Steve's First Dedicated Theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 57Likes

post #31 of 156 Old 04-13-2017, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Boston HSi 460s in ceiling speakers for Atmos duty are in - I like the tiltable tweeter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4056_1492126068717.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	2083025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4057_1492126082868.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	2083033  
unretarded likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 156 Old 04-13-2017, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I'm so jealous you are dry-wall'ed already.. I'm still in progress to get there. Just a one man show here....

Yours is looking really good.

keep up the good work and post the photos. it's nice to see others builds going on at the same time...

JAMES JONES
HT1.0 | HT2.0
post #33 of 156 Old 04-13-2017, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, I didn't think anybody was following anymore lol. Everything is taped and mudded, they should be sanding tomorrow. I've been stepping on every square inch of the false floor looking for any possible squeaks. There were only two small ones where the osb was too close to framing, but caulk and expandable spray foam fixed them.

post #34 of 156 Old 04-13-2017, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been following. I think you have an awesome plan.
post #35 of 156 Old 04-14-2017, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Thanks, I didn't think anybody was following anymore lol. Everything is taped and mudded, they should be sanding tomorrow. I've been stepping on every square inch of the false floor looking for any possible squeaks. There were only two small ones where the osb was too close to framing, but caulk and expandable spray foam fixed them.
I know what you mean. I keep posting in my thread and asking for thoughts or ideas, and I get crickets. but i do see my overall read number increase, so i know there are others at least looking at it.. does no one respond anymore?

anyway, keep the photos coming. i really enjoy seeing what others are doing and what kind of design elements we put into these things.

you are to finishing now! it's like running and marathon and you are just outside the stadium and can hear the crowd, not that i have ran the proverbial marathon, but i'm sure you get the idea.
anandrao and brazensol like this.

JAMES JONES
HT1.0 | HT2.0
post #36 of 156 Old 04-14-2017, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You are going at a break neck pace Steve. Everytime I read it looks like you have done a weeks work at my pace. But I am doing it solo like sirjaymz so the work is slow and every time you have a little plan change...

And I get what you are talking about with no posting. I started my thread, got a few responses then nothing. So I kind of gave up hope for the time being. Feels like a lot of work to post pics and log in and hear crickets.
post #37 of 156 Old 04-14-2017, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, i get the impression this forum is a lot less about dedicated theater construction and a lot more about dedicated theater room tweaks. As in, my dedicated theater is already done, here's pictures, what tweaks can i make to my room or equipment to make it better.

In my mind, the finish line is not even close. I bet the rest of this project takes a lot more time than what i have done so far has. Carpet, testing my 10 AT screen samples and picking a winner, assembling and installing the screen, building velvet covered false wall, mounting projector, building supports for surround speakers, building mdf enclosures for the in ceiling speakers and cutting that drywall, building 4 more LLTs, making absorption and diffusion panels, fiber optic star ceiling, building the riser, and on and on.
post #38 of 156 Old 04-14-2017, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
I'm not married and don't have kids, so it will be just me and the gf or guests using the room as the only people in the house at that time. Because of that, and because the future owner might use the room for something else, I decided not to worry about or invest much in soundproofing besides insulation between the joists.

With that concern gone, the double doors give the theater a grand entrance feel.
Don't forget that soundproofing is just as much about keeping it quiet inside the room!

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. - Douglas Adams
post #39 of 156 Old 04-14-2017, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

What would be generating noise to contaminate inside the room?
post #40 of 156 Old 04-14-2017, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Very nice work so far. You obviously know what you are doing and I will follow along to see what I can learn! I'm particularly interested in your AT screen material evaluations. I chose a Falcon Horizon AT material and am impressed on a 130" wide screen with RS500 projector so far, but my theater is not yet complete and I have a lot of tweaking to do.

Thanks for the pics and I hope you keep the documentation going...

Quote:
Yeah, i get the impression this forum is a lot less about dedicated theater construction and a lot more about dedicated theater room tweaks. As in, my dedicated theater is already done, here's pictures, what tweaks can i make to my room or equipment to make it better.

In my mind, the finish line is not even close. I bet the rest of this project takes a lot more time than what i have done so far has. Carpet, testing my 10 AT screen samples and picking a winner, assembling and installing the screen, building velvet covered false wall, mounting projector, building supports for surround speakers, building mdf enclosures for the in ceiling speakers and cutting that drywall, building 4 more LLTs, making absorption and diffusion panels, fiber optic star ceiling, building the riser, and on and on.
post #41 of 156 Old 04-14-2017, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
What would be generating noise to contaminate inside the room?
Appliances, wind, highway noise, noise coming in through the ground around the house (less of a problem if you live out in the middle of nowhere). Depends on your situation.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. - Douglas Adams
post #42 of 156 Old 04-14-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
I know what you mean. I keep posting in my thread and asking for thoughts or ideas, and I get crickets. but i do see my overall read number increase, so i know there are others at least looking at it.. does no one respond anymore?

anyway, keep the photos coming. i really enjoy seeing what others are doing and what kind of design elements we put into these things.

you are to finishing now! it's like running and marathon and you are just outside the stadium and can hear the crowd, not that i have ran the proverbial marathon, but i'm sure you get the idea.
I don't know enough to respond. LOL

I'm just trying to get my first theater done and start getting ideas for the inevitable re-do !!
post #43 of 156 Old 04-14-2017, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Rob - i follow. Lickily it seems pretty dead quiet down there. 3 walls are concrete and i dont have a neighbor to the theater side of the house, only the other side. I live on a dead end road of a subdivision, so only traffic would be one of the 4 home owners.

I did hear some bird chirping at a low level through the window, but the 6" thickness of absorption panels that will cover the windows should all but erase that.
Rob Dobbs likes this.
post #44 of 156 Old 04-20-2017, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Inching along. The mudding, taping, and sanding has taken a full week now, but at least things are smooth. Should be painting next week.

Home theater will be Sherwin Williams Urban Bronze, ceiling will be Tricorn Black.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4107_1492729713381.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	2094033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4106_1492729735970.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	2094041  
unretarded likes this.
post #45 of 156 Old 04-20-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Inching along. The mudding, taping, and sanding has taken a full week now, but at least things are smooth. Should be painting next week.

Home theater will be Sherwin Williams Urban Bronze, ceiling will be Tricorn Black.
I KNEW a bathtub would be the new trend in HT !! LOL

Great progress !!
post #46 of 156 Old 04-21-2017, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 688
I just spotted your build......nice!

Did you order that velvet yet ?

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
post #47 of 156 Old 04-21-2017, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Not yet, i have a ton of triple black velvet and a ton of stretch velvet already on hand - general consensus is that the triple black is great, but the stretch might be too shiny. I got both before i saw your responses and the stretch was intended to be my acoustically transparent velvet while the triple black was for all other surfaces.

If i find that the stretch isnt dark enough when i get to that stage, ill return it and get that velour you have.
post #48 of 156 Old 04-21-2017, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not yet, i have a ton of triple black velvet and a ton of stretch velvet already on hand - general consensus is that the triple black is great, but the stretch might be too shiny. I got both before i saw your responses and the stretch was intended to be my acoustically transparent velvet while the triple black was for all other surfaces.

If i find that the stretch isnt dark enough when i get to that stage, ill return it and get that velour you have.

Yes, mine also has that shiny surface to it, but it seems to be acceptable for the most part.

Given how nice your HT is, I would stay away from the budget stuff like I have....the last thing you want to do is build a bunch of nice panels with cheap fabric and have issues with it.

for a cheap converted room like mine it is ideal as I will just cover some cheap 10 buck 4x8 sound board with it and stand it up.........easy to deal with in my situation.

But for a nice real HT like yours, I would go with the good stuff.

Looking great by the way !!!!!!

post #49 of 156 Old 04-22-2017, 07:08 AM

Steve how big where your soffits? And what size cans did you end up putting in them? I am drywalling mine in now and having a hard time deciding on 5" or 6".

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
post #50 of 156 Old 04-22-2017, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I did 9" height and 19" width with 6" cans. 4 can lights just inside the corners on the front and back walls, and then 2 more on each sidewall spaced out evenly. The 2 up front will be behind the false wall and will help me see what im doing when putting in a movie or playing with equipment.

I chose 19" width on the soffit because i want the star ceiling to cover the entire width of the ceiling. This should allow a snug fit with 12' width of panels. I also didnt want the majority of output from the can lights shooting onto the side walls - that's the job of a sconce. I want the can lights to actually light up the room without need for any lights in the center part of the ceiling.

In addition, there will be a sconce on each sidewall, directly in the middle of the room, as well as led strip light on the lip of the riser and the perimeter of the tray ceiling. I planned for the riser lighting to be on a switched circuit, but not the tray lighting, so i'll either have to use the included remote or try to get clever with a hidden extension cord coming down behind an acoustic panel and surround speaker.
post #51 of 156 Old 04-22-2017, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Carpet color is Shaw Iced Coffee, walls are SW Urban Bronze, and seats are Hogan Zero Wall Recliners in Mocha. Each seat is 59" wide lol, nearly twice as wide as most normal theater seats - no elbows rubbing in my theater.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4140_1492873368743.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	2096537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4134_1492873391648.PNG
Views:	310
Size:	722.0 KB
ID:	2096553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4137_1492873407551.PNG
Views:	302
Size:	800.1 KB
ID:	2096561  
unretarded likes this.
post #52 of 156 Old 04-25-2017, 11:08 AM

Thanks Steve. Built my soffit 9" tall but 16" wide. Just looks right in the room for the size, so I might go with 6". Not going to use any sconces on the wall.

The can's in the soffit are going to be the main light for my room when I need to see so that is why I am doing 3 along each wall and 2 at the front and back. Going to keep the ones in the front on their own switch so I can dim the room and not the screen. I have lights in the back bar area that are independent of the rest of the room that I can turn on when I walk in.
post #53 of 156 Old 04-25-2017, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounds good. If you are going to have powerful bass in that theater, and you are obsessive-compulsive about rattles like me ( I feel it temporarily pulls you out of the movie experience), you may want to hit and fiddle with the cans to identify any rattles before the soffits get drywalled. Caulk works great at preventing any parts from rubbing, squeaking, or rattling.

After doing more testing with that Urbane Bronze color, I decided to go with Black Fox instead.
mcallister likes this.
post #54 of 156 Old 04-25-2017, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Carpet color is Shaw Iced Coffee, walls are SW Urban Bronze, and seats are Hogan Zero Wall Recliners in Mocha. Each seat is 59" wide lol, nearly twice as wide as most normal theater seats - no elbows rubbing in my theater.
NICE recliners.!

I wish I could fit those monsters, but I am limited to less than 10 foot wide.

I am going to pick up tomorrow night some Berkline hollywoods, a 3 seat row with the fancy little tv tables.....should leave me a couple inches on each side for the back row.

post #55 of 156 Old 04-25-2017, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

What color and fabric?
post #56 of 156 Old 04-25-2017, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What color and fabric?
They are used......so I had no choice.

Dark burgundy color and full grain leather.

But the price was right.........200 bucks!

I have set of doubles right now in a tannish suede material I am using in my old room, will be using those for the front row so I can walk by either side to get to the second row.

Same story with those, but got them for 75 bucks.

I am taking the money I saved and dumping it into sound proofing the new room.

Moving this from a 12x12 bedroom, to a 11x17 new room.

post #57 of 156 Old 04-26-2017, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Theater is on standby until the bathroom gets finished. The project is finally starting to become fun.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4178_1493251889020.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	2104713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4175_1493251904757.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	2104721  
post #58 of 156 Old 04-27-2017, 01:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Whats the red stuff over the durock?

I been out of construction for the last 17 years.....

post #59 of 156 Old 04-27-2017, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Redgard. It's an elastomer that creates a continuous membrane seal.
unretarded likes this.
post #60 of 156 Old 05-02-2017, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I installed some of the hallway floor while they are still working on the bathroom. Theater remains at a standstill.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4222_1493785756682.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	2114977  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page