Is atmos worth doing with a 7'4" ceiling? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #1 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is atmos worth doing with a 7'4" ceiling?

I am trying to design a dedicated HT and I'm trying to decide if atmos is worth budgeting for with a room roughly 19 L X 15 W X 7'4" H in my basement on a carpet covered concrete. I'm just starting the design phase, I'm very open to any and all suggestions. Or should I just do 5.x or 7.x?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kilo1000 and dopippen45 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Is atmos worth doing with a 7'4" ceiling?

I was also thinking of possibly building a riser for the sectional seating (WAF required she doesn't want theater chairs/love-seat) which would then make the ceiling effectively closer to the listening positions. Since on concrete either riser or some sort of suspended flooring maybe?
post #3 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 56
That's a good question. I really don't know what the go/no-go height would be for atmos.
Kilo1000 likes this.

post #4 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 142
My experience and advice is completely anecdotal (as I haven't taken the time to A/B against a flat 5.1 in my room), but my ceiling is roughly the same height and I feel that Atmos (object based audio) works well. Even with non-OBA encoded movies, using the Dolby Surround upmixer creates the 'sound bubble' you'll hear folks talk about.

I used GoldenEar speakers all the way around, with Invisa HTR 7000s for the heights. My config is a 5.1.4.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160119_3127.jpg
Views:	1271
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	2033169  
post #5 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Agree completely with Johnstown. My ceiling height is about 7'1"-2" and I put 4 Atmos speakers in for a 5.1.4 room. Really glad I did even though I heard that lower ceilings don't work well and you need upfiring Atmos speakers. It costs next to nothing to wire for it at least so if you decide to add later you can. I wired up for 2 back speakers that i have yet to install, but I know it's at least there if I need it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8915.JPG
Views:	1170
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	2033193  
post #6 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just recently went from 5.1 to 7.1 with anticipation to move to 5.2.2. I would love to hear opinions because 7.1 was a huge improvement (for me) from 5.1 with a lower ceiling. I'm convinced that moving from 7.1 to 5.2.2 will be equally as big of an improvement, mainly in heights. Any thoughts? I'm also working with goldenear Sat50s in front and Sat 3s in rear. Looking to add Invisa for Amos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnstownFlood View Post
My experience and advice is completely anecdotal (as I haven't taken the time to A/B against a flat 5.1 in my room), but my ceiling is roughly the same height and I feel that Atmos (object based audio) works well. Even with non-OBA encoded movies, using the Dolby Surround upmixer creates the 'sound bubble' you'll hear folks talk about.

I used GoldenEar speakers all the way around, with Invisa HTR 7000s for the heights. My config is a 5.1.4.

Amazing room. Very nicely done sir!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 67 Old 03-17-2017, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazzz View Post
Agree completely with Johnstown. My ceiling height is about 7'1"-2" and I put 4 Atmos speakers in for a 5.1.4 room. Really glad I did even though I heard that lower ceilings don't work well and you need upfiring Atmos speakers. It costs next to nothing to wire for it at least so if you decide to add later you can. I wired up for 2 back speakers that i have yet to install, but I know it's at least there if I need it.

Wow. You guys are giving me some hope here. If I can build something even close to what you have going I would be thrilled!

post #9 of 67 Old 03-18-2017, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purenv View Post
I am trying to design a dedicated HT and I'm trying to decide if atmos is worth budgeting for with a room roughly 19 L X 15 W X 7'4" H in my basement on a carpet covered concrete. I'm just starting the design phase, I'm very open to any and all suggestions. Or should I just do 5.x or 7.x?

I also have 7'4" ceiling height now with 4 Atmos speakers.. Def Techs...Love it!.. I will soon be replacing my white ceiling tiles with new black ceiling tiles to my drop ceiling and at that time I will add 2 more Atmos speakers for a total of 6..Can't wait to hear/see the end results....
Purenv likes this.
post #10 of 67 Old 03-18-2017, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 5070 Post(s)
Liked: 3546
Your ceiling is high enough to make Atmos worthwhile. Just don't mount the height speakers directly above anyone's head (you can get away with that if you have a much higher ceiling). To reduce riser height, stagger the seating (e.g, 3 in the front row, 4 in in back row). This way, people in the second row are looking between heads (rather than over them, requiring a taller riser).
chirpie and Purenv like this.

