My Completed Theater but looking for Improvement Suggestions - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #61 of 74 Old 10-05-2017, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Here's the top running carpet patterns (NOT COLORS)

the top runners right now are the 2 on the right. I'm leaning towards the bottom right but a little worried it will be too busy. Plus I'm not sure if I want to run that pattern flowing towards the screen, or perpendicular to the screen. Running it towards the screen will be cheaper due to the size and pattern match that is required. thoughts?

The colors will be dark blue like the walls. Here's the link to the colors:

http://www.dixie-home.com/web/forms/...5248&cId=67904

http://www.maslandcarpets.com/forms/...d=9532&cId=698
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 10-05-2017, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalWhitey View Post
Thanks for the link and no, I'm not in the trades. I'm just a weekend warrior with a saw, nailgun, and OCD. My dad always had the mentality that it's better to learn to do something yourself which I apparently adopted. A contractor would probably be able to get it done in half the time but I don't think the quality would be any better. Plus, the only thing I have left to buy is carpet and furniture and right now my all-in cost is $7,082.00. That includes all equipment, paint, trim, doors, electrical, ect. If I hired contractors for all this work, I couldn't even imagine what it would cost.

Current status:

My dad taught me the same. I couldn't image the cost of my whole home remodel if I hired it out... Very impressive attention to detail and I look forward to seeing the final result!

-Chris
post #63 of 74 Old 10-05-2017, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Well, hat's off. I'm torn between trimming everything out like yourself, or going for the hyper clean look like the Hobbit build..which I also like: Theater For Hobbits 2.0 - Mini 2.35 CIH Build in a 10x10 Alcove

post #64 of 74 Old 10-05-2017, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennwood View Post
Well, hat's off. I'm torn between trimming everything out like yourself, or going for the hyper clean look like the Hobbit build..which I also like:
There's no reason you can't do a combination of both and make it your own. These walls were my 2nd top runner inspiration.

I was going to use sharp edge'd modern trim like in the Metro collection from Garden State Lumber.

https://www.gardenstatelumber.com/mo...ro-collection/

You can do fabric panels with clean trim edges. You'd have the impressive trimwork that still has that clean appearance. And actually if I started over I'd pack out the wainscoting about 1.5" so I could put sound absorption and cream colored fabric instead of drywall.
post #65 of 74 Old 10-06-2017, 05:14 AM

Quote:
There's no reason you can't do a combination of both and make it your own. These walls were my 2nd top runner inspiration.

I was going to use sharp edge'd modern trim like in the Metro collection from Garden State Lumber.

https://www.gardenstatelumber.com/mo...ro-collection/

You can do fabric panels with clean trim edges. You'd have the impressive trimwork that still has that clean appearance. And actually if I started over I'd pack out the wainscoting about 1.5" so I could put sound absorption and cream colored fabric instead of drywall.
My plan was to have the lower wall portion of the drywall stepped out 1.5” so the entire upper 2/3 is absorption, but ending up flush with lower for a seamless look. Need to decide in next few days as boarding begins this weekend...
post #66 of 74 Old 10-06-2017, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Do that and you'll suck the high frequencies right out of the room. You also might end up with some slap echoes in the room.

That is one seriously beautiful room, but it isn't a room designed for quality audio or serious viewing.
post #67 of 74 Old 10-06-2017, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Do that and you'll suck the high frequencies right out of the room. You also might end up with some slap echoes in the room.

That is one seriously beautiful room, but it isn't a room designed for quality audio or serious viewing.
I disagree about not being designed for quality audio or viewing but it’s all relative. Once I put up acoustical treatments, I’d put my theater room up against 80% of the home theaters as far as sound and picture quality. Sure, on a forum that specializes in home theaters and probably contains the upper echelon of home theater rooms, my room is a complete pile of garbage by those standards. But then again, those rooms contain projectors that cost more than my entire project. Much like how craft beer, wine, and cigar snobs who are used to certain things are always telling people how everything else sucks, I'm sure it's the same with home theaters. I left a lot of room for future upgrades and everyone needs a startpoint. But as my daughter watches her movies and I watch the Eagles, the last thing I'm thinking to myself is, "Man, when am I going to get serious about picture viewing?"

post #68 of 74 Old 10-06-2017, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
The screen size looks awesome, but I take it you will only have one row of seats since your room is 20' long? Recommended viewing for that big of a screen is 16'. That is differently an IMAX viewing experience. I see the speakers are at the sides and bottom. So you didn't AT on the screen?

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #69 of 74 Old 10-06-2017, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
The screen size looks awesome, but I take it you will only have one row of seats since your room is 20' long? Recommended viewing for that big of a screen is 16'. That is differently an IMAX viewing experience. I see the speakers are at the sides and bottom. So you didn't AT on the screen?
Thanks. I'm actually doing a pit couch so yeah it'll be only 1 row. I might do a bar behind the couch but I want to see how everything falls into place first. And for the screen it's a painted wall. Future upgrade will be an AT screen so I can move up the center channel.
post #70 of 74 Old 10-06-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 440
I wasn't making mention of your room. You were provided with information and you made informed choices as to what was
most important to you. You showcased your woodworking skills and wanted a massive screen.

Nobody said anything sucked, except for pointing out there was some pretty serious home theater design issues with that Garden
State Lumber room, and that maybe some further consideration might be in order. That is being pointed out to others, who will read
this thread, and maybe get to question things and avoid those mistakes, or achieve better results, at $0 expenditure.
post #71 of 74 Old 10-06-2017, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
I wasn't making mention of your room. You were provided with information and you made informed choices as to what was
most important to you. You showcased your woodworking skills and wanted a massive screen.

Nobody said anything sucked, except for pointing out there was some pretty serious home theater design issues with that Garden
State Lumber room, and that maybe some further consideration might be in order. That is being pointed out to others, who will read
this thread, and maybe get to question things and avoid those mistakes, or achieve better results, at $0 expenditure.
Oh ok, I thought you meant my room was no bueno. I know my room has flaws but I didn't think it was that bad. And yeah I agree about the other room. I was originally going to have the couch against the wall but changed that due to advice on this forum
post #72 of 74 Old 10-06-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I disagree about not being designed for quality audio or viewing but it’s all relative. Once I put up acoustical treatments, I’d put my theater room up against 80% of the home theaters as far as sound and picture quality. Sure, on a forum that specializes in home theaters and probably contains the upper echelon of home theater rooms, my room is a complete pile of garbage by those standards. But then again, those rooms contain projectors that cost more than my entire project. Much like how craft beer, wine, and cigar snobs who are used to certain things are always telling people how everything else sucks, I'm sure it's the same with home theaters. I left a lot of room for future upgrades and everyone needs a startpoint. But as my daughter watches her movies and I watch the Eagles, the last thing I'm thinking to myself is, "Man, when am I going to get serious about picture viewing?"

Looks pretty epic! After doing a lot of research on acoustics, and building a few spaces myself, I honestly believe the 20% diffusion/20% absorption will get you 90% of the way to a nice sounding room. One might argue that your ceiling treatment is already a nice diffusion surface :-) Honestly, this is shaping up to be one of the nicest theaters I've seen here.
post #73 of 74 Old 10-07-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
So a coffered ceiling helps with defusion I take it?

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #74 of 74 Old 10-08-2017, 08:30 PM

Any irregular structure should help with difffusion...whether detectable or not, pretty hard to say. What I really like about Whiteys multiple coffers is the potential easy of integrating diffusion or absorption at the base of each, depending on needs. I’m dealing with a very low ceiling, so options there are zero.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page