Chunky's attempt at a theater. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 4 Unread 04-12-2017, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Chunky's attempt at a theater.

I finally received the go ahead from the wife to start a theater build in our basement. Given that our basement was already completely finished, I knew I'd be somewhat limited as to what I could do. Also because budget is a concern I'm doing as much of the work as I can myself. Progress to date has been:

1. Demo 2 adjoining rooms (down to the studs and foundation).
2. Removal of the load bearing wall that separated what was previously 2 rooms and replaced with a load bearing beam.
3. Removed/filled in 2 windows, the final space will still have 4 windows that I plan to build inserts for so that if needed could be removed for use of the windows. (3 on the back wall, 1 behind screen wall)
4. Re-routed some HVAC to insure proper air flow to the new space
4. Framed in new theater space.

So I'm at the point where I'm thinking electrical. There is already 2 separate 15amp lines running to the space. I have 2 open spots on my panel so I could potentially run 2 more 15-20amp circuits. This is where my confidence starts to go downhill. As I research different lighting options I'm having a hard time figuring out what I need and where (kind of important when deciding where to run the wire).

The load bearing beam sort of divides the room into a front and back area.

I have a Crestron CLS-C6 that I plan to use for my lighting zones, so maybe...
Zone 1
I was planning to do a coffered ceiling in the back and have either rope or led lighting around the perimeter of each square.

Zone 2
maybe a 4" or 5" can in the center of each square of the coffered ceiling.

Zone 3
Wall Sconces around the room

Zone 4
Step lighting around the riser and front of the stage (should these be grouped together or not)

Zone 5
Some 5" or 6" can lights for the front part of room

Zone 6
maybe some lights above the stage

I've attached my SketchUp pics of the existing space blueprint along with what I'm thinking the final space will look like. I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has both about lighting and placement, and my plans in general as I guess now is the time to make changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater Room Blueprint.png
Views:	31
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	2080521   Click image for larger version

Name:	3d Theater Wide Shot.png
Views:	29
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	2080529   Click image for larger version

Name:	3d Theater View of Back.png
Views:	27
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	2080537  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Unread 04-12-2017, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Since this is a build thread I thought I should post some of the progress photos.

1. Is a shot of the 2 entrances to each room, along with a pile of drywall in each room.
2. A shot of the first room which will be the back of the theater with 3 windows that will remain and have inserts made to block them off. The window to the right will be filled in. Notice the missing insulation in the 2 cavities in the corner, one of a few things I found when removing the walls...
3. A shot of that room all cleaned up
4. The other room showing the screen wall also with a window that will stay but be covered.
5. What was a closet and load bearing wall separating the 2 rooms.
6. Farther back shot from the back of the room to front prior to wall removal.
7. Wall removed and beam in place. If budget wasn't an issue I would have explored the cost of a steel beam.
8,9. We had unusually warm weather in Feb, so I removed the 2 windows and replaced with scrap siding I had (needs dirt washed off to look a little better).
10. New framing up, and proper 6" ductwork placed. The 2 rooms previously had 2 4" runs that did nothing for the space, also added a properly sized cold air return.
11. New double door entrance added (I know this will be harder for sound isolation, but wife had to have double doors).

If there is any interest, I can keep updating as I progress.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5470.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	2080785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5467.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	2080801   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5471.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	2080809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5469.JPG
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	2080817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5475.JPG
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	2080833  

Name:	IMG_5497.JPG
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	2080841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5501.JPG
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	2080849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5537.JPG
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	2080857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5536.JPG
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	2080889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5621.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	2080897  

Name:	IMG_5616.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	2080905  
post #3 of 4 Unread 04-12-2017, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkySedated View Post
I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has both about lighting and placement, and my plans in general as I guess now is the time to make changes.
Welcome to the build stage! It's exciting and draining at the same time. I am sure you are worn out a little bit with all that work you have done! Demo and clean up goes totally unappreciated.

Your framing of the new door looks much better than the framing of the closet you tore down. A pet peeve of mine is i have seen several times of the jack-stud not continued from the top of the header to the plate. The only thing that I would suggest would be to add a couple of horizontal studs between your king stud and the next one over, maybe were some hinges maybe located. Since you are going with dual doors, you may end up wanting to make them doors heavy for the mass of sound absorption, and it pays to have the door framing beefed up like you did with the double jacks. Other than that..looks good.

Wiring.
Sincha's going to be doing electrical anyway, utilize the 2 existing circuits that are already in the room as room power only and lights. This would be for lights, the vacuum, and power recliners, and charging of your Tablet for system control. Basically all the accessories you want in room, but not the equipment. If you plug a sub-woofer into these circuits with lights or accessories, you may end up with a aggravating hum in your sub that you won't be able to get rid of, (aka ground loop).
To avoid this, utilize those other 2 slots in the service panel and run 12 gauge romex for them, ( 20 amp capable) .
Install one of them dedicated to equipment location.
Install the other one to the front of the room for sub-woofer power only. Extend that sub-woofer circuit to other locations, based on your layout, of where you would potentially want additional sub-woofers. 2, 3 or even 4 sub's now days is not uncommon at all.

Everyone always likes photos. Keep 'em coming. As the saying goes, a it's worth about a 1000 words.

Good luck! Remember, "It's gotta get worse before it gets better."

JAMES JONES
HT1.0 | HT2.0

post #4 of 4 Unread Today, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

I’ve been wanting to start running my electrical for the past couple of weekends, but I keep going back and forth for my low voltage lighting plans. What I’m leaning towards is 3 “Zones” of LED RGB strip lights.

Zone 1: Coffered ceiling (consisting of 9 squarish sections)
Zone 2: Riser/step
Zone 3: Stage area

I’m thinking each zone would have it’s own appropriately sized transformer, along with a controller for dimming/changing color. These would all be located in my equipment closet.

My questions:
1. For my rough in, should I run cat6 from the equipment closet to each zone location or something else?
2. If I have 3 separate color controllers/remotes that are all the same, does each pair have unique IR codes, or will trying to change a color for one zone also change the colors for the others?
3. If the transformer is dimmable, is it possible to wire the AC supply from a zone on the Crestron CLS-C6 to utilize the LED zone in various scenes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction