14'x17' Loft Dedicated Home Theater Opinions Wanted! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #1 of 82 Old 02-10-2017, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathan Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winter Garden, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
14'x17' Loft Dedicated Home Theater Opinions Wanted!

Been a longtime reader over the years, but I have a potential big project!

So, my wife and I are considering purchasing a new construction home here west of Orlando, and the floorplan includes a 14 x 17 loft area on the second floor.

The floorplan of the house is here: http://imgur.com/a/kH8d0.



I'd very much like to turn this space into as much of a dedicated home theater as possible, despite that there's one side of the space open to the rest of the second floor (and the rest of the house), so I'm curious if there are others that have built home theaters into similar spaces? Would it make sense to build out a wall to enclose the space, or is it possible to have a three wall theater room without being too terrible sounding/looking? Not sure what the approximate cost would be to build a wall if I did. I also have those three windows on the back to contend with - but it's possible I could just ask the builder to omit those.

I would love recommendations for custom builders/designers in the greater Orlando area, if anyone knows one or has past experience with one they were pleased with. I want someone that can be there during construction to ensure that wall insulation and wiring and anything else structural is correct during the build.

I like clean and traditional design, and darker colors - particularly maroons/browns/dark greys. Ceiling crown molding, a coffered or tray ceiling, wainscoting, decorative columns, and lighted wall sconces are what I'm hoping to include. I will probably do a 4-seat on a riser with loveseat for middle two chairs, and then some pillows/beanbag type chairs in front for the kids. Ideally, all front speakers would be hidden behind a 100' or larger screen (maybe building a false wall for the screen to sit on?), and likely ceiling mount rear surrounds.

Hoping to keep the budget at or around $10k.

I've been collecting idea/images on Pinterest for styling, layout, colors, carpeting, seating, etc. that I admire, and are striving towards: https://www.pinterest.com/nathanchase/home-theater/

Having a home theater has been a lifelong dream since I was a kid. I love seeing what everyone here has done with their spaces and really want to commit to a quality room. This will be my gift to myself (and my family) for my 40s.

Any advice on designs and/or layout (or suggestions of who to ask for help!) would be most appreciated! Thank you for reading!
Nathan Chase is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 82 Old 02-10-2017, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 24,649
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4527 Post(s)
Liked: 2927
Room size is fine. I wouldn't omit the windows (for resale value) but instead plug/cover them while the room is being used as a home theatre. Adding a fourth wall would be optimal, though you could get by with a "wall" of thick black-out curtains that can be pulled back when not using the room.
RLBURNSIDE likes this.

Sanjay
sdurani is online now  
post #3 of 82 Old 02-10-2017, 11:18 AM
Senior Member
 
DaveClement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lynnwood, WA USA
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 66
You should be able to make it into a nice space. The biggest challenge will likely be sound isolation. Given that it is close to the center of the house, surrounded by bedrooms and open space on three sides, and the fact that it is on the second floor, properly "soundproofing" the space would be complicated and expensive. As long as your family is willing to live with sound spilling over into the other spaces, you should be able to put this space to good use.


You may be better off keeping the windows for future resale value. A new owner might not appreciate having a big dark space. You will also need to consider what the house would look like from the outside. Many people have put in windows with permanently closed blinds behind them, so they look natural from the outside, but permanently or temporarily blocked them off on the inside, either with a temporary plug, or a fully walled over. Do a search for "window plug".




If you keep the back wall open, I would put the screen where the windows are. If you wall off the back, you will end up with a nearly square room. While not ideal for a serious theater space, having the room walled in probably outweighs the concerns about the sound in a square room. With a square room, you would be better off putting the screen either to the left or right wall when looking toward where the windows are in the diagram. This allows the screen and seating to be wider. If you put the seating or the screen on the same wall as your door, you would have to make it narrower and shift it to one side.


Make sure to add a power outlet in the ceiling where the projector will be. Keep it on the same circuit as the power that you will use for the rest of your equipment. Run conduit from your equipment rack location to the projector and all of your speaker locations. Use large diameter conduit for the projector. This will allow you to replace the cables for upgrades and in case any of them go bad.


Do all of the reading that you can and come up with as much of a plan as possible before construction starts.
DaveClement is offline  
 
post #4 of 82 Old 02-10-2017, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathan Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winter Garden, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Room size is fine. I wouldn't omit the windows (for resale value) but instead plug/cover them while the room is being used as a home theatre. Adding a fourth wall would be optimal, though you could get by with a "wall" of thick black-out curtains that can be pulled back when not using the room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveClement View Post
You should be able to make it into a nice space. The biggest challenge will likely be sound isolation. Given that it is close to the center of the house, surrounded by bedrooms and open space on three sides, and the fact that it is on the second floor, properly "soundproofing" the space would be complicated and expensive. As long as your family is willing to live with sound spilling over into the other spaces, you should be able to put this space to good use.

You may be better off keeping the windows for future resale value. A new owner might not appreciate having a big dark space. You will also need to consider what the house would look like from the outside. Many people have put in windows with permanently closed blinds behind them, so they look natural from the outside, but permanently or temporarily blocked them off on the inside, either with a temporary plug, or a fully walled over. Do a search for "window plug".

If you keep the back wall open, I would put the screen where the windows are. If you wall off the back, you will end up with a nearly square room. While not ideal for a serious theater space, having the room walled in probably outweighs the concerns about the sound in a square room. With a square room, you would be better off putting the screen either to the left or right wall when looking toward where the windows are in the diagram. This allows the screen and seating to be wider. If you put the seating or the screen on the same wall as your door, you would have to make it narrower and shift it to one side.

Make sure to add a power outlet in the ceiling where the projector will be. Keep it on the same circuit as the power that you will use for the rest of your equipment. Run conduit from your equipment rack location to the projector and all of your speaker locations. Use large diameter conduit for the projector. This will allow you to replace the cables for upgrades and in case any of them go bad.

Do all of the reading that you can and come up with as much of a plan as possible before construction starts.
Thanks for the detailed responses. Agreed on the windows - they're likely something that could be dealt with fairly easily and probably wanted for future home resale as you both mentioned.

Soundproofing would essentially be impossible without the fourth wall, but the curtain idea isn't a bad one. As long as it looked thick and high quality, that might be an option. An added wall and door would certainly add a big chunk to the overall cost of the project, so I might be more inclined to use that money on aesthetics of the loft space as-is and try to deaden the sound as much as possible on the three remaining walls.

I think I'll probably go with the screen on the west wall, closest to the master bedroom. I think that would probably aesthetically work well to see the seating area directly across when coming up the stairs.

That's a good point about the ceiling power outlet and cabling conduits - I'll make sure to mark that down as essentials.
Nathan Chase is offline  
post #5 of 82 Old 02-10-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 24,649
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4527 Post(s)
Liked: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Chase View Post
I think I'll probably go with the screen on the west wall, closest to the master bedroom.
Even in this day and age of surround sound, the front soundstage remains critical. That's where your attention will be focused, whether listening to music or watching a movie.

As such, it's not a good idea to end up with an asymmetrical soundstage, especially when it can be avoided. But that's what you'll get if you have a solid wall on one side of you and curtains on the other. Better to put the screen on the wall with the windows, so that left-to-right symmetry is maintained.
Tedd and mikela like this.

Sanjay
sdurani is online now  
post #6 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathan Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winter Garden, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Here's my approximate idea for what might be a layout option if I were to build a wall...

Space for a small bar with cabinets and undercounter fridge on left.

Screen with some sort of stage (with room for hidden electronics and speakers).

4-seats with loveseat in center on the riser on right.

Thoughts?

