1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveClement

post #1 of 7 Old Today, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Ceiling drywall layout

Getting ready to put up my channel and order drywall so I am figuring out my ceiling layout. I know you want to run the first layer of DW perpendicular to the channel, but what about the second layer?

Easier to avoid overlapping seams between the two layers if you put the second on perpendicular to the first, but then that layer (2nd) is running parallel to channel.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Today, 11:20 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Liked: 2806
My thoughts. You want to screw the second layer into the channels but it isn't necessary for all the edges to land on a channel on a multi layer installation. If you go perpendicular you will find at least 4 channels and sometimes 5 channels if you land the edges. If you go parallel to channel you will find two and sometimes 3. I like having more channels on a given sheet. This assumes 24 inch on center channel spacing.

You really can do it either way I just have a preference.
post #3 of 7 Old Today, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Big. So your thoughts are running the second layer perpendicular to the channel as well? Just have to stagger the sheets so the seams don't match up with first layer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 Old Today, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Do whatever you can to minimize butt seams on the finished layer. Butt seams are where the untapered ends of the drywall meet. They are harder to tape and hide than the tapered edges on the sides of the drywall. If you have butt seams, try to put them where they are less visible. For example, toward the sides of the room rather than right in the middle. Consider using 12' sheets of drywall rather than 8'. They are heavier, but you may have fewer butt seams.
BIGmouthinDC likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old Today, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Dave.

I have been planning on minimizing butt joints thanks to all the info in here.

12' would be an option, but since I am going to be using a lift and doing the lid myself it is going to be 8'. Fortunately for me the room is 16'6" x 17'. So 8' will work well and the joints on the outside from the extra 6" in one direction and 1' the other is going to be a non issue since I will be framing a 24" soffit around the room so you wont even see those.

If I have my diagram right I will/should only have 6 visible butt joints on the final layer.

But I am always open to suggestions. That's why Im here.
post #6 of 7 Old Today, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 76
If you can, stagger the panels so that the seams don't all run down the room in a straight line. The first panels would be offset to the left, the second panel would be offset to the right, and so on. It will be stronger that way.

Good call on hiding the butt seams under the soffits. That's what I did. My room is about 14-1/2' wide. I have 12' panels down the middle. The butt seams around the perimeter will be hidden under my soffits.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Exactly what I am going to work on Dave. My first layer might be started with sheets ripped to 2' then staggered with 4' on the final so I don't have any lapping seams. Little more work, but stronger in the end me thinks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction