My Completed Theater but looking for Improvement Suggestions - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #31 of 74 Old 03-25-2017, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 440
and having said that last statement... You should check out Mississippiman, who is usually in the DIY screen sub
forum, and see what he is up to. He'd have a pretty solid paint screen recommendation, and some great advice
about tactile speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 03-25-2017, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalWhitey View Post
-I'll run 2 20A circuits to the room. That'll be 4800W. should be more than enough power.
Did bill gates say 640k pc memory ought to be enough for anyone? Just sayin.
post #33 of 74 Old 03-25-2017, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

But those were DOS days...

I'd expect one 15A circuit is enough, along with a 15A lighting circuit.

post #34 of 74 Old 03-26-2017, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I think it's all on preference. Me personally, I love the largest screen possible. Right now I'm at at 187" screen sitting about 18' back from the screen on ECO mode. I've played with all the zooms and I've never been on a smaller setting and said "wow this is so much better." The clarity looks the same to me. Can you notice a difference? The only reason I would shrink the screen size is to make room for speakers but I'm really hesitant to do that. Nobody ever went to an IMAX and said "wow did you hear that sound?" It's visual first for me. Here's projected on crappy drywall, eco mode 187" 16:9:
I did more testing and I tend to agree with you. Larger does look better in most ways. That's what I will go the largest that will fit the wall which is 135". Since I will order the edge free screen I always have the option of zooming is down if I want to.
post #35 of 74 Old 03-26-2017, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
A little progress. Hung the rest of the drywall. Still need to tape. Put up a temp shelf to check the projector height and seating. I think I'm going to place the projector 18" down from the ceiling to the bottom of the projector

I'm really debating this acostically transparent screen. I'd space the wall 3' from the existing wall like this:

the difference of moving the screen 3' closer:

My screen size would end up around 165" at 16:9. It would solve all my room for speaker issues, wouldn't really affect anything becuase I'm doing 1 row of seating. The only thing is access to the back closet door that would now be behind the screen. I would have to be able to swing the screen out of the way to access the room. Not sure if I want to do that because that door is the only access to the electric panel for the house.

Also worried about the budget. What's a ballpark figure for a 165" AC screen? I could build the frame, I just need to know what screen material to get. I read up on the DIY with spandex but I don't think you can make a spandex screen this size since they don't make spandex that wide.

Suggestions?
post #36 of 74 Old 03-27-2017, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don't forget to move your seating forward a bit too. If you like that big image, then you end up with the picture filling your vision, but
the image doesn't end up so close to the room boundaries. And if you can keep those boundaries so they absorb light coming off the screen,
then you don't actually kill your projector's contrast ratio. Most home theater designers will suggest using a ratio to around 80%, of the front
wall as screen.

Why can't that door be on the wall running perpendicular to the side wall of the theater? Or if it needs to be right where it is, does it need to be a
30" door? Would a 24" door do, and allow you to shrink the AT space depth, and park the extra 6" on the people side the AT screen wall?

Moving the seating forward, will give also give you more separation from the rear surrounds. And your seating needs are simple, so your room is
luxuriously spacious, so the small decisions can really start to add up, and you could really maximize the picture quality and sound quality out of
your gear.

If that were my space, I would start designing with thinking, I'd like to be seated around 11-12' off an AT screen. Then I would be looking at the viewing angle,
and trying to duplicate that, with maybe a little bit more relaxed number, as everyone else might not physically enjoy the push of the viewing angle. That would
shrink the screen size, up the pj's brightness, and if you moved that utility closet door outside the room. Then the AT space could produce some wiggle room, and
the depth could be dropped to 27-30". That gain could go behind the seating, and all that would improve the audio, with sit pretty for throw distances, for speakers.

You also might go to Projector Central and check out their projector calculator, and punch in a screen gain of .9 And don't forget to factor in some bulb wear because
the numbers the calculator will spit out, are fresh bulb numbers.
post #37 of 74 Old 03-27-2017, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Three identical speakers across the front with the tweeter at seated ear height will give you the most realistic front stage. Go with an AT screen, take a look at Falcon Screens or Seymor, and place all three speakers behind it. You can get by with 12" or less of space from the front of the speaker to the back of the screen. Best of luck.

New theater build thread

Would I have stayed happy not knowing how good it could be? -- My first theater in print -- My first build- Mocha Theater Construction
post #38 of 74 Old 03-28-2017, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can get by with a shallow depth but all three speakers will timbre shift. They'll sound the same, and I know
there isn't much emphasis being put on the audio side, but maybe there should be.

You want to also absorb the audio that comes off the backside of the screen. Ideally the speakers will be sitting
6" off the backside of that woven AT screen.

Just because it is a budget room, doesn't mean the little details don't add up. I'd venture those details add up
faster, in a budget room. The science is free, so why not use it, in a pro/con list to balance the desire for a big
screen experience?

A properly designed room doesn't start with screen size, it starts with the seats, and maybe a rough idea about
screen size. The real issue here, is the room is overly generous in length, for a single row of seats.
post #39 of 74 Old 04-13-2017, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Ok a little update For seating I'm really leaning toweard the Bassett Pit sectional.

https://www.bassettfurniture.com/Bec...re-DZ24650.asp

My wife is all for it and I think it'll work out. Taking advice, I am now planning on moving the seating off the wall which will help out with setting up the sound. An AT screen is just out of the budget for right now. I want to stayunder $1,000 for all speakers and AVR. Again, I'd love to do DIY speakers. Really leaning towards 7.1 surround. Here would be the layout:

For recievers I was thinking the Sony:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Channel-...words=sony+7.1

or Denon:

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-S72...ords=denon+7.1

For speakers, I really have no idea. I was thinking Tritrix MTM for the front 3 and Tritrix MT for the 4 surrounds. I have a sub from my Yamaha home theater in a box that I could use until I'd want to upgrade. Any suggestions on speakers, AVR is appreciated cause I'm really struggling to find something that would work.

As for updates, I started painting. This is the first coat. The color is Gotham Grey. Really happy with it. I wanted a bluish grey:

Started cutting up all the MDF for the ceiling. Started gluing and screwing the boxes together. 9 sheets cut up so far:

Any input on sound would be great. Again, under $1,000 blank slate right now.

Thanks!
post #40 of 74 Old 04-14-2017, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you are the guy wielding those tools, then is an AT screen really out of the budget?

Can't say I am a fan of that seating, for a home theater/media room. The side seating won't work for crowds, unless one likes
a stiff neck. And the non symmetry isn't a solid choice for audio.

But you are heading overall, in a good direction now.

I gather you are in Canada?
post #41 of 74 Old 04-14-2017, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Today's progress, cutting up crown and getting it mounted. Made a little fence and stop for the saw:

Halfway there. Still need the backing behind the crown. It's only mounted at the bottom now:

Funny thing with dark colors is you see all the imperfections so I took the time to fix some spots:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
If you are the guy wielding those tools, then is an AT screen really out of the budget?

Can't say I am a fan of that seating, for a home theater/media room. The side seating won't work for crowds, unless one likes
a stiff neck. And the non symmetry isn't a solid choice for audio.

But you are heading overall, in a good direction now.

I gather you are in Canada?

Tools are cheap compared to hiring people to do the work. But yeah at this time an AT isn't going to happen. As for the seating 99% of the time it's only me, my wife, and daughter using the room so the seating works for us. And I'm located outside Philadelphia.
post #42 of 74 Old 04-15-2017, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does the seating actually work when you think about how the L shaped nature is affecting the symmetry of everything forward of the
seating, and how you've effectively blocking the reflections off one wall, and how that impacts on spatial clues that brain uses, to process
the soundtrack?

The links were redirecting me to .ca websites, that's the first time I've seen that happen.

Yes tools are cheap. We're very much on the same page there. But with you being being accomplished, with a tool collection, plus
you being in the US, all might just add up to you not being aware of how inexpensive a high quality AT screen can be accomplished.
post #43 of 74 Old 05-05-2017, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

A little update. Started mounting the boxes to the ceiling:

Testing out the LED's as I get them mounted. Still need to wire everything together:

Speakers started arriving. Just got a PA460 sub and INUKE amp:

The rest of the speakers are supposed to be here Tuesday. I got 4, Fusion 6's and a Denon AVR-X1300W 7.2 AVR.
torii likes this.
post #44 of 74 Old 05-09-2017, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Rest of the Fusion 6's came today along with the AVR. It's like Christmas morning:

David Antolovic likes this.
post #45 of 74 Old 05-18-2017, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Is anyone even reading this? Built my control panel for the LED lights. Load balanced them to run an amplifier for each 30' of LED light. All comes off of one controller and 2 power supplies:

I'm still marveling at the picture quality even though its only projected on primed drywall. 185" and I take crappy cell phone pictures:

post #46 of 74 Old 05-18-2017, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Is anyone even reading this? Built my control panel for the LED lights. Load balanced them to run an amplifier for each 30' of LED light. All comes off of one controller and 2 power supplies:

I'm still marveling at the picture quality even though its only projected on primed drywall. 185" and I take crappy cell phone pictures:

Where did you get your led supplies? I will have many different strands as well and I am interested in how you have everything wired up, so feel free to go into more detail!

Making good progress, keep it up!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
post #47 of 74 Old 05-19-2017, 02:02 AM
Can't beat em, Join em!!

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
That Epson is a the best bang for your buck you can get projector wise!!

1000$ speaker budget can be done. Highly suggest keeping a close eye on the classifieds.

Sub wise, I say build your own. It's the only way to really save money on subs.
post #48 of 74 Old 05-19-2017, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

LED lights are 99% done. I have a little bit of wiring to cleanup, have to run speaker wires then I'm onto finishing the beams:

The light bleeds on the screen a little. Will turn them off for movies but not bad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMATTer81 View Post
Where did you get your led supplies? I will have many different strands as well and I am interested in how you have everything wired up, so feel free to go into more detail!

Making good progress, keep it up!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
I bought everything off of amazon
post #49 of 74 Old 05-20-2017, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
LED lights are 99% done. I have a little bit of wiring to cleanup, have to run speaker wires then I'm onto finishing the beams:

The light bleeds on the screen a little. Will turn them off for movies but not bad:

I bought everything off of amazon

Any details on what you purchased exactly for your LED set up?
post #50 of 74 Old 06-06-2017, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Update, this stuff takes forever but I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel for at least the ceiling. I mostly finished up the beams in the ceiling and mounted 8, 4" downlights:

starting to putty in the joints:

Also finishing out the projector mount. Still have to finish the crown and mount other trim

I put in a shelf so I can pull out the projector if I need to get to the side of it or anything:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMATTer81 View Post
Any details on what you purchased exactly for your LED set up?
I got an RGB controller with the RGB amplifiers. I used just regular RGB strip lights on Amazon. If you search amazon they'll come right up. The amplifiers took forever to come in so I'd buy from a different person. Whatever you do don't use these connectors:

They are garbage and I ended up getting rid of all of them and re-soldering other connectors on. I put regular LED strip lights for under-counter lights and didn't use any connectors. I soldered directly to the LED string. These light have been running 4 hours a day minimum for the last 3 years without any issues:

That's all for now
post #51 of 74 Old 06-07-2017, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Nice work! ×2 on those solderless connecters... just garbage.
Cost me hours troubleshooting.
Just solder and be done

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

klaatu barada nik*cough*
Denon AVR-X4300H/Turd Sony- 7.4.4
Polk Rti A9 LCR, Volt6 Surrounds and Heights
Inuke 3000,6000- 2x HO18 sealed, 2x Ultimax18 sealed, FBQ 2496
PT ae8000 Projector, Samsung 5900 3D BDP, Harmony Elite
Falcon 110 2:35.1 Screen
post #52 of 74 Old 06-11-2017, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I love the size of your screen!

