not-so-dedicated HT questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-20-2017, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
not-so-dedicated HT questions

Admittedly these two questions are fairly idle ones, but I enjoy reading these forums and I've been wondering about this. I have plenty of open space in my unfinished cellar for a small HT room (13 x 15) but it's pretty unlikely that in the near future I'm going to go through the process of putting up walls, finishing the ceiling, dealing with venting and building codes, wiring, and so on. That said, I've been thinking about the possibility of creating a kind of temporary movie space: putting up a decent projector (like an Epson 5030), a screen, and a basic 5.1 audio system. And I've got two questions:

1) Is it realistic to wall-in this space with curtains? Without getting into it, there are joists and other existing structures that would make it fairly easy to put up curtains that could be pulled around to serve as temporary walls and enclose the space (using one wall of the cellar). This would easily control the lighting and convey a sense of enclosure. What would be the disadvantages? I assume the main answer is: sound. I don't care about soundproofing to keep noise from leaking into the rest of the house, but I don't know how much surround sound (5 speakers) depends on walls for their effect. I don't need perfection (obviously!) but I wouldn't want to have sonic mush.

2) The cellar remains a fairly constant temperature and there's not a lot of moisture (and never standing water). But it's an unfinished basement in a country house. How sensitive is a projector to this kind of environment? Are dust covers effective? would the humidity (relatively low but still...) make it a hopeless frustration? Will the screen warp?

I should add that one advantage to starting with a temporary space is that I can build the room I want later, once I have a better sense of how it's all working--and whether it's a space that my family would use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-20-2017, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 171
You should be able to set up a "temporary" theater that will meet your needs without spending a lot of money or time.

You are right, the main disadvantage will be a lack of sound isolation. Most people think about the issue with sound getting out and bothering people in other areas of the house, and possibly neighboring houses if they are close by. The other issue is keeping sounds out, in order to lower the noise floor and keeping the space quiet. It sounds like you are willing to work around those issues.

If you are comfortable with the temperature and humidity, your projector will be also. If you are concerned about dust, put a large plastic garbage bag over the projector when you are not using it. The kind with the draw-string type "handles" might be easiest.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-20-2017, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the encouraging reply, Dave! It sounds like it might actually be doable. I probably won't be posting any pictures out here (!), but I can at least post my appreciation.

post #4 of 4 Old 03-20-2017, 07:53 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3827 Post(s)
Liked: 3263
Quote:
Originally Posted by northman View Post
Will the screen warp?
most reasonable quality screens have an extruded aluminum frame and the screen surface is under tension. Just avoid anything made of wood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page