Nathan Chase is offline  
post #7 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathan Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winter Garden, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Here's some low-quality photos of the space pulled off a realtor's walkthrough video:



Nathan Chase is offline  
post #8 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathan Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winter Garden, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Some more detail on the proposed floorplan layout...

Nathan Chase is offline  
post #9 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 6,271
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Do you actually want to have compressor noise from a bar refrigerator, in your viewing environment? I would p[refer the optional coffe bar

You really should be headed the other way, trying to get the noise floor as low as possible, to preserve dynamic range of a soundtrack.

Why a riser with a single row of seating? I can think of many ways to better spend that effort and money.

Just playing "Devil's Advocate" here... I do like that you would be open to closing off the loft.
mikela and DavidK442 like this.
Tedd is offline  
post #10 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathan Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winter Garden, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Do you actually want to have compressor noise from a bar refrigerator, in your viewing environment? I would p[refer the optional coffe bar

You really should be headed the other way, trying to get the noise floor as low as possible, to preserve dynamic range of a soundtrack.

Why a riser with a single row of seating? I can think of many ways to better spend that effort and money.

Just playing "Devil's Advocate" here... I do like that you would be open to closing off the loft.
Sure, I wouldn't have to have a mini-fridge there - I could omit that, certainly. It was more the idea just to have some small bar area there for drinks/popcorn/etc.

My thought was there would be one row of dedicated seating on the riser, and then alternative seating below... kind of like this:



I already have speakers (front L & R, center, surrounds, and sub), receiver, and an HTPC that I'll be using for media, so I think the majority of my costs will be any room treatments, a projector (at the moment, the Sony VPLHW45ES 1080p is in mind, until perhaps the Optoma UHD60 4K becomes available), and a projector screen (likely a 135" Silver Ticket 16:9).

So, my initial big cost estimates are something like:
  • 135" Silver Ticket 16:9 - $519
  • Sony VPLHW45ES 1080p projector - $1,998
  • Seatcraft Aspen 4-row, middle loveseat - $2,121

So that's $4,636, which leaves me with $5,364 for any decorative / structural / sound absorption / cabling additions.

I think the hardest/costliest part would probably be creating a theater stage and flush-mounting the speakers behind, but maybe not?

Am I absurdly way off on real-world costs here?
Nathan Chase is offline  
post #11 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 6,271
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Something like this perhaps?

What is in that thick closet wall? I do wonder if there's an opportunity to put the projector in a hush box
back there, in the top of the closet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chase Loft.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1960321  
Tedd is offline  
post #12 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathan Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winter Garden, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Something like this perhaps?

What is in that thick closet wall? I do wonder if there's an opportunity to put the projector in a hush box
back there, in the top of the closet?
I don't know that there's anything in that thick closet wall. It probably isn't anything structurally-supporting or anything since it's on the 2nd floor. It's just empty wall cavity I'd guess without asking the builder.

That's a good thought about using some of that closet space for the projector and the AV rack. It all depends on whether or not my wife would go for it

I see how you have just a straight wall across - strangely, I hadn't thought to do that. That makes more sense.

In terms of the lighting, my plan was just to get some Philips Hue bulbs or other wi-fi-enabled zoned lighting in ceiling-recessed cans and control lighting all via my iPhone. Seems like it'd be a lot simpler and cheaper than some high-end theater lighting system.
Nathan Chase is offline  
post #13 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 6,271
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 349
I would do fabric panel side walls and rock out the lighting too. Don't take the fabric panels to the ground and work in some inexpensive
LED tape lighting. The idea is to add a little texture to the room, hide surround speakers and acoustical treatments, and rock out the lighting.
I would Ebay an affordable lighting controller, or do the

Just add in some closet space where the optional coffee bar is... The hush box for the projector would be up high and not take up much space.
And something like a Middle Atlantic Slim5 av rack has a 20x20" foot print, so it wouldn't eat up a lot of the closet.

You were focused on adding a refreshment area, while I was focused "not a good idea". (One of my "been there done that" mistakes, I have made
in the past.)

That wide closet wall might be HVAC related?
Tedd is offline  
post #14 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathan Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winter Garden, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yeah, I was thinking that getting some faux crown molding with LED, and a chair rail to wrap around the room would help.

Something like:
http://www.foamcrownmolding.com/ROPE_LIGHTING.html
and
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...022487511.html

I could do a two-tone paint job - maybe with a deep maroon on top, and a very dark grey on bottom, and paint the ceiling the same dark grey.
Nathan Chase is offline  
post #15 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 6,271
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 349
I actually like your budget mindedness for this space.

One could shave some cost for the screen wall.

Do you actually need the six seats? Two rows in 17 means the front row is close to center, and the second row is right on the
back wall. Both not ideal for audio. With one row of seating, you could get your ears 3.5' off the back wall, and sit 11' from an
acoustically screen wall, and have 2' for the AT space. Or depending on speaker choice, you could go shallower up front for the AT space.

Sent you a personal message.
Tedd is offline  
post #16 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 6,271
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Crown molding is one way to add some detail. Are you tied to a traditional molding and column look?

The ceiling could be a drop cloud, and inexpensive LED tape light could be around the edges of the room.
Tedd is offline  
post #17 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathan Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winter Garden, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Crown molding is one way to add some detail. Are you tied to a traditional molding and column look?

The ceiling could be a drop cloud, and inexpensive LED tape light could be around the edges of the room.
Whatever's a cost effective way to punch up the effect of the room and make it look fancier is the ultimate end-goal - although I'm not big on the fiber optic starfields and other stuff like that. It's just not my style.

I like rooms like this:




Nathan Chase is offline  
post #18 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathan Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winter Garden, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I currently have these for my front L and R:
Polk Audio TSi100



and this for my center:
Polk Audio CS10



and a small Sony sub, and some in-ceiling surrounds.

I guess I'll probably need to get new surrounds, as I don't think I'll be taking them out of our current house's ceiling.

I think my sub is probably the weakest speaker I have, so I could maybe spend some on a better sub (or subs).
Nathan Chase is offline  
post #19 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathan Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winter Garden, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm pretty worried about how to deal with those windows - maybe getting three sound absorption panels that cover each window entirely and exactly makes the most sense. Asethetically, I wonder if it will look natural, or forced. Perhaps if I can duplicate it on the far wall it would even out...

Those windows will be up high, and pointing to the backyard (which will most likely be conservation area), so I don't think it matters really how it looks on the outside of the windows.
Nathan Chase is offline  
post #20 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 6,271
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Why not window plugs for those windows?

Are those speakers ported on the rear? With the throw distance of a smaller space, they should be up to the task of playing reference levels.

Maybe you need to DIY a new sub, give it a simple flat black finish and hide it behind the AT wall. The Sony sub might work well, in the back av rack
alcove, as a balancing sub.

So you like fabric panel rooms, that have a lot of woodwork.

I am a fan of Art Install and how they rock out lighting and fabric walls. Not a fan of sticking the av gear up front though...

http://www.artinstall.ru/en/
Tedd is offline  
post #21 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathan Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winter Garden, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
I am a fan of Art Install and how they rock out lighting and fabric walls. Not a fan of sticking the av gear up front though...

http://www.artinstall.ru/en/
Ooh, I like this one, in terms of layout - if not color scheme: http://www.artinstall.ru/en/projects/riverside

and this one is super-swanky. Love it. http://www.artinstall.ru/en/projects/dublin
Nathan Chase is offline  
post #22 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 6,271
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Chase View Post
I'm pretty worried about how to deal with those windows - maybe getting three sound absorption panels that cover each window entirely and exactly makes the most sense. Asethetically, I wonder if it will look natural, or forced. Perhaps if I can duplicate it on the far wall it would even out...

Those windows will be up high, and pointing to the backyard (which will most likely be conservation area), so I don't think it matters really how it looks on the outside of the windows.
+1 to symmetry. Something like a long hinged panel could hide all three windows.
Tedd is offline  
post #23 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathan Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winter Garden, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Nathan Chase is offline  
post #24 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 6,271
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 349
No reason that molding couldn't be mounted on wood strapping, which would space it out from the wall.
And with similar treatment for a chair rail, you just created some depth, to have some window plugs.

I expect foam would be easy. Simply scribe a profile for the corners, and draw right on the molding. Then use a hand coping saw.
The caulk will indeed fill in any little imperfections.
Tedd is offline  
post #25 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathan Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winter Garden, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
These are inexpensive and could be rather handsome as accent lighting, I think:


Nathan Chase is offline  
post #26 of 82 Old 02-11-2017, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathan Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winter Garden, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This might work as a layout design for acoustical treatments that would cover those three windows nicely:

Nathan Chase is offline  
post #27 of 82 Old 02-12-2017, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 6,271
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Those sconces are quite nice. But you might have to rattle proof the glass globe, and I would watch carefully the clearance issues
around the av rack and the need to get back there, it that's where you put the av rack.

The glass globe also might throw light onto the screen, so that might be a negative in a short room also.

I would recommend you be careful with how they shoved the seating right into the corners, and right up against the back wall. And right
on top of the surround speakers. That is a nice looking room, but it is loaded with design mistakes.
Tedd is offline  
post #28 of 82 Old 02-12-2017, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathan Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winter Garden, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Those sconces are quite nice. But you might have to rattle proof the glass globe, and I would watch carefully the clearance issues
around the av rack and the need to get back there, it that's where you put the av rack.

The glass globe also might throw light onto the screen, so that might be a negative in a short room also.

I would recommend you be careful with how they shoved the seating right into the corners, and right up against the back wall. And right
on top of the surround speakers. That is a nice looking room, but it is loaded with design mistakes.
All good points to consider. I read somewhere that you should have at least 4 feet behind your head to allow for sound reflection, otherwise the sound gets trapped?
Nathan Chase is offline  
post #29 of 82 Old 02-12-2017, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Nathan Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Winter Garden, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
For a rack system, I have the following components that would likely need to be housed/connected/powered:

  • Xbox 360
  • Playstation 3
  • Wii
  • Wii U
  • Cable Box DVR
  • Sony STR-DH810 7.1-channel A/V Receiver
  • Gigabit ethernet switch
  • External Hard Drive
  • HTPC (housed in a Fractal Design Node 304)

Is that all rack-mountable for relatively cheap on eBay? Would it end up being more like just 1U/2U shelving units than actually screwing securely into 1U/2U racks? Rack systems are not something I have much experience with. It'd be nice to have all that tucked away in the wall with a nice door for access. Maybe I could have a door built-in to the closet to access the cabling/wiring behind the rack? Is there enough ventilation within a wall cavity as to not cause overheating of all the electronic components?

I guess I'd have to deal with IR and Bluetooth extenders if I'm not pointing the transmitter at the equipment. I currently use a Harmony Smart Remote which has a small hub that transmits its IR / Bluetooth commands towards my equipment in my living room entertainment center.

Here's some photos of my (kind of messy) current "rack" as housed in my living room entertainment center, my HTPC, in a lower cabinet, and my small Sony sub sitting beside the entertainment center:




Last edited by Nathan Chase; 02-12-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Nathan Chase is offline  
post #30 of 82 Old 02-12-2017, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 6,271
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Four feet would be great. I don't know about reflections, but you need some space for the surround sound field to properly develop.

And the separation is also good for speakers not being pulled out of a surround sound field, at the closest seat. It gets easier to set surround
sound channel volume levels. You also don't want seating in the corners nor close to the sides wall either.

Ever seen WY84U's DIY face plates? Or you could take a cue out of the car audio custom install business,
and make simple hardboard face plates and then cover them in vinyl using spray adhesive.
Tedd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
loft , theater



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off