I'm in the process of planning my room..... the TEDDMAX... inspired by the awesomeness of my local IMAX.

I notice your seating position is near the back of the room compared to mine:

How does your image look if you sit 9'9" away?

I have measured the viewing angle at my local IMAX (well, IMAX Digital) from my favorite seat and replicated it.

A few more images, and showing in Metric as well

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TEDDMAX Dims 1.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	2183257   Click image for larger version

Name:	TEDDMAX Dims 3.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	2183265   Click image for larger version

Name:	TEDDMAX Dims 2.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	2183273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Local IMAX Digital.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	2183281  
post #53 of 74 Old 08-10-2017, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well photobucket pretty much ruined this thread. I started using imgur, we'll see how well this works. Instead of editing all the original posts I'll just upload the highlight pictures and get back on track with progress. Here's the recap:

Start of the room:

Paint and nailers:

Jig setup to cut trim:

Making boxes:

Mounting boxes to the ceiling:

Wiring Board for the LED lights behind the crown:

Testing of LED's:

Mounted 4" lighting on the bottom of the beams:

Speakers came in and boxes were made:

Speakers mounted on the wall and screen was taken over by the boss. Final screen size will be 175" as shown:

More testing:

Routing out material for the component rack:

Component rack started. Yes, everything is on vibration isolators so the sub doesn't mess with the electronics:

Starting working on the columns for decoration and to hide the speakers:

Doors came in and trim is supposed to be in on Tuesday so hopefully some big progress will happen soon. These theater rooms really take a lot of time and I feel mine is pretty simple compared to most.
woodgieroo likes this.
post #54 of 74 Old 09-15-2017, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

More work continues on the column and wall paneling:

finishing getting all the trim up, now I need to move onto putty and caulk then I can start painting:

Framed out the window in the room. Before:

after:

It's starting to look less like a construction site and more like an actual movie room:

After I finish the sanding, caulking, painting I can move onto adding fabric into the room for the column inserts, trim around the screen wall, acoustic panels, and star ceiling. right now I hit the 6 month mark on this project but I can start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel
femi likes this.
post #55 of 74 Old 09-27-2017, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Everything is taped up and starting to paint:

Had a setback where my iNuke stopped working. I got the red ring on it, the tech guy said bad transformer. I had to send it out for repair. It's supposed to be back today so hopefully it won't be an issue anymore.
post #56 of 74 Old 10-02-2017, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Started on the fabric inserts for the columns:

post #57 of 74 Old 10-03-2017, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Your room is starting to look really nice.
post #58 of 74 Old 10-03-2017, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
Your room is starting to look really nice.

Thanks. It's exciting to start on the fabric panels. Now things are starting to look finished. I'm heading out tonight to look at carpet
post #59 of 74 Old 10-04-2017, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Simply awesome attention to detail. With the all the trim expertise going on here, I have to ask..are you in the trades? The fabric inserts you're doing look great.

Btw, for Chrome/Firefox users there are addons released that make the photobucket issue disappear: http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=163130

Working for now at least so you can at least view PB hidden images.

Last edited by dennwood; 10-04-2017 at 05:50 AM.
post #60 of 74 Old 10-04-2017, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennwood View Post
Simply awesome attention to detail. With the all the trim expertise going on here, I have to ask..are you in the trades? The fabric inserts you're doing look great.

Btw, for Chrome/Firefox users there are addons released that make the photobucket issue disappear: http://www.slotforum.com/forums/inde...owtopic=163130

Working for now at least so you can at least view PB hidden images.

Thanks for the link and no, I'm not in the trades. I'm just a weekend warrior with a saw, nailgun, and OCD. My dad always had the mentality that it's better to learn to do something yourself which I apparently adopted. A contractor would probably be able to get it done in half the time but I don't think the quality would be any better. Plus, the only thing I have left to buy is carpet and furniture and right now my all-in cost is $7,082.00. That includes all equipment, paint, trim, doors, electrical, ect. If I hired contractors for all this work, I couldn't even imagine what it would cost.

Current status:

idean, thrillcat and PreciseD like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page