would require dealing with a sliding glass door and one or two windows. You might be able to move the sliding glass door over to the side of the rec room. In the big scheme of things, those are relatively minor things.

Don't count on it being "100% soundproofed" by installing a decent door. Start your education by reading through some of the Soundproofing Thread. Soundproofing master thread
post #3 of 13 Old 02-09-2017, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the reply. The wall with the door to the media/wine room is actually the foundation for the home so that can't be moved. The room is almost completely separate from the home with just a screened in porch above. It has electricity but no air ducts going in so i would be going with a radiant heated floor. I've read up on soundproofing and considering this room is like a bunker, I don't think I will need a room inside a room (decoupling) or at least I hope I don't as I clearly don't have the space to give up.

I've thought about moving the sliding door around the corner to one of the windows and playing with that space or moving the walls on the "equipment room" and playing with the space over there. Problem with that is the trunk for all the duct works runs through there so I'm thinking soundproofing might be near impossible.

I think you reaffirmed my fears though in saying that it is a pretty small room to deal with. That's my thoughts anyways, was just hoping someone might say my fears were unfounded.

post #4 of 13 Old 02-09-2017, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

I'm sure that someone could say that your fears are unfounded, but you'd be better off listening to your gut and what you already know.

Looking at the floor above, I see what you mean. There is a lot of heavy stone work directly above.

Your equipment room looks a lot more more promising. It would definitely take more sound isolation work, but this is definitely in the range of what people have done and had good success with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	107-timber-leif-the-blue-print-100-84-lower-level-4200x2800-300dpi.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	1955049  
post #5 of 13 Old 02-09-2017, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

This may be of interest to you. It is an old thread, but it does show what can be done with small spaces. It has been a while since I have looked at it, but as I remember, there were some pretty creative ideas. You might also so some searching to see what else you can come up with. I know that there have been a number of small theaters that have been posted here.

Small Theater Build Threads

This one is almost exactly the same size as the room under your porch. The Arthouse Theater (formerly The Grindhouse) COMPLETE! Pics Inside!

Last edited by DaveClement; 02-09-2017 at 06:47 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-09-2017, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Can you take that wall, door and window out to get some length?

Do a Google search for 'Theater for Hobbits 2.0' and then steal all his ideas. It was an avs home theater of the month and I'm sure you can use sketchup to figure out a way to land 5 seats in your theater.

You may not have room for a false wall AT screen but that doesn't mean you cant get a screen.

Limitations spur creativity.

Last edited by WarrenBerry; 02-09-2017 at 06:48 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-10-2017, 01:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 541
With a room that size I would go with the same setup as my 12x12 room but with 3-4 stadium seats added at the back as far from the wall as I could get away with. Check my signature for a link.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Code:
      FL  C  FR      | Input  : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
 TFL  WL     WR  TFR | Magic  : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
 TML  SL     SR  TMR | Output : Pioneer KRP-600a, SVS PB13 Ultra
 TRL  RSL   RSR  TRR |          Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #8 of 13 Old 02-10-2017, 01:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveClement View Post
Your equipment room looks a lot more more promising. It would definitely take more sound isolation work, but this is definitely in the range of what people have done and had good success with.
I second the equipment room. My room is 19x11 (slightly smaller than yours) and I was able to fit a false wall and 2 rows of seating with not problem.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-10-2017, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Im running a 12 x 14 HT here, lots of space to work with (and my subwoofers are bigger then most peoples washing machines..)
Just pay attention to the layout...
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-10-2017, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquepattern View Post
Im running a 12 x 14 HT here, lots of space to work with (and my subwoofers are bigger then most peoples washing machines..)
Just pay attention to the layout...
agreed..thats plenty of room..my upstairs loft is 12 X 15 and i make it work..
uniquepattern likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-10-2017, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Its workable. I think the biggest compromise would be the seating needs to be very narrow. Theater style seats could be a 22" wide seat solution.

Are those speakers untouchables?

Last edited by Tedd; 02-12-2017 at 05:46 PM.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-10-2017, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Those dimensions worked just fine for me.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/#/topi...ge=2&_k=b4xpf2
post #13 of 13 Old 02-12-2017, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It's on this thread titled Home theater Start to Finish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page