Sanjay
post #11 of 67 Old 03-20-2017, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnstownFlood View Post

Quick question. So you put your atmos in the ceiling and it sounds fine? I have a ceiling at about 7'6' and I was going to use the upfiring speakers. I would prefer to use the in ceiling if it was an option but was always directed towards the upfiring technique.

I am close to starting the wiring, I am glad I was busy with work this weekend and didn't start it yet.
post #12 of 67 Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 422
I like what Sanjay is proposing with the low ceiling. Getting some seating/speaker separation is something I would want, if doing so.

On the other hand, is it fair game to ask what the money spent on ATMOS might get you elsewhere?
Purenv likes this.
post #13 of 67 Old 03-21-2017, 12:55 PM
@TJ

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
From Dolby:

Ceiling Height and Materials

The ideal ceiling height is between 7.5 and 12 feet, and the maximum recommended height is 14 feet. The ceiling should be flat and made from an acoustically reflective material, such as drywall or plaster.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...-4-setups.html
post #14 of 67 Old 03-21-2017, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Maybe I missed it in the thread, but don't forget that your side and back speakers won't be as high up in an Atmos situation vs 7.1. Usually just a bit above ear level.
post #15 of 67 Old 03-21-2017, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by @TJ View Post
From Dolby:

Ceiling Height and Materials

The ideal ceiling height is between 7.5 and 12 feet, and the maximum recommended height is 14 feet. The ceiling should be flat and made from an acoustically reflective material, such as drywall or plaster.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...-4-setups.html

I am already planning on wiring 12ga. for the 4 surround channels using Volt 10LX's and possible atmos channels (Volt 10LX's for these also). I was a little worried that since after sound proofing the ceiling I will be closer to 7'-7'1 1/2"

crazyhog likes this.
post #16 of 67 Old 03-22-2017, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mine will be about 7' 6" or slightly lower after clips and drywall so I'd be interested in how it sounds as well.
post #17 of 67 Old 03-22-2017, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Make sure you get with Ehrich from DIYSG on the Volt-10s for surrounds and atmos. I was going that way, but after a lot of back and forth emails, I ended up going Volt-6s all around. Your dimensions are the same as mine and the Volt-10s were way overkill for the room. He could have easily took my order, but he spent time convincing me that going smaller made more sense. Something to consider at least. Good luck with the planning and build.
post #18 of 67 Old 03-22-2017, 11:24 AM
@TJ

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazzz View Post

Sorry to hijack but this design looks just like what I had to do to hide my support post, wish I had seen this earlier won't have spent all those nights thinking of a solution myself! ha! Nice HT Fazz!
post #19 of 67 Old 03-22-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I have an ATMOS 7.2.4 setup with a 7'7" ceiling using Volt 6's & ATMOS boxes that are 6.5" deep. Effective speaker height = 7' .5". Not ideal, but definitely worth it. Sounds fantastic. Highly recommend it.

JPeezy13 likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010

Last edited by schmidtwi; 03-22-2017 at 03:58 PM.
post #20 of 67 Old 03-22-2017, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1redss View Post
Make sure you get with Ehrich from DIYSG on the Volt-10s for surrounds and atmos. I was going that way, but after a lot of back and forth emails, I ended up going Volt-6s all around. Your dimensions are the same as mine and the Volt-10s were way overkill for the room. He could have easily took my order, but he spent time convincing me that going smaller made more sense. Something to consider at least. Good luck with the planning and build.
Thank you for your response. I just sent an email to DIYSOUNDGROUP before I read your post. I will definitely consider the Volt 6's for all the surround channels including Atmos.

post #21 of 67 Old 03-22-2017, 04:58 PM

Liked: 14
Glad I could help. I just know I went back and forth and you need to keep your options open. You could gain some height running the Volt's without a box, directly in the ceiling (infinite baffle setup). A couple members have done that with the larger Volt-10s and have posted positive results. Not sure if this would work for your setup or not.
post #22 of 67 Old 03-22-2017, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

In my experience 8.5ft. is more adequate for the ATMOS...just saying !
post #23 of 67 Old 03-22-2017, 05:22 PM

Liked: 1
Have a 5.1.2 setup with a 7' 6"-8" height. Running the budget but decent Pioneer Andrew Jones atmos enabled speakers and they work great from the limited amount of atmos material I have watched so far. The first atmos movie I watched I literally got up as I thought a helicopter or plane was flying over the house...realized it when I got out of the room...felt like a real winner in that moment...lol.

My biggest regret is my receiver will only do 5.2.2...wish I upgraded to one that would do 7.2.4.
post #24 of 67 Old 03-23-2017, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I wired for it and standing on the riser, my ceiling is only about 6.5'. I figure the wire and backer boxes were cheap, so why not.

The way I see it, anything overhead would add depth and dimension to the audio track.
post #25 of 67 Old 03-23-2017, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
How effective is correction like Audessy in dealing with less than ideal speaker placement?
post #26 of 67 Old 03-23-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 5070 Post(s)
Liked: 3546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouie View Post
How effective is correction like Audessy in dealing with less than ideal speaker placement?
It can compensate for differences in distance (by adjusting levels & delays) but it cannot do anything about differences in angle (azimuth & elevation). If your placement is asymmetrical, it's going to result in a lop-sided sound field.

Sanjay
post #27 of 67 Old 03-23-2017, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
post #28 of 67 Old 03-23-2017, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:

I have the exact height and 7.2.4 setup. Yes, it's likely not as defined. But I have 4 paradigms in the top and in the surround bed. It's noticeable and worth doing. I wouldn't recommend putting a ton of money into them because they are very under-utilized. I got the paradigm CI Pro's and I could have gotten the Homes and saved $700 (and put more into the center channel!).

In fact, for my space, I wish I would have went smaller more expensive bookshelfs and center, smaller in the top and surround, then more powerful in the subs and near field mid-bass. So clarity on the front 3, covering the space in the surrounds with something serviceable, powerful clean bass, and midbass behind the seating (which could be turned on and off).
JPeezy13 and Purenv like this.

Marantz 7010 for 7.2.4
2 x Paradigm Prestige 75F's
1 x Paradigm Prestige 55C
8 x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
Sub 2 x Rythmik LVX12's
TV: LG 65B6
post #29 of 67 Old 03-23-2017, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
I have the exact height and 7.2.4 setup. Yes, it's likely not as defined. But I have 4 paradigms in the top and in the surround bed. It's noticeable and worth doing. I wouldn't recommend putting a ton of money into them because they are very under-utilized. I got the paradigm CI Pro's and I could have gotten the Homes and saved $700 (and put more into the center channel!).

In fact, for my space, I wish I would have went smaller more expensive bookshelfs and center, smaller in the top and surround, then more powerful in the subs and near field mid-bass. So clarity on the front 3, covering the space in the surrounds with something serviceable, powerful clean bass, and midbass behind the seating (which could be turned on and off).
thank you for your response. i will be speaking with Erich from DIY also to gain his info. but after reading all these replies i think i will be doing Atmos and surround channels with Volt 6's. as far as the LCR... i will listen to whatever you all and Erich come up with. I was thinking of F-15's...
post #30 of 67 Old 03-23-2017, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
thank you for your response. i will be speaking with Erich from DIY also to gain his info. but after reading all these replies i think i will be doing Atmos and surround channels with Volt 6's. as far as the LCR... i will listen to whatever you all and Erich come up with. I was thinking of F-15's...
You won't regret it. You're already putting time energy and money. Might as well do it right

Marantz 7010 for 7.2.4
2 x Paradigm Prestige 75F's
1 x Paradigm Prestige 55C
8 x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
Sub 2 x Rythmik LVX12's
TV: LG 65B